Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IUP has officially offered Indiana High School (just turned) sophomore guard Hope Cook.

She had a monster season as a freshman. The question will be if the D1 schools come calling, too. She's the first sophomore I can ever remember IUP offering.

The IHS girls also have a freshman this season (6'4" forward) who just picked up an offer from Ohio State.

Both tore up the summer circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      IUP has officially offered Indiana High School (just turned) sophomore guard Hope Cook.

She had a monster season as a freshman. The question will be if the D1 schools come calling, too. She's the first sophomore I can ever remember IUP offering.

The IHS girls also have a freshman this season (6'4" forward) who just picked up an offer from Ohio State.

Both tore up the summer circuit.
      Her father and her uncle both played ball for IHS back in the day. The uncle was actually the MVP of the one Pittsburgh postseason all-star game. I think he went on to play at Colgate at the next level. I guess it is in the DNA. She is also the granddaughter of the late and very beloved Indiana optometrist Dr. James Cook. Goodness is he missed!

But yeah, I don't ever recall any underclassmen like this being offered by IUP. Might not be a bad idea for the two players that you mentioned.

My niece was involved in elementary basketball the past four seasons and I can tell you that there are certainly some very up and coming players in this area moving on up through the ranks. I made it a point to note their names as they will be heard from real soon.

-

Comment

Is there a reason that the departure of KELLY MAZZANTE to Bucknell wasn't headline news ? I know I'm a bit lax in all things C'HAWK, but that is a substantial change. Isn't it ???

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          Is there a reason that the departure of KELLY MAZZANTE to Bucknell wasn't headline news ? I know I'm a bit lax in all things C'HAWK, but that is a substantial change. Isn't it ???
          It was ... as much as an assistant leaving can be headline news. It got a little play on here but I think everybody knew it was just a matter of time.

Comment

Hmm. As a VULCANS WBB fan my greatest fear aside from losing JESS STROM is losing KATIE TETZLAW. She seems to be ready to step in with little lose of continuity should JS ever decide to move on. They've been together since '13-'14 and really seem to have a seamless style with the team. Maybe it's an XX thing.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
              Hmm. As a VULCANS WBB fan my greatest fear aside from losing JESS STROM is losing KATIE TETZLAW. She seems to be ready to step in with little lose of continuity should JS ever decide to move on. They've been together since '13-'14 and really seem to have a seamless style with the team. Maybe it's an XX thing.

To me it's just a matter of when they leave ... not if. On the men's side we're lucky to have an assistant two years. D2 assistant jobs are primarily resume builders for the next job. The pay is lousy and most want to take that next step.

She's a big loss but the show goes on.

Comment

Mazzante is a huge loss just like Allen Payne is a huge loss. Both were probably in the discussion for best IUP assistants ever.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                  Mazzante is a huge loss just like Allen Payne is a huge loss. Both were probably in the discussion for best IUP assistants ever.
                  I would add Chris Fite and Lamont Paris on the men's side and Justin English and Melissa O'Neil for the women on the list.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I would add Chris Fite and Lamont Paris on the men's side and Justin English and Melissa O'Neil for the women on the list.

-
                    Right. Big losses. But ... you can't keep them. That's reality. They are too good for this level. That's the business. In and out.

Comment

Right. Big losses. But ... you can't keep them. That's reality. They are too good for this level. That's the business. In and out.
                      Is there a slight difference in keeping male assistants versus females. For all the traditional reasons if the rest of their lives are stable and family oriented, women seem more content to stay in a successful positions than strive to optimize their prospects. Oddly in the PSAC most WBB HC in the West are men and in the East women.

Comment

NCAA Preseason Top 25

(Atlantic Region teams represented with comments per the article)

10. Virginia Union

11. IUP

The Crimson Hawks have been to the last two Elite Eights, reaching the semifinals both times. Most of those players are gone, but intriguing transfers Justine Mascaro (Delaware) and Kiara Wade (Wheeling), as well as freshman Maria Cerro, could mesh with the experienced returners and get IUP back to the top of the rankings once again.

22. Glenville State

The Pioneers scored an absurd 102.3 points per game last season, and four of their top five scorers are back, including Emily Stoller and ReShawna Stone.

Just Missed Category: California

The Vulcans lose their top three scoring starters, including Seairra Barrett who led the team in scoring and rebounding. Still, two starters return and Cal always seems to find its way into both the win column and top 25. The Vulcans could very well be there before too long.

Teams to Watch Category: Edinboro

Comment

NCAA Preseason Top 25

(Atlantic Region teams represented with comments per the article)

10. Virginia Union

AnnMarie Gilbert is another DII women's basketball coach that seemingly hates to lose.
                          What in the world does this mean? Most coaches like losing? VUU wouldn't be a ranked if Coach Gilbert was okay with losing a few games?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

What in the world does this mean? Most coaches like losing? VUU wouldn't be a ranked if Coach Gilbert was okay with losing a few games?
                            Lol ... yeah ... that's what it said.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

I guess some coaches find losing at least mildly agreeable or you would not have any coaches in place at least half of the PSAC schools. LOL.

-

Comment

Some big news out of IUP regarding the women's team:

Virginia State was originally scheduled to play at IUP. That game is now off the schedule. IUP replaced them with nationally-ranked Glenville State. The game will be on a Friday night in mid-November at the KCAC. It's the same night the men play up at Le Moyne.

As far as the Atlantic Region goes, that's by far the 'marquee' non-conference game of the season.

Also, the women will start the season in the Memorial Field House for their first two games (Nov. 9-10). The men's kick-off weekend will take place inside the KCAC.

Joe's team has no games scheduled at the Field House this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X