Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They have a brutal four-game stretch coming for sure.

California is pretty good even without the two starters they haven't had yet this year. This is a BIG one. Both have (3) early losses.

Slippery Rock is off to a 5-0 start (4-0 vs D2) and has a good mix of inside/outside

Fairmont State is a Top 4 team in the Atlantic Region -- and, is loaded this year.

Mercyhurst is always brutal -- especially in Erie.

I'd think if Ship could get a split over these next four it would be positive.
    I agree. I hope they can get at least one. Lose all four and the season is pretty well torpedoed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I agree. I hope they can get at least one. Lose all four and the season is pretty well torpedoed.
      I can promise you nobody is going undefeated and every team will eventually have some injuries. But, yeah, if Ship gets swept in these four ... that's going to make the only path to the NCAAs likely the automatic bid.

On paper, I'd think the two they have to get are this weekend. Both at home. Fairmont State this season would be a nightmare at home, away or on Pluto. It's difficult for everybody to play at Mercyhurst (of course, the jury is somewhat still out on them as they've only played once).

Comment

I can promise you nobody is going undefeated and every team will eventually have some injuries. But, yeah, if Ship gets swept in these four ... that's going to make the only path to the NCAAs likely the automatic bid.

On paper, I'd think the two they have to get are this weekend. Both at home. Fairmont State this season would be a nightmare at home, away or on Pluto. It's difficult for everybody to play at Mercyhurst (of course, the jury is somewhat still out on them as they've only played once).
        Really, the only game they've been out of among the first five was the Seton Hill. I really think they got caught off-guard that game as Seton Hill apparently is really playing improved ball. They had good chances to win both the Virginia Union and Virginia State games, and those are supposed to be two of the better teams in the CIAA this season. They beat Wilmington and Bowie. After some initial hiccups, they got through the Bowie press and pretty much dominated the second half. Bowie had decent guards, but is young and plays pretty soft inside. Ship got some nice minutes from Ty Crespo and Satchel Ball at guard. Crespo had an excellent HS career and was the all-time leading scorer at Manheim Township with more than 1,900 points. He actually had an offer from Marist that was pulled and some interest from Robert Morris and other lower D1 schools. He chose Ship over Bloom, East Stroud, and West Chester, among others. Main thing I believe that's worked against him is his height; he's listed at 5-9 and that even might be stretching it a little. He's quick and has moves, just needs to get it under control a little. Ball has some length at 6-2, is a coach's son, and appears to have a nose for the game. Denzel Figueroa also had a few good minutes. He's kind of a tweener G/F at 6-3. There is some potential there, but probably also a lot of inconsistency over the next few weeks. Of the veterans, Sleva has really turned it on so far (four double-doubles in five games), and I think Carter and Johnson both can pick it up a notch from the first five games.

But as the wise old owl said, we shall see.

Comment

• Noticed Jaden Faulkner hasn't played yet this year for Millersville. That's a big loss. Any word on his status?

Comment

• Anyone else ready to see some PSAC schools play each other? I know I can't wait...Both ESU teams have an infusion of some new talent! The women have already matched last year's win total, so I think many will be surprised by their season. As for the men, Jeff Wilson may have the deepest lineup he's ever had at ESU.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
              Anyone else ready to see some PSAC schools play each other? I know I can't wait...Both ESU teams have an infusion of some new talent! The women have already matched last year's win total, so I think many will be surprised by their season. As for the men, Jeff Wilson may have the deepest lineup he's ever had at ESU.
              Weird things can happen in D2 basketball, but judging by how things are going so far it would be hard to bet against ESU winning the East.

Comment

• Article on former Bloom coach Sanow: https://www.tribdem.com/sports/bitte...e3a739416.html Things I didn't know:

He's a volunteer assistant at Pitt-Johnstown and they visit Bloom tonight.

As a player Sanow led IUP in scoring and was a first-team all-PSAC selection in 1986.

Before the Bloom job, Sanow also was a finalist for the Indiana (Pa.) job that same year, but Joe Lombardi was named head coach of the Crimson Hawks, a post he still holds. Sanow and Lombardi had worked together as assistant coaches with Baron at St. Francis

At Windber H.S. he was the Ramblers' quarterback and was selected to the Big 33 roster as a senior, but didn’t play in the prestigious all-star game after he committed to college basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                  Article on former Bloom coach Sanow: https://www.tribdem.com/sports/bitte...e3a739416.html Things I didn't know:

He's a volunteer assistant at Pitt-Johnstown and they visit Bloom tonight.

As a player Sanow led IUP in scoring and was a first-team all-PSAC selection in 1986.

Before the Bloom job, Sanow also was a finalist for the Indiana (Pa.) job that same year, but Joe Lombardi was named head coach of the Crimson Hawks, a post he still holds. Sanow and Lombardi had worked together as assistant coaches with Baron at St. Francis

At Windber H.S. he was the Ramblers' quarterback and was selected to the Big 33 roster as a senior, but didn’t play in the prestigious all-star game after he committed to college basketball.

Rumor was the three finalists were Sanow, Lombardi and Kevin Reynolds.

I thought he was close there at Bloom a couple times ... just a player away. We may see him again some day in the league (HC).

Rukavina has been at UPJ like 26 years now. He's gotta be getting near retirement.

Comment

• Nice win(s) for Ship.

Comment

Nice win(s) for Ship.
                      It was needed. Didn't get to the game tonight, but should be there for The Rock, which I suspect will be a tougher nut to crack. This was the first real breakout game for Johnson this year. And Sleva continues to be a double-double machine. I'm not sure why they felt the need to fire up 31 three-point attempts, and I'm still mystified by the guard rotation. I get the feeling that Coach Fite might be playing mad scientist until January.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It was needed. Didn't get to the game tonight, but should be there for The Rock, which I suspect will be a tougher nut to crack. This was the first real breakout game for Johnson this year. And Sleva continues to be a double-double machine. I'm not sure why they felt the need to fire up 31 three-point attempts, and I'm still mystified by the guard rotation. I get the feeling that Coach Fite might be playing mad scientist until January.
                        I was tied up in PIAA football semifinals, but yes, this was important for Ship. Fite has looked determined in the last week to get Crespo serious minutes. He's still a little out of control, but he also provides a level of quickness they don't get elsewhere. Denzel Figueroa, a true freshman out of Carver E&S, has been worked into the early rotation, too. But I'm pretty sure Fite's starting five is going to stay that way, and it's his best lineup.

Mike Dunn, mysteriously, has dropped off the map; only a minute or two last night. And I'm still wondering where Geoff Helm is.

On the female side, Ariel Jones is beginning to feel it again, although her long-range shooting is still a little shaky. Kristy's bunch could be on the rise.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I was tied up in PIAA football semifinals, but yes, this was important for Ship. Fite has looked determined in the last week to get Crespo serious minutes. He's still a little out of control, but he also provides a level of quickness they don't get elsewhere. Denzel Figueroa, a true freshman out of Carver E&S, has been worked into the early rotation, too. But I'm pretty sure Fite's starting five is going to stay that way, and it's his best lineup.

Mike Dunn, mysteriously, has dropped off the map; only a minute or two last night. And I'm still wondering where Geoff Helm is.

On the female side, Ariel Jones is beginning to feel it again, although her long-range shooting is still a little shaky. Kristy's bunch could be on the rise.
                          Yeah, that was a funny game the women had — shooting was not good, but they still beat a ranked team convincingly. Cal's long-range shooting was even worse.

Like you, the Dunn thing has puzzled me. Maybe the other guys are just outplaying him in practice.

Hadn't noticed it since he wasn't playing, but looks as if the Gavin Donley experiment is over. I don't seem him on the roster.

They need to shoot the ball better, Missed a bunch in close and the three-point shooting is erratic to say the least. The younger guards rushed quite a few of their three-point attempts. With so many rotating in an out, it's almost as if they feel they are auditioning for a slot and need to quickly throw in some points when they get the opportunity. Martin obviously can hit, but it's hard to find a natural spot for him with their current lineup. As one of the game announcers said last night, it's an oddly constructed team this year with that solid core of four guys and chaos beyond. Covid and the canceled season obviously threw a wrench into player development.

Comment

• Donley was in a tough position to play D-II. His build didn't allow him to pound inside despite 6-8 ... and he didn't have the Dom Sleva ability to float out on the perimeter and get into the flow of the offense.

Eric Thomas, the color guy you alluded to, and I are pretty much in lockstep about this team (we used to work together, and converse a lot on social media). But the one thing I'm not so sure about is if there's complete chaos past the first four. Recchia isn't a big negative out front, and he's building on his depth early by working in another 2-3 guards. I do wish he had that kind of flexibility with big men; I've respected Ty Holsopple's hustle all the way back to Chambersburg High, but I don't think he'd be in the rotation most seasons.
                            Last edited by jrshooter; 12-03-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              Donley was in a tough position to play D-II. His build didn't allow him to pound inside despite 6-8 ... and he didn't have the Dom Sleva ability to float out on the perimeter and get into the flow of the offense.

Eric Thomas, the color guy you alluded to, and I are pretty much in lockstep about this team (we used to work together, and converse a lot on social media). But the one thing I'm not so sure about is if there's complete chaos past the first four. Recchia isn't a big negative out front, and he's building on his depth early by working in another 2-3 guards. I do wish he had that kind of flexibility with big men; I've respected Ty Holsopple's hustle all the way back to Chambersburg High, but I don't think he'd be in the rotation most seasons.
                              I don't necessarily mean chaos as far as individual players are concerned, but the rotation has definitely been a game-to-game thing, and Coach Fite's comments after the game last night lead me to believe it might stay that way for a while. I think the lineup of the four forwards and Recchia could run into trouble against some of the quicker teams they'll play. I'd like to see them settle on a couple of guards behind Recchia. Ball seems to be getting some time. He plays decent positional defense and has some length. Crespo got quite a bit of time against Bowie, not so much against Cal. He could be an asset against pressing teams if he keeps it under control.

Comment

• Lock Haven went bonkers in 2nd half vs Cal

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X