Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Interesting discussion of a complicated issue. I think the current structure of D1 sports is inherently flawed. I suggest that we start with what is best for the athlete as the foundational premise and go forward from there. Here are some brainstorm ideas.
    1. A great athlete should not be locked out of the possibility of a huge professional income just because they are not academically qualified for college. Currently colleges are committing academic fraud and exploiting athletes.
    2. Every athlete should be given training for a middle class career, in the likely event they are not good enough to be a professional. This should be in technical trades (plumbing, electrician, diesel mechanic, etc. ) or a real academic major (not a worthless major just to maintain eligibility). Should they turn pro early, they have the right to return to technical school or college tuition free for up to 10 years after they retire to avoid coaches channeling players out of college majors for selfish reasons.
    3. Zero tuition dollars from regular students should be used to fund athletics. Donors, ticket sales, and the pro leagues would be required cover the shortfall
    4. Colleges must set union pay scales for coaches to avoid the bidding war, maybe like the GS schedule in the government. It is ridiculous the salaries being paid to coaches. It is just a game, for pete's sake. This would reduce the influence of the big money donors.
    5. Most radically, reduce The number of D1 football and basketball teams and align them with the pro teams, rather than a school. This is startng to happen with the G league in basketball. They will siphon off the best one and done players. This will reduce the donors who are controlling college athletics now for bragging rights for their alma mater and eliminate coaching bidding war at the universities and shift it to the business of the pro league. But the pro minor leagues still have to honor item 2 above and not exploit the athletes.

It is a complex issue and the above items are just a starting point for widening the view of possible solutions. Not all are feasible. But the hypocrisy and exploitation has to stop.
    Interesting things. I really like some of your ideas.

Comment

• A pretty fair question. I guess there would be a pay scale. So much for frosh with an increment each year you are on campus. Additional money for players of note-----all-conference, all-american, etc. Sign on bonuses for recruits.

At least it would be more transparent and honest than what it is currently.

I remember reading Brian Bosworth's book years ago and he said that when he was a "student-athlete" at Oklahoma in the 1980s he had a deluxe apartment, a corvette and a jeep in his driveway, nice clothes to wear, and money in his pocket. He held no "paying job" and none of this cost him a dime. Where do you think the money came from to provide such a lifestyle? This sort of thing goes on all the time and everywhere. I don't blame the athletes one bit. I just want things to see the light of day and have them out in the open. Make it fair to all programs across the board. Have sign on bonuses and a pay scale of some sort.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

A pretty fair question. I guess there would be a pay scale. So much for frosh with an increment each year you are on campus. Additional money for players of note-----all-conference, all-american, etc. Sign on bonuses for recruits.

At least it would be more transparent and honest than what it is currently.

I remember reading Brian Bosworth's book years ago and he said that when he was a "student-athlete" at Oklahoma in the 1980s he had a deluxe apartment, a corvette and a jeep in his driveway, nice clothes to wear, and money in his pocket. He held no "paying job" and none of this cost him a dime. Where do you think the money came from to provide such a lifestyle? This sort of thing goes on all the time and everywhere. I don't blame the athletes one bit. I just want things to see the light of day and have them out in the open. Make it fair to all programs across the board. Have sign on bonuses and a pay scale of some sort.
        So who pays the athlete?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

So who pays the athlete?
          Who pays them now? LOL

Comment

• New assistant coaches:

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...f8012f087.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
              This is becoming a tradition. Tom's reputation is so strong in the coaching community that his assistants are able to leave here and move up quickly.

Both are good hires. Lexi gives them that assistant who can practice against the team -- which is a huge perk.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This is becoming a tradition. Tom's reputation is so strong in the coaching community that his assistants are able to leave here and move up quickly.

Both are good hires. Lexi gives them that assistant who can practice against the team -- which is a huge perk.
                Boehner can probably also still play against the team. After her freshman of the year award, she was a loss for Bloom.

Comment

• Tom has offered two WPIAL players - one a rising senior and one a rising junior.

Both play at Southmoreland.

Comment

• Latrobe's Anna Rafferty (6'2" PF) committed to IUP this morning. She will be a senior this year.

Comment

• IUP has added Mercyhurst grad transfer Eliza Oswalt (5'7" Guard).

Looks like she's battled injuries the past two seasons but should be a good fit in Tom's system.

Comment

• IUP will play at Dayton (exhibition) to open the season.

Comment

• Tom is second in PSAC poll.

Gannon is first.

They both got (4) first place votes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Tom is second in PSAC poll.

Gannon is first.

They both got (4) first place votes.

Comment

• The ladies are playing at Villanova tomorrow.

Comment

• Ladies getting rocked at Villanova

52-20 at half

Looks like a couple starters didn't make the trip. Tough game to go short-handed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X