Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Full video is still up there on the PSAC site. Around 2:16 on the stream.

Looked to me like Blair grades out around a D- minus as a peacemaker.
    I was able to watch the video. I could tell before the incident that an incident was going to happen. How could anyone allow a crowd to form behind the ESU bench and by the door? That is poor game management and then the response time is embarrassing. Without digging deep, it didn't really look like any ESU players were involved. It looked like most shook hands and went to the locker room. The WC players looked like they were trying to go after people, who, I don't know. Also, why were so many non game participants/personnel on the floor after the game. NO ONE should be allowed on the floor at anytime! Not sure how this will be handled.

Comment

Full video is still up there on the PSAC site. Around 2:16 on the stream.

Looked to me like Blair grades out around a D- minus as a peacemaker.
      Damien probably runs second behind Stitzel in the PSAC East coaching prima donna sweepstakes, although he isn't as continuously annoying as Stitzel. The dude at Shepherd can seem to be excitable on occasion.

Some interesting things can happen in West Chester, and it goes back a long way. When I was a sophomore at Ship in the '60s we decided to take a couple of buses out to the West Chester football game. Not only did we lose the game (which was usually the case in those days), the bus drivers had to navigate throw a hail of rocks and other debris thrown by WC townies as we left the stadium. I don't think they tried another bus trip for quite a while after that one.

Comment

• The coaches in the East certainly gave Ship its due today.

Carlos Carter: East Athlete of the Year.
        Dom Sleva: East Defensive Player of the Year.
        Chris Fite: East Coach of the Year.

Two first-team all-PSAC picks, and Rashon Johnson on the second team.

Comment

The coaches in the East certainly gave Ship its due today.

Carlos Carter: East Athlete of the Year.
          Dom Sleva: East Defensive Player of the Year.
          Chris Fite: East Coach of the Year.

Two first-team all-PSAC picks, and Rashon Johnson on the second team.
          I think Fite does get a lot of respect. With the conference as tight at it was, I think the coaching nod could have gone several different ways. For much of the year I'd have picked the Lock Haven guy, but I think their late-season slump did them in. Blair at West Chester deserved some consideration. Jeff Wilson might have gotten it some years, but I think the high expectations for that team hurt him some. I think Carter became the all-around player this season that Ship fans could see coming a couple of years back. In a conference with standouts such as Pepin and McAliley at ESU, McClain-Corley at Shepherd, and some serious talent at guard, getting athlete of the year was quite a tip of the hat to him. Sleva's rebounding exploits and all-around play helped get him the nod. Johnson had some excellent games, but his outside shooting fell off some this season.

All in all, another good year for the Raiders, no matter how it comes out Saturday. I'm going to start saying prayers early for next season

Comment

• Ship and ESU both played really well today. Both could have won.

Being honest, I thought Ship was going to get hammered. It still bothers me every time I see a program and see Carlos Carter being from Indiana, PA. Joe let a star get away. The Raiders played really tough today.

ESU certainly has an NCAA Tournament-level team. I'd guess they get in. They are more deserving, my opinion, than UPJ (not to mention they hammered them H2H). BTW, that could be the scariest 7 seed in a very long time. Personally, I don't care how many good teams UPJ played (and lost to). But, the computers seem to want to see more Rukavina Dance.

I have a feeling we're going to see WL vs ESU in Round 1. Just a guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Ship and ESU both played really well today. Both could have won.

Being honest, I thought Ship was going to get hammered. It still bothers me every time I see a program and see Carlos Carter being from Indiana, PA. Joe let a star get away. The Raiders played really tough today.

ESU certainly has an NCAA Tournament-level team. I'd guess they get in. They are more deserving, my opinion, than UPJ (not to mention they hammered them H2H). BTW, that could be the scariest 7 seed in a very long time. Personally, I don't care how many good teams UPJ played (and lost to). But, the computers seem to want to see more Rukavina Dance.

I have a feeling we're going to see WL vs ESU in Round 1. Just a guess.
              Well, glad we got one from IUP. In football, IUP has gotten several from our back yard and at least a couple of them hammered us in this year's game. The Saturday game was a miniature of Ship's last couple of seasons — close but no cigar. There were just too many close games this year where they didn't get it done. Basically, the PSAC East was a bunch of good, but flawed teams. With Kutztown getting a couple of their players back late in the season, the division had seven teams that could give anyone fits on a given night, and Mansfield wasn't horrible. Just not quite deep enough on most of the teams to carry them through.

I still think ESU is probably the most physically talented team in the division, especially when Pepin and McAliley both hit on all cylinders. I thought McAliley picking up his third and fourth fouls relatively quickly in the second half really affected ESU. It will be interesting to see what the region ends up looking like.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I was able to watch the video. I could tell before the incident that an incident was going to happen. How could anyone allow a crowd to form behind the ESU bench and by the door? That is poor game management and then the like they were trying to go after people, who, I don't know. Also, why were so many non game participants/personnel on the floor after the game. NO ONE should be allowed on the floor at anytime! Not sure how this will be handled.
                How do you think it will be handled? How do you think it should be handled?

Comment

I was able to watch the video. I could tell before the incident that an incident was going to happen. How could anyone allow a crowd to form behind the ESU bench and by the door? That is poor game management and then the response time is embarrassing. Without digging deep, it didn't really look like any ESU players were involved. It looked like most shook hands and went to the locker room. The WC players looked like they were trying to go after people, who, I don't know. Also, why were so many non game participants/personnel on the floor after the game. NO ONE should be allowed on the floor at anytime! Not sure how this will be handled.
                  That's a lot more common at non-D1 schools since many of those schools don't have the resources (or, the need) to bring in an outside company (BEST Crowd Management, Landmark, SAFE Management, etc.) to assist with event staffing or access management.

I work for a company called Stadium People in the Dallas/Fort Worth market and one of our clients is TCU. The Big XII has some very strict protocols regarding post-game court/field access (though not as strict as the SEC, from what I've seen). I've worked the field at TCU football games (I have a Texas security license), so we're kinda on our guard about who gets on the field and who doesn't. We also have the contracts at Georgia, Auburn, Texas and Oklahoma State, among other Power Five schools. We're one of the few companies in the industry (that I know of) which use rope-lines to keep court stormers/field invaders away from the teams and to get the teams to the tunnels post-game; at least we do that at TCU, I can't speak for our other clients or for other companies.

By contrast, most schools in the PSAC use work study students or student-athletes who are not "in season" competition to provide security where my company would be doing that at TCU or Oklahoma State. I'd imagine IUP is the exception since, as I recall, Landmark - the same company which provides field security at Heinz Field and at Pitt's Petersen Events Center - handles access management at the KCAC, unless that changed within the past few years (Cal used Landmark only when there were "major" events at the Angelo Dome from my time there, but that was only a couple of instances and not for Cal U basketball games).

And, unless I'm mistaken, Pennsylvania doesn't have a state-wide licensing requirement for access management (courtside security, credential/access management, back-of-house/locker room areas or bag checking/security screening); in Texas, you have to be licensed as a "Level II Non-Commissioned Security Officer" to work those positions, and some clients are very strict about having qualified and licensed staff in those positions.

With that said, knowing how Hollinger is set up, you don't exactly have a lot of "yellow jackets" providing event security and most of them are just, for lack of a polite way to say it, jocks who may or may not have proper security training. At most, I could probably count on one hand the number of event staff who'd work a WCU game at Hollinger (now, that may have changed in the past 10 years, but that's just my fading recollections from back in the day). If WCU were able to bring in off-duty officers from West Chester, West Goshen or even the Chester County Sheriff's Office to assist with security at select basketball games, that might help alleviate some of the issues.

I don't know how it works in Pennsylvania, but at some of our venues in Dallas, especially AT&T Stadium, cops from other agencies - Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, North Richland Hills, Trophy Club, Hurst, Tarrant County Sheriff's Office - assist Arlington PD with game day security; same at Toyota Stadium in Frisco where the city's Major League Soccer club plays and at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. Cops in Texas (or at least in North Texas; I can't speak to Austin, Houston, etc.) are allowed to work overtime shifts in other cities on behalf of the venue operator during their off-duty time (the overtime and or other expenses for law enforcement are typically reimbursed by the team, so it don't have a major impact on the local taxpayers).

Regardless, it's easy to say that schools should take more action to prevent similar incidents like the one that happened at WCU earlier this week, but unless schools have the proper resources to provide the added security, that's a lot easier said than done.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

That's a lot more common at non-D1 schools since many of those schools don't have the resources (or, the need) to bring in an outside company (BEST Crowd Management, Landmark, SAFE Management, etc.) to assist with event staffing or access management.

I work for a company called Stadium People in the Dallas/Fort Worth market and one of our clients is TCU. The Big XII has some very strict protocols regarding post-game court/field access (though not as strict as the SEC, from what I've seen). I've worked the field at TCU football games (I have a Texas security license), so we're kinda on our guard about who gets on the field and who doesn't. We also have the contracts at Georgia, Auburn, Texas and Oklahoma State, among other Power Five schools. We're one of the few companies in the industry (that I know of) which use rope-lines to keep court stormers/field invaders away from the teams and to get the teams to the tunnels post-game; at least we do that at TCU, I can't speak for our other clients or for other companies.

By contrast, most schools in the PSAC use work study students or student-athletes who are not "in season" competition to provide security where my company would be doing that at TCU or Oklahoma State. I'd imagine IUP is the exception since, as I recall, Landmark - the same company which provides field security at Heinz Field and at Pitt's Petersen Events Center - handles access management at the KCAC, unless that changed within the past few years (Cal used Landmark only when there were "major" events at the Angelo Dome from my time there, but that was only a couple of instances and not for Cal U basketball games).

And, unless I'm mistaken, Pennsylvania doesn't have a state-wide licensing requirement for access management (courtside security, credential/access management, back-of-house/locker room areas or bag checking/security screening); in Texas, you have to be licensed as a "Level II Non-Commissioned Security Officer" to work those positions, and some clients are very strict about having qualified and licensed staff in those positions.

With that said, knowing how Hollinger is set up, you don't exactly have a lot of "yellow jackets" providing event security and most of them are just, for lack of a polite way to say it, jocks who may or may not have proper security training. At most, I could probably count on one hand the number of event staff who'd work a WCU game at Hollinger (now, that may have changed in the past 10 years, but that's just my fading recollections from back in the day). If WCU were able to bring in off-duty officers from West Chester, West Goshen or even the Chester County Sheriff's Office to assist with security at select basketball games, that might help alleviate some of the issues.

I don't know how it works in Pennsylvania, but at some of our venues in Dallas, especially AT&T Stadium, cops from other agencies - Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, North Richland Hills, Trophy Club, Hurst, Tarrant County Sheriff's Office - assist Arlington PD with game day security; same at Toyota Stadium in Frisco where the city's Major League Soccer club plays and at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. Cops in Texas (or at least in North Texas; I can't speak to Austin, Houston, etc.) are allowed to work overtime shifts in other cities on behalf of the venue operator during their off-duty time (the overtime and or other expenses for law enforcement are typically reimbursed by the team, so it don't have a major impact on the local taxpayers).

Regardless, it's easy to say that schools should take more action to prevent similar incidents like the one that happened at WCU earlier this week, but unless schools have the proper resources to provide the added security, that's a lot easier said than done.
                    What are you talking about? That’s inner city Philly. If they don’t have the resources for crowd control then they shouldn’t have sporting events. West Chester isn’t BFE Clarion that is lucky to get 25 red necks in the stands.

Comment

What are you talking about? That’s inner city Philly. If they don’t have the resources for crowd control then they shouldn’t have sporting events. West Chester isn’t BFE Clarion that is lucky to get 25 red necks in the stands.
                      West Chester has its ups and downs, but it's a far cry from inner city Philly. It's not even in Philadelphia County.

Comment

I get that. At the same time, does WCU have the budget to bring in additional outside help? Take that up with WCU athletics, not me. I'm just relaying what I recall from my time as a freelance writer back east.

And, no, West Chester is not "inner city Philly" so you may wanna watch where you're going with that.
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Inner city Philly. ROFLMAO. Guess I'll have to bring along the boot for Saturday's doubleheader.
                          Last edited by jrshooter; 03-06-2023, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• West Chester being described as "inner city" might be the funniest thing I've seen on this board. Tremendous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

West Chester has its ups and downs, but it's a far cry from inner city Philly. It's not even in Philadelphia County.
                              Crowd control speaking ... Ship has a possible bad situation with its set up. That's the only place I've ever seen the visiting team has to walk through the main lobby to reach the floor (before, halftime and after).

Have they ever had any issues with that, crowd-wise?

A day like yesterday was obviously no students and mostly old people. But, I can imagine things could happen with students on hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Crowd control speaking ... Ship has a possible bad situation with its set up. That's the only place I've ever seen the visiting team has to walk through the main lobby to reach the floor (before, halftime and after).
                                Wheeling is actually set up the same way. The visitor's locker room is actually in a practice gym which is across the lobby from the showcase gym.

And to my knowledge there hasn't been any trouble at Wheeling due to that set up.

But it always does feel weird that the people going to buy popcorn at halftime are basically walking right alongside the visiting players on their way out of the gym area.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X