Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Crowd control speaking ... Ship has a possible bad situation with its set up. That's the only place I've ever seen the visiting team has to walk through the main lobby to reach the floor (before, halftime and after).

Have they ever had any issues with that, crowd-wise?

A day like yesterday was obviously no students and mostly old people. But, I can imagine things could happen with students on hand.
    Not really. Students at Ship haven't tended to get out of hand and frankly the student support hasn't been all that great at times anyway. We finally had a good student rooting section at the quarterfinal game against Lock Haven and had the most energized crowd I've seen in Heiges in a while. The team helped by playing one of its better games of the same, including several monster dunks that got the crowd into it. Having finally got some good support, of course we go on break.

I will say I think attendance at Ship has been very underreported at times. I've seen attendance listed as barely over 200 when I know there were at least twice that many people in Heiges. I'm not sure whether they don't count Raider Club admissions or what, but something is off there.

I've attended Ship games for several years during the Fite era now and crowd control hasn't really been an issue. Most of the scuffles we've had have been between players, and those have tended to die down quickly.

Comment

• Ship's women are finished; it's West Chester vs. Glenville in the women's Atlantic Region final tomorrow.

Glenville drove the lane all night on Shippensburg and won going away 107-76. Foul trouble limited Ariel Jones to four minutes through the first three quarters, but in no way do I think that would have made a difference. GSU was a superior, quicker ballclub. Lauren Pettis ends her career with a fitting double-double -- 19 points, 11 rebounds. Jones gets enough points in garbage time to close out with 15.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
        Ship's women are finished; it's West Chester vs. Glenville in the women's Atlantic Region final tomorrow.

Glenville drove the lane all night on Shippensburg and won going away 107-76. Foul trouble limited Ariel Jones to four minutes through the first three quarters, but in no way do I think that would have made a difference. GSU was a superior, quicker ballclub. Lauren Pettis ends her career with a fitting double-double -- 19 points, 11 rebounds. Jones gets enough points in garbage time to close out with 15.
        Too bad. She managed to stay out of foul trouble most of the year, and then it really impacted her two of the final three games. Glenville really has it going right now. With having to replace Jones and Pettis on next year's team, Kristy Trn has about as big a recruiting task ahead of her as Chris Fite. Those two were literally about half the points and rebounds for the Ship women's team this year.

Comment

• Ship has apparently picked up a commit from Najeh Allen, a 6-4 guard/forward out of St. Maria Goretti HS, Hagerstown, MD. Allen was a starter on a Goretti team that was runner-up to Mount St. Joseph's in the recent Baltimore Catholic League tournament.

Comment

• Another nice get today for Ship, although they'll have to wait a year for him. Cumberland Valley's 6-6 forward, Jackson Boone, saw the D-I interest fall off when he had knee surgery this winter. He'll be taking a medical redshirt for 2023-24.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2023...lege-pick.html

Comment

Another nice get today for Ship, although they'll have to wait a year for him. Cumberland Valley's 6-6 forward, Jackson Boone, saw the D-I interest fall off when he had knee surgery this winter. He'll be taking a medical redshirt for 2023-24.

With his background Coach Fite has done well recruiting in western Pa., but it's good to see them get a couple of kids within easy drive of the campus. With the Boone kid redshirting, they'll still have the opportunity to bring in an extra big for next season.

Comment

Another nice get today for Ship, although they'll have to wait a year for him. Cumberland Valley's 6-6 forward, Jackson Boone, saw the D-I interest fall off when he had knee surgery this winter. He'll be taking a medical redshirt for 2023-24.

That's an awfully big commitment from Fite to sign an injured player. I hope this young man realizes it and doesn't 'portal' him a year or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's an awfully big commitment from Fite to sign an injured player. I hope this young man realizes it and doesn't 'portal' him a year or two.
                  Well, we'll see. First the young man has to recover from his injury and prove he can play at PSAC level. That'll be at least three years, unless he's somehow the stud of the conference as a freshman coming off an injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, we'll see. First the young man has to recover from his injury and prove he can play at PSAC level. That'll be at least three years, unless he's somehow the stud of the conference as a freshman coming off an injury.
                    I have seen him a few times. I could see where he might conjure images of Dom Sleva for Fite. He moves well for his size.

I would really love to see Fite take a flyer like this on Jayden Statum.
                    ​​​​​
                    ​​

Comment

I have seen him a few times. I could see where he might conjure images of Dom Sleva for Fite. He moves well for his size.

I would really love to see Fite take a flyer like this on Jayden Statum.
                      ​​​​​
                      ​​
                      Well, we could certainly do worse than another Sleva. Najeh Allen looks like a possible Carter-Johnson type, especially if he can grow another inch or two. What's Statum's current situation?

Comment

Well, we could certainly do worse than another Sleva. Najeh Allen looks like a possible Carter-Johnson type, especially if he can grow another inch or two. What's Statum's current situation?
                        He played at the Scotland Performance Institute this winter, and played well. But I was told his surgeon allegedly messed up his labrum tear last offseason, so he had more surgery in February to correct it.

That Scotland program, from what I hear, is on life support. Finances failing.

Comment

He played at the Scotland Performance Institute this winter, and played well. But I was told his surgeon allegedly messed up his labrum tear last offseason, so he had more surgery in February to correct it.

That Scotland program, from what I hear, is on life support. Finances failing.
                          Yeah, it's a long time since the old Scotland School days now.

Comment

• Former Ship point guard Clay Conner has been named director of player development at Penn State by new coach Mike Rhoades.

Comment

• Well, it's not only the guys who can play overseas:

"Shippensburg University women’s basketball standout Ariel Jones has begun her professional basketball career in Australia, signing with the Ringwood Hawks. The news was announced on social media this weekend after the completion of Jones’s first game with the team.

Jones led the team with 27 points and six rebounds in 28 minutes. The Hawks secured the victory, defeating the Mt. Gambier Pioneers 87-77."

Comment

Well, it's not only the guys who can play overseas:

"Shippensburg University women’s basketball standout Ariel Jones has begun her professional basketball career in Australia, signing with the Ringwood Hawks. The news was announced on social media this weekend after the completion of Jones’s first game with the team.

Jones led the team with 27 points and six rebounds in 28 minutes. The Hawks secured the victory, defeating the Mt. Gambier Pioneers 87-77."
                                Hope she has a great career!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X