Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They need to get more out of their bench. It was good at least to see Recchia put up double digits. I think Trey Martin might be contributing something before the season ends. He's a freshman, but a good prospect They're going to need him or someone else to step up from the three-point line. That area has been pretty dismal in two of the first three games. Haven't got a chance to talk to coach lately, but I noticed today that Mike Smith, the transfer from Kutztown, is no longer listed on the roster. Have you heard anything about what happened there? I think he was brought in to give them some experience at guard, so that is a significant loss. Unusual to have that sort of drama at Ship. I also noticed Frank hasn't played — perhaps RS is in store for him. He had an outstanding senior year in HS, but I noticed from his videos that he is chiefly an inside player and they might want to give him more seasoning considering they already have four senior forwards on the team.
    I watched Frank several times in high school. IUP also went after him. He was a pretty clear redshirt candidate (I know IUP told him he would redshirt). He's paper thin for this level. He needs a year to hit the weights. Great potential. He just needs to bulk up a bit.

He was kind of a tweener, size-wise. He was a 'big' in high school but at best will be a small forward in D2. I thought when IUP was recruiting him they looked at him as kind of a G/SF hybrid.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I watched Frank several times in high school. IUP also went after him. He was a pretty clear redshirt candidate (I know IUP told him he would redshirt). He's paper thin for this level. He needs a year to hit the weights. Great potential. He just needs to bulk up a bit.

He was kind of a tweener, size-wise. He was a 'big' in high school but at best will be a small forward in D2. I thought when IUP was recruiting him they looked at him as kind of a G/SF hybrid.
      You effectively put into words what I've been thinking. Ship probably is a good place for him to take a year to bulk up and watch how our experienced forwards play this year. He is kind of a tweener inside, so he'll have to put on some weight to play inside at the college level — either that or work on an outside shot.

Comment

Kutztown is 0-3 ... didn't see that coming.

Three nail-biting losses. I think they'll get it going.

Nice win for West Chester over Virginia State.
        Damien's team might be better than expected although they lost a few to the portal. He's got some nice guards and also several big bodies up front. WCU under Damien has usually been erratic, but often dangerous.

Comment

• Yeah, it looks like Frank and Toure are the odd men out this time around. I won't count Helm, because I know he'd be forcing PT if he wasn't hurt or something. Everyone else, Fite has been rotating in and out."

It does look like his starting lineup -- Sleva, Carter, Nedrow, Johnson, Recchia -- is his crunch-time five. I was very enthused by Recchia last night, that he showed every sign of pushing the ball and creating offense. I've liked him since his HS days at Mars.

The Ship picture is the same as it has been since Dustin Sleva left. They put five solid PSAC players on the floor; they aren't hiding anyone, and four of them are veterans. Sleva will get you the occasional double-double, but nobody is a star. Personally, I believe Carter SHOULD be at this point. I think he has the athleticism, body and knowledge to be somewhat dominant in this conference. But you think that, look at the stat sheet, and he has 11 points and eight rebounds or something like that.

Whether that five-man balance is a blessing or a curse -- as usual, we'll have to cross our fingers and hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
            Yeah, it looks like Frank and Toure are the odd men out this time around. I won't count Helm, because I know he'd be forcing PT if he wasn't hurt or something. Everyone else, Fite has been rotating in and out."

It does look like his starting lineup -- Sleva, Carter, Nedrow, Johnson, Recchia -- is his crunch-time five. I was very enthused by Recchia last night, that he showed every sign of pushing the ball and creating offense. I've liked him since his HS days at Mars.

The Ship picture is the same as it has been since Dustin Sleva left. They put five solid PSAC players on the floor; they aren't hiding anyone, and four of them are veterans. Sleva will get you the occasional double-double, but nobody is a star. Personally, I believe Carter SHOULD be at this point. I think he has the athleticism, body and knowledge to be somewhat dominant in this conference. But you think that, look at the stat sheet, and he has 11 points and eight rebounds or something like that.

Whether that five-man balance is a blessing or a curse -- as usual, we'll have to cross our fingers and hope.
            Well, I'd have to say Johnson has the potential to be a star based on some of his performances of last year. Carter has improved his three-point shooting over his time at Ship, but he's still somewhat of a "feel" shooter out there; you're never quite sure if you're going to get a 50 percent three-point night or the 0-fer he had in the opening game. Johnson and Sleva also can be very streaky outside. I think they'll need one of the guards outside of Recchia to provide something of a three-point threat. I think they have several kids capable of doing it, but one of them has to step up and get it done.

Comment

Well, I'd have to say Johnson has the potential to be a star based on some of his performances of last year. Carter has improved his three-point shooting over his time at Ship, but he's still somewhat of a "feel" shooter out there; you're never quite sure if you're going to get a 50 percent three-point night or the 0-fer he had in the opening game. Johnson and Sleva also can be very streaky outside. I think they'll need one of the guards outside of Recchia to provide something of a three-point threat. I think they have several kids capable of doing it, but one of them has to step up and get it done.
              As always, I like that all five guys Fite puts on the floor will put up the 3, even Nedrow. If I have my druthers, I think I'd like to see Carter crashing the lane more. He can rise above longer defenders.

Incidentally, about that Wilmington fan horning in on the action late last night, it dawned on me what precipitated it. About 30 seconds left, Carter hit a foul shot for a four-point lead and immediately turned to the Wilmington students and gave them the "shush" sign. Certainly not excusing the fan, but I see the cause and effect now.
              Last edited by jrshooter; 11-17-2022, 07:35 PM.

Comment

As always, I like that all five guys Fite puts on the floor will put up the 3, even Nedrow. If I have my druthers, I think I'd like to see Carter crashing the lane more. He can rise above longer defenders.

Incidentally, about that Wilmington fan horning in on the action late last night, it dawned on me what precipitated it. About 30 seconds left, Carter hit a foul shot for a four-point lead and immediately turned to the Wilmington students and gave them the "shush" sign. Certainly not excusing the fan, but I see the cause and effect now.
                You go on the floor like that (as a fan) you should be arrested -- same as on the professional level. That's scary stuff. With all the shootings and stuff in this society ... thankfully that ended the way it did.

Comment

Well, great that they'll put them up as the simplest adage in basketball is that you can't score if you don't shoot. That being said, some of them have to go into the basket. The three-pointer is definitely a double-edged sword. Get in a hot streak with them and you can bury an opponent in a few minutes. But get three-point happy and start firing them up willy-nilly and you can take yourself out of a game just as quickly. These last couple of years I'm never more nervous than when Ship jumps out quickly and gets a big lead early — the offensive sets get sloppy, the long-range barrage starts, and suddenly that 16-point lead becomes 2 or 3. Ship has some good players who can get hot this season, but I really don't see the pure shooters they've had at times in the past. I have a feeling this will be a roller coaster-style season on offense.

Comment

• Kutztown loses another close one. The Golden Bears are now 0-4.

Comment

Well, great that they'll put them up as the simplest adage in basketball is that you can't score if you don't shoot. That being said, some of them have to go into the basket. The three-pointer is definitely a double-edged sword. Get in a hot streak with them and you can bury an opponent in a few minutes. But get three-point happy and start firing them up willy-nilly and you can take yourself out of a game just as quickly. These last couple of years I'm never more nervous than when Ship jumps out quickly and gets a big lead early — the offensive sets get sloppy, the long-range barrage starts, and suddenly that 16-point lead becomes 2 or 3. Ship has some good players who can get hot this season, but I really don't see the pure shooters they've had at times in the past. I have a feeling this will be a roller coaster-style season on offense.
                      Wilmington beat up West Chester last night.

Comment

Thank God that game wasn't on the pick-em! I'd have had WC for sure. (Just like that sucker bet on Cal) ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Thank God that game wasn't on the pick-em! I'd have had WC for sure. (Just like that sucker bet on Cal) ; )

That Cal game was tricky. Franklin Pierce is a pretty strong program. They gave a really good Cal team quite a run a year ago before the Vulcans pulled away late. Cal better get their dudes back soon. Three losses prior to the turkey dinner is extremely problematic.

Comment

Well, as I posted above: "WCU under Damien has usually been erratic, but often dangerous." As someone else said, I'm glad I didn't have to pick that one.

The good take on this for Ship fans is that maybe Wilmington is stronger than usual and that, combined with two close losses to talented Virginia Union and Virginia State teams, means Ship is on the right competitive track. We'll know more after Ship faces what appears to be a very improved Seton Hill team tonight at Greensburg, A 1-3 start would be a load to overcome, especiallly with teams such as Bowie State, Cal, Fairmont State, and Mercyhurst (at Erie) still on the agenda before the Christmas break.

Comment

• I'm not too sure Ship is on the right competitive track.

Comment

I'm not too sure Ship is on the right competitive track.
                                Looking at the rotation from game to game it's pretty obvious Coach Fite hasn't found a backcourt combo he's satisfied with. Still not sure what blew up the Kutztown transfer. He seems to be giving the four veteran forwards a huge amount of minutes. I wonder if he wouldn't be better off bringing one of them off the bench (Johnson was very good in a sixth-man role) and giving some of the young guards some minutes. They certainly need more consistent three-point shooting, and some of the youngsters have, I believe, the potential to be very good from long range. Carter has had two horrible games shooting the three, an o-fer in the opening game and only one made yesterday. He and Johnson have scored respectable numbers, but probably not at the level we need. Shiip is not going to have a great season if Sleva and Nedrow are consistently our scoring leaders, as they were two of the first four games. So far it's the worst-case scenario for this season — growing pains in the backcourt and an early season schedule that doesn't leave a lot of room for experiment. I'll be there Monday for the first home game. It will be interesting to observe things first-hand, and we'll see if they can right the Ship. I expected some problems, but am somewhat surprised at the extent of the disarray so far.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X