Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    I just wonder if there is going to be any hangover from the way Ship closed last night. When a team lays 23 points on you in 2 1/2 minutes, it might leave some scars.
    Either that or it will fire them up. The thing is, they hung on and won. A loss would have been devastating. They've had a lot of tough games recently, and it seems they might have just thought they had it in the bag and gotten careless. Indiana got way up on Lock Haven the other night and ended up in a tussle with them. Basketball is always a game of runs, and play around the league has been somewhat erratic this season. Some teams look like world-beaters one game and not so good the next. As least Ship has been fairly steady since Biss returned, and that's why they find themselves in a good position at present. As I said elsewhere, you never know what will happen in an East Stroud game. We could take care of them, or it very easily could go the other way. Ship will need to play good defense to stop ESU from setting up its press.

Comment

• East Stroudsburg 27, Ship 23 at the break. Lot of defense. Raiders shooting 32 percent from the floor, 22 percent from 3-point.

A couple of Warriors play well off the ground.

Comment

• Ship 43, ESU 42, 7:55 left.

Comment

• ESU wins 59-54 More later.

Comment

• A very gritty, gutsy performance from an ESU team that came out of the locker room very flat on Wednesday night against Millersville. Lock Haven on Wednesday at Koehler Fieldhouse. Hope to see the same intensity from the Warriors.

Comment

• Millsip dropped some daggers on us. Sweet shooter.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                A very gritty, gutsy performance from an ESU team that came out of the locker room very flat on Wednesday night against Millersville. Lock Haven on Wednesday at Koehler Fieldhouse. Hope to see the same intensity from the Warriors.
                Hey, ESU has a very deep and talented team. I think they're coming on and their record going into the game didn't fool me a bit. Loads of credit to the ESU defense (Ship played well on D as well after an almost-debacle at Mansfield Wednesday night). But I gotta say Ship shot the ball poorly as well. That might have been as off as I've ever seen Jake Biss. He finally threw in a three in the last minute, but it was too little, too late. The PSAC is a dogfight this season, and I expect it will go to the final days.

Comment

Millsip dropped some daggers on us. Sweet shooter.
                  Millsip was 1-11 from 3pt range prior to today. He got hot at the right time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Hey, ESU has a very deep and talented team. I think they're coming on and their record going into the game didn't fool me a bit. Loads of credit to the ESU defense (Ship played well on D as well after an almost-debacle at Mansfield Wednesday night). But I gotta say Ship shot the ball poorly as well. That might have been as off as I've ever seen Jake Biss. He finally threw in a three in the last minute, but it was too little, too late. The PSAC is a dogfight this season, and I expect it will go to the final days.
                    After today, Ship, I'm convinced Biss is just not right. He can't create his own shot like he did before. If a calf injury kept him out for the first month of the season, it had to be a pretty bad calf injury.

Also, Ship's depth is very questionable. If that was Geoff Helm in a walking boot on the bench, Fite has only seven guys he can count on. (And he should use Mike Dunn a little more. Next-level deep sniper.)

But all credit to East Strouds too. They made the plays down the stretch, and they took baseline on us all day.

Comment

After today, Ship, I'm convinced Biss is just not right. He can't create his own shot like he did before. If a calf injury kept him out for the first month of the season, it had to be a pretty bad calf injury.

Also, Ship's depth is very questionable. If that was Geoff Helm in a walking boot on the bench, Fite has only seven guys he can count on. (And he should use Mike Dunn a little more. Next-level deep sniper.)

But all credit to East Strouds too. They made the plays down the stretch, and they took baseline on us all day.
                      Yeah, I've thought that as well. He looked good his first week back, but seems to be in something of a funk since then. Luckily, Johnson, Carter, and Hardy have been able to pick up some of the slack, but that didn't work today. That was Helm in the walking boot. I noticed he had been playing in the Mansfield game, which I though was odd as he seemed to be coming along a bit. Too bad as he lost last year and now will be out some this year, which won't help his development. And he was nice to have coming in as the eighth man with his 6-6 height. Our other RS freshmen guards have some skills, but are short.

I agree that maybe Dunn should pick up more minutes. He seems pretty steady and seems to be getting more confident in his shot. I don't think Biss came out at all today. We're still in good shape, but ESU is one of the few teams in the PSAC with good depth this year and that will be problematic for Ship if we get anybody else injured or have Covid issues.

Comment

• Another game ... and another close loss for Shepherd.

The Rams are now 5-8. Consider:

* (7) losses by 8 points or less -- (4) of those by 4 points or less.

* Shepherd is giving up just 65.2 ppg -- 2nd best in the PSAC
                        * Shepherd is scoring just 65.7 ppg -- worst in the PSAC

The Rams' top scorer, Dan McClain-Corley, has been out almost a month. The dynamic, 6'5" guard was scoring 18.5 ppg before his injury against Pitt-Johnstown.

If they could figure out how to make just a few more baskets a game ... that record would be much, much different.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Another game ... and another close loss for Shepherd.

The Rams are now 5-8. Consider:

* (7) losses by 8 points or less -- (4) of those by 4 points or less.

* Shepherd is giving up just 65.2 ppg -- 2nd best in the PSAC
                          * Shepherd is scoring just 65.7 ppg -- worst in the PSAC

The Rams' top scorer, Dan McClain-Corley, has been out almost a month. The dynamic, 6'5" guard was scoring 18.5 ppg before his injury against Pitt-Johnstown.

If they could figure out how to make just a few more baskets a game ... that record would be much, much different.
                          They have some legit players. Due to all the postponements, they've only played a couple of games in the past month (last night's was their first in two weeks), so many of the losses were before the McClain-Corley injury. Cam Stephens, their other guard, is a tough defensive matchup at 6-4 and more than 200 pounds. They have some other big kids as well. Their defense keeps them in games, but they haven't gotten the big shots to fall. It's a cliche to say so, but I'm sure they're one of the best teams around with a 1-6 league record. Ship's trip down there later this season will not be easy.

Ship played extremely well in spurts, not so well at other times. Johnson had another great game as sixth man to bail them out. Biss got into foul trouble and still doesn't seem to be at the level we expect from him, but he did hit a couple of big three-pointers late. Carter clinched the game in the final minute with a sidestep three-pointer after the lead had dwindled to one. No nights off in the PSAC this season. I expect the Saturday game with Lock Haven to be another tussle.

Comment

• I don't know if this was Carlos Carter's MO growing up, but it just seems like his production doesn't quite match his physical skills. A tweener with his jumping ability should be averaging in the high teens, IMO.

Comment

I don't know if this was Carlos Carter's MO growing up, but it just seems like his production doesn't quite match his physical skills. A tweener with his jumping ability should be averaging in the high teens, IMO.
                              I think he's fine. Johnson is a similar player with a little more ball-handling finesse. They're both slashers who excel in an open-court game. I think that's why Wilson ran a more controlled press than usual to slow down the game when they played ESU. With Biss, Johnson, Sleva, Hardy, and Nedrow all capable of double-digit scoring on a given night, it's going to be hard for Carter to get enough touches to average in the high teens.

Comment

• Ship leads Lock Haven 31-24 at half. LHU shooting 23 percent from the floor topped only by Ship's 22-percent shooting from the foul line (really). Biss looking for his shot more, has 11 at the break.

A lot of buzz around Fite suddenly burning the redshirt of freshman guard Satchel Ball. He played the last seven minutes of the half.
                                Last edited by jrshooter; 01-22-2022, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X