Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Looking at the rotation from game to game it's pretty obvious Coach Fite hasn't found a backcourt combo he's satisfied with. Still not sure what blew up the Kutztown transfer. He seems to be giving the four veteran forwards a huge amount of minutes. I wonder if he wouldn't be better off bringing one of them off the bench (Johnson was very good in a sixth-man role) and giving some of the young guards some minutes. They certainly need more consistent three-point shooting, and some of the youngsters have, I believe, the potential to be very good from long range. Carter has had two horrible games shooting the three, an o-fer in the opening game and only one made yesterday. He and Johnson have scored respectable numbers, but probably not at the level we need. Shiip is not going to have a great season if Sleva and Nedrow are consistently our scoring leaders, as they were two of the first four games. So far it's the worst-case scenario for this season — growing pains in the backcourt and an early season schedule that doesn't leave a lot of room for experiment. I'll be there Monday for the first home game. It will be interesting to observe things first-hand, and we'll see if they can right the Ship. I expected some problems, but am somewhat surprised at the extent of the disarray so far.

Not that anybody cares, but my opinion regarding Ship after watching the full game last night:

* Offensive identity: I have no idea. To me, it looks like Fite is still trying to run the same offense as if Hardy and Biss were still on the floor. They aren't -- and, this team should not be tossing up 23 shots from deep. They aren't going to win up-and-down, fast-paced shootouts.

* Defense: Lost (more on that later)

* One thing I can tell you for sure, Rashon Johnson playing just 26 minutes was a travesty. He should never come off the floor. He brings too much at both ends. Hell, move him out to guard, point guard, wherever. OK, maybe not PG, but you get the point. Arguably the best player/athlete on the team can't play 26 minutes. I can tell you first-hand, IUP was terrified of him last year.

* Carlos Carter should not be chucking 9 treys a game. That's not his game. He's a dynamic slasher and mid-range guy. He's very tough for smaller guards to handle in space. Sitting him out there on the wing like a sharp-shooter is not the right use of his skills.

* The guards were overmatched last night. Sounds like that was the fear entering the season. I think Fite needs to scrap the playbook. This roster isn't built to play like previous years. But, this roster does have solid post players. Many of them. I'd go old-school PSAC ball with this team. Slow. Like, crawling slow. Pound the ball down low. Let Carlos drive the hoop all day long. He'll likely either score, get fouled or dish off to a waiting big for an easy bucket. To be honest, I'd probably move Carlos to PG for this season.

* Defensively, they just looked lethargic and disinterested. Seton Hill did whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted. Seton Hill hit 13 treys and I'd say 11 of the 13 didn't have a Ship defender within 7' of the shooter. Wide open looks. The Griffins were also driving the hoop way too easily.

I think Fite can get things turned around but the style of play has to change real quickly. He has to play the cards on the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not that anybody cares, but my opinion regarding Ship after watching the full game last night:

* Offensive identity: I have no idea. To me, it looks like Fite is still trying to run the same offense as if Hardy and Biss were still on the floor. They aren't -- and, this team should not be tossing up 23 shots from deep. They aren't going to win up-and-down, fast-paced shootouts.

* Defense: Lost (more on that later)

* One thing I can tell you for sure, Rashon Johnson playing just 26 minutes was a travesty. He should never come off the floor. He brings too much at both ends. Hell, move him out to guard, point guard, wherever. OK, maybe not PG, but you get the point. Arguably the best player/athlete on the team can't play 26 minutes. I can tell you first-hand, IUP was terrified of him last year.

* Carlos Carter should not be chucking 9 treys a game. That's not his game. He's a dynamic slasher and mid-range guy. He's very tough for smaller guards to handle in space. Sitting him out there on the wing like a sharp-shooter is not the right use of his skills.

* The guards were overmatched last night. Sounds like that was the fear entering the season. I think Fite needs to scrap the playbook. This roster isn't built to play like previous years. But, this roster does have solid post players. Many of them. I'd go old-school PSAC ball with this team. Slow. Like, crawling slow. Pound the ball down low. Let Carlos drive the hoop all day long. He'll likely either score, get fouled or dish off to a waiting big for an easy bucket. To be honest, I'd probably move Carlos to PG for this season.

* Defensively, they just looked lethargic and disinterested. Seton Hill did whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted. Seton Hill hit 13 treys and I'd say 11 of the 13 didn't have a Ship defender within 7' of the shooter. Wide open looks. The Griffins were also driving the hoop way too easily.

I think Fite can get things turned around but the style of play has to change real quickly. He has to play the cards on the table.
      Not a bad analysis. I think Fite was concerned about the defense at the start of the season. They will have to change their playing style. We've been spoiled by a good run of point guards at Ship — Massaley, Conner, Biss, etc., and the difference is notable. I've been somewhat surprised at the lack of playing time for Mike Dunn, who probably played the most minutes of the younger guards last year and had his good moments. I don't know whether he's not been playing well in practice, has been slowed for some reason, or whatever, but that has puzzled me. If they don't turn it around soon, they might as well give some of the youngsters extensive playing time, take their lumps this season, and at least have more experience ready for next year. The seven-year stretch of 20 or more wins has been nice, but they might be hitting a rough patch. Fite has been caught in an awkward recruiting situation. Biss coming back for his grad year was good in a way, but it also stunted the development of their young guards, who didn't even see much time in the shooting guard spot as Hardy also was there last season. And losing four veteran players after this year probably means a fairly comprehensive overhaul next year.

Comment

• I think that was a damn good rundown, too, and I didn't even see the Seton Hill game. The only thing I'd say is that Recchia -- still just a redshirt soph, amazingly -- showed me a good deal earlier. I think he has a chance to help what's a sore spot right now, the long-range shooting.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
          I think that was a damn good rundown, too, and I didn't even see the Seton Hill game. The only thing I'd say is that Recchia -- still just a redshirt soph, amazingly -- showed me a good deal earlier. I think he has a chance to help what's a sore spot right now, the long-range shooting.
          Yeah, I've seen enough from several of the younger players to think there is some three-point potential there. Recchia, Dunn, and maybe a couple of the others. Trey Martin probably isn't ready for prime time as a freshman, but we know he can shoot. I'll certainly be interested in what kind of rotation we put out there Monday.

Comment

• Men's EAST standings (through games played 11/27)
            TEAM RECORD STREAK
            East Stroudsburg 3-0 W3
            Lock Haven 4-1 W2
            West Chester 3-1 L1
            Shepherd 3-2 W2
            Millersville 2-3 W1
            Mansfield 1-2 L1
            Shippensburg 1-3 L1
            Bloomsburg 0-3 L3
            Kutztown 0-4 L4

Comment

• Ship 70, Bowie State 58. After a slow start against Bowie's full-court press, Ship got a better offensive flow going, took a six-point halftime lead, and controlled the second half. The backcourt is a work in progress, but some potential is there. Frosh and sophomore guards playing for Ship included Ty Crespo, Denzel Figueroa (more of a swing player), Satchel Ball and Timmy Conner. Recchia still got most of the minutes at point. Crespo and Ball played together in the backcourt for a couple of long stretches, and although they made some of the blunders inexperienced players make, they had their moments. Figueroa looks like a guy who could slash a little and hit the boards.

Ship killed Bowie on the glass. Dom Sleva has been rebounding like a man possessed so far this season and must have had 8 or 9 rebounds in the first half (haven't seen the stats). Raiders tightened up on defense and didn't give up many three-point opportunities. Hope the improvement continues as Ship, after facing three CIAA teams, a Wilmington team that managed to blow out West Chester, and an apparently vastly improved Seton Hill team, now faces Cal, Slippery Rock, Fairmont State, and Mercyhurst in succession. With that gauntlet to come, tonight's win was much needed.

Comment

• Kutztown is now 0-5 after last nights loss to Wilmington.

The Travelling Whippen Brothers may be looking for School No. 4 by the winter break.

Comment

Kutztown is now 0-5 after last nights loss to Wilmington.

The Travelling Whippen Brothers may be looking for School No. 4 by the winter break.
                  That team is better than 0-5 but that virtually eliminated them.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

That team is better than 0-5 but that virtually eliminated them.
                    No doubt. That's a deceiving 0-5 but as you said ... you can't hide 5 losses in November.

I still think they'll start winning games. Too much talent on that roster.

Comment

• Dom Sleva ended up with 18 rebounds Monday night against Bowie. Raiders had a 49-32 overall rebounding advantage.

Comment

Wasn't Tom Petty in that band?

Comment

Kutztown is now 0-5 after last nights loss to Wilmington.

Thanks to Ship & Kutztown, my pick 'em is off to a terrible start this week!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Thanks to Ship & Kutztown, my pick 'em is off to a terrible start this week!
                            With an inexperienced backcourt, Ship is off to a rough start and there's every possibility they could lose any or all of their next four games. But they still have a good deal of talent at forward and were way too much for Bowie in the paint. They might be pretty good further into the season, but the problem is that with a brutal early schedule they could be knocked off track before then.

Comment

With an inexperienced backcourt, Ship is off to a rough start and there's every possibility they could lose any or all of their next four games. But they still have a good deal of talent at forward and were way too much for Bowie in the paint. They might be pretty good further into the season, but the problem is that with a brutal early schedule they could be knocked off track before then.
                              The pedigree is just too rich for that team to tank, so I kept picking them. Then, the one time I finally picked against them, they burned me. ; )

But in all seriousness, Fite is too good a coach to be kept down for long. I trust they'll get it figured out and have a successful season in the end.

Comment

They have a brutal four-game stretch coming for sure.

California is pretty good even without the two starters they haven't had yet this year. This is a BIG one. Both have (3) early losses.

Slippery Rock is off to a 5-0 start (4-0 vs D2) and has a good mix of inside/outside

Fairmont State is a Top 4 team in the Atlantic Region -- and, is loaded this year.

Mercyhurst is always brutal -- especially in Erie.

I'd think if Ship could get a split over these next four it would be positive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X