Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    Boy, the bottom just fell out of the Shepherd women's program when Abby Beeman transferred up to D-I Marshall.

Rams are well on their way to 0-10 tonight.
    Coach bailed, too.

Comment

• If ESU doesn't open some eyes beyond the conference tonight, they just aren't looking.

A Fite team is going to get about 110 points hung on them.

EDIT: 108-78 final. 37 for Pepin.
      Last edited by jrshooter; 01-04-2023, 08:53 PM.

Comment

If ESU doesn't open some eyes beyond the conference tonight, they just aren't looking.

A Fite team is going to get about 110 points hung on them.

EDIT: 108-78 final. 37 for Pepin.
        Well, we know they are good. They also lost to Seton Hill. What was up with Ship tonight?

Ship is like UPJ. They aren't built to play that kind of team. They are built for half-court. If Ship couldn't control the pace tonight ... the outcome was inevitable. I don't mean that disrespectfully but it's just reality. Sleva and Nedrow are half-court bigs. In a fast game, like tonight, they get swallowed.

Comment

• Sleva was the one guy who held his own. Nedrow, you're right. He can't stay with a fast pace. But they really needed Carter to step up big, and he didn't step up at all.

The pace wasn't just that of a fast-paced D-II team, though. This was something more. At least three times, they pulled boards and were taking a shot four seconds into the shot clock.

I mean, they took 72 shots in 40 minutes. And shot 53 percent with that volume.

Comment

• Nedrow leaves game 12-8 two fouls - East goes on run and the rest is history . Shooter not sure what ur qualifications are but .. in my opinion you’re like a coach who refuses to fight - no traps no press you lose by 30 .
            Talk to other coaches in PSAC - you get Nedrow out of game and Ship a done . Period .

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship76 View Post
              Nedrow leaves game 12-8 two fouls - East goes on run and the rest is history . Shooter not sure what ur qualifications are but .. in my opinion you’re like a coach who refuses to fight - no traps no press you lose by 30 .
              Talk to other coaches in PSAC - you get Nedrow out of game and Ship a done . Period .
              I don't know. Nedrow is a big muscle guy .. almost like a goon. He doesn't bring much to the offense. He would have fit in much better in the 90s PSAC.

I'm not bashing him. Believe me. I've seen more PSAC games than I care to share. But, the days of his type are dying.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, we know they are good. They also lost to Seton Hill. What was up with Ship tonight?

Ship is like UPJ. They aren't built to play that kind of team. They are built for half-court. If Ship couldn't control the pace tonight ... the outcome was inevitable. I don't mean that disrespectfully but it's just reality. Sleva and Nedrow are half-court bigs. In a fast game, like tonight, they get swallowed.
                Well, how many teams in the PSAC are built to play that kind of team? I guess we'll find out. A lot of talk about how the forwards played, but the biggest difference between this year and last year is that last year the Ship guards were Biss and Hardy and this year it was Recchia, Ball, and Crespo. No knock on the Ship guys, but the difference is extremely obvious. Ball and Crespo actually flashed a little good stuff at times, but since it was a 25-point deficit or more by then it wasn't going to make much difference. I would actually like to see a few more two-guard looks from Ship the remainder of the season, but they seem determined to stick with the four forward, single guard alignment. This isn't a lost season, but it's not going to be a great one and I'd like to see the younger players pick up some minutes.

Carlos Pepin will be a serious candidate for player of the year, and maybe that's why Wilson left him in until the 2:47 mark despite sporting huge leads over last few minutes. I don't understand it as he was risking a moment of the type IUP had with Shawndale Jones last year. The game was very physical, which didn't hurt ESU, and several guys hit the floor hard. Wilson seemed to be determined to make a statement — left in the full-pressure press with a big lead late and had Pepin and many of the starters in for quite a spell late. Maybe he wanted to score 100. Ship didn't play particularly well, but it didn't help that ESU played out of its freakin' mind. I don't know yet what their three-pointer percentage was for the second half, but for a considerable period everything they threw up went in.

Bottom line is that ESU is simply a better team than Ship this season and certainly the class of the East Division at this point. Nedrow is really the only Ship guy big enough to check Pepin and he doesn't have the speed to do it. It's a bad for Fite to have one of the weaker teams he's had at Ship at the same time Wilson has one of his best. But that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Comment

Sleva was the one guy who held his own. Nedrow, you're right. He can't stay with a fast pace. But they really needed Carter to step up big, and he didn't step up at all.

The pace wasn't just that of a fast-paced D-II team, though. This was something more. At least three times, they pulled boards and were taking a shot four seconds into the shot clock.

I mean, they took 72 shots in 40 minutes. And shot 53 percent with that volume.
                  Carter didn't really step up, but I've been a little disappointed this year that Ship doesn't seem to be running set plays to get their good shooters open. It just seems whomever gets an opening tosses up a three. That worked when we had guys such as Biss and Justin Mac Arthur, but not so much now. Would like to get more shots for guys such as Recchia and Trey Martin when he's in. Still don't understand what the deal is with Mike Dunn.

Comment

Boy, the bottom just fell out of the Shepherd women's program when Abby Beeman transferred up to D-I Marshall.

Rams are well on their way to 0-10 tonight.
                    The women's league doesn't seem very strong this year. Other than laying an egg at Gannon, the Ship women have handled most of the PSAC teams with the greatest of ease so far. East Stroud came into tonight's game with a 7-4 overall record and 3-2 in the league, but had only 35 points after three quarters and was outscored 10-0 at the beginning of the fourth quarter to go down 62-35. Ariel Jones didn't have to work hard at all for Ship in the second half. I think the Ship women are above average this season with Jones back in the lineup, but they don't seem like the type of team that should constantly be winning by 20 points.

Comment

• Carlos Pepin's stat line from Wednesday night was 14 for 17 from the field, including 2 of 3 from the three-point line, 7 of 8 from the FT line, and 14 rebounds. The Warriors are deep, but he is very clearly the straw that stirs the drink for them. The other players are stoppable to various degrees, but I doubt there are many players in the PSAC who can check Pepin. Didn't help Ship that the Warriors had a very hot night from deep, going better than 52 percent from three-point line. That would have been even higher if their scrubs hadn't missed a couple toward the end of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Nedrow, I agree, is more comfortable in a half-court game. Sleva, on the other hand, can definitely keep up and had a pretty good game last night despite being physically pounded by waves of ESU players on the boards. What he is not is a ball handler, and the Raider lineup as configured gets the ball in the big guy's hands too often against the press. Sleva had his eighth double-double of the season and is now within two points of 1,000 for his career. He should get that in the next game. For stat junkies, Sleva came into the game ranked second in Division II in rebounding with 12.5 per game and had 13 last night. He leads D2 in defensive rebounding. What has hurt Sleva and the other Ship forwards this season is the lack of a distraction like Jake Biss to keep opposing defenses off of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The women's league doesn't seem very strong this year. Other than laying an egg at Gannon, the Ship women have handled most of the PSAC teams with the greatest of ease so far. East Stroud came into tonight's game with a 7-4 overall record and 3-2 in the league, but had only 35 points after three quarters and was outscored 10-0 at the beginning of the fourth quarter to go down 62-35. Ariel Jones didn't have to work hard at all for Ship in the second half. I think the Ship women are above average this season with Jones back in the lineup, but they don't seem like the type of team that should constantly be winning by 20 points.
                          Not only that, Ship, but they've been doing it with an Ariel who hasn't exactly been shooting straight.

She's sitting at 33.5 percent for the season, just 27.5 percent outside the arc.

If she starts tearing it up from the perimeter, the Raiders become downright scary.

Comment

Not only that, Ship, but they've been doing it with an Ariel who hasn't exactly been shooting straight.

She's sitting at 33.5 percent for the season, just 27.5 percent outside the arc.

If she starts tearing it up from the perimeter, the Raiders become downright scary.
                            Pettis and George were more than enough for ESU last night. Jones had an off shooting night but was still a threat every time she touched the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Pettis and George were more than enough for ESU last night. Jones had an off shooting night but was still a threat every time she touched the ball.
                              The night after she hung 48 on Mercyhurst, Jones was 2-for-17 from the floor against Gannon.

Comment

The night after she hung 48 on Mercyhurst, Jones was 2-for-17 from the floor against Gannon.
                                She's been erratic. Early it could be a little rust from a season-ending injury last season. She doesn't seem to be playing at quite the same speed she did previously. But that Ship can dominate as many games as they have with and up-and-down Jones actually kind of lends strength to my argument about the league appearing to be down this year. One factor in the East, of course, is the apparent complete meltdown of Shepherd now that Beeman and some others have left. The Rams may dominate football, but the PSAC is sure giving them all they can handle where other sports are concerned.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X