Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawks just blew out a good Ohio Dominican team, 79-61. ODU got about 10 points when IUP emptied the bench at the end.

They looked pretty good. They don't go outside of the starting five hardly at all. That further explains the mid-year transfers allegedly on the way. No word yet if a third mid-year addition is also coming (Grace Magnapora). Recall she joined the team second semester last year after the volleyball season. She can play and would be a big boost.

That's a 5-0 start for the new coach. Tonight was a good win against a quality opponent.

ODU's star had (I think) 38 of their 61 points.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Hawks just blew out a good Ohio Dominican team, 79-61. ODU got about 10 points when IUP emptied the bench at the end.

They looked pretty good. They don't go outside of the starting five hardly at all. That further explains the mid-year transfers allegedly on the way. No word yet if a third mid-year addition is also coming (Grace Magnapora). Recall she joined the team second semester last year after the volleyball season. She can play and would be a big boost.

That's a 5-0 start for the new coach. Tonight was a good win against a quality opponent.

ODU's star had (I think) 38 of their 61 points.
      Grace could technically play now since her season is over.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Grace could technically play now since her season is over.
        Not even sure she's joining but last year she joined at start of second semester.

Their starting five is solid. That bench, however, needed beefed up.

They are playing much faster. It's refreshing not to see the Norman Dale offense that Tom loved.

Comment

• What was perceived to be a total rebuilding year -- many new starters, freshmen galore, new interim coach -- all the sudden has some upside.

The cavalry is also on the way to provide some quality depth. Mid-year transfers are pretty rare at IUP but this could be a big boost. As mentioned earlier, IUP's starting unit is pretty tough. The bench needs immediate, experienced help. Hence the additions.

Much like the men's side, the women's WEST is not off to a good start.
          TEAM CONFERENCE OVERALL STREAK
          IUP 2-0 6-0 W6
          Slippery Rock 1-1 6-2 L1
          Seton Hill 1-1 5-3 W1
          Edinboro 1-1 4-3 W1
          Mercyhurst 1-1 4-3 W1
          UPJ 1-1 4-3 L1
          Gannon 0-2 6-2 L2
          California 0-2 4-3 L2
          Clarion 0-2 0-6 L6
          Big 'if' here, but 'if' the new additions immediately blend in well and contribute ... this team could stay in the West race. The jury is still out a little bit. They haven't exactly played a murders' row of competition. However, much like the men's side, last year was a very strong West. This year many teams look to be in rebuilding mode.

This is a more fun team to watch than the past couple. They are playing at a total opposite pace than we've seen during the Tom regime. They push the ball and play up-tempo. The Norman Dale offense is gone.

They should win this Sunday against Goldey-Beacom, but after that Kutztown and West Chester will be a whole new ballgame. Gannon, picked first in the West, just went 0-2 against that duo.

So far, Mr. Interim is making a solid impression.

Comment

What was perceived to be a total rebuilding year -- many new starters, freshmen galore, new interim coach -- all the sudden has some upside.

The cavalry is also on the way to provide some quality depth. Mid-year transfers are pretty rare at IUP but this could be a big boost. As mentioned earlier, IUP's starting unit is pretty tough. The bench needs immediate, experienced help. Hence the additions.

Much like the men's side, the women's WEST is not off to a good start.
            TEAM CONFERENCE OVERALL STREAK
            IUP 2-0 6-0 W6
            Slippery Rock 1-1 6-2 L1
            Seton Hill 1-1 5-3 W1
            Edinboro 1-1 4-3 W1
            Mercyhurst 1-1 4-3 W1
            UPJ 1-1 4-3 L1
            Gannon 0-2 6-2 L2
            California 0-2 4-3 L2
            Clarion 0-2 0-6 L6
            Big 'if' here, but 'if' the new additions immediately blend in well and contribute ... this team could stay in the West race. The jury is still out a little bit. They haven't exactly played a murders' row of competition. However, much like the men's side, last year was a very strong West. This year many teams look to be in rebuilding mode.

This is a more fun team to watch than the past couple. They are playing at a total opposite pace than we've seen during the Tom regime. They push the ball and play up-tempo. The Norman Dale offense is gone.

They should win this Sunday against Goldey-Beacom, but after that Kutztown and West Chester will be a whole new ballgame. Gannon, picked first in the West, just went 0-2 against that duo.

So far, Mr. Interim is making a solid impression.
            Maybe IUP will be the one in the West. I was surprised at how easily the Ship women handled Cal and Slippery Rock over the weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Maybe IUP will be the one in the West. I was surprised at how easily the Ship women handled Cal and Slippery Rock over the weekend.
              They are intriguing. I'll be the first to admit I thought this season was going to be an utter disaster. A couple players who didn't seem to fit Tom's turtle-slow system seem to be thriving in this faster style. Naturally, the one who left for Cal would really thrive in this style of play. But, that's water under the bridge.

We'll see. Like I said, their schedule has been very light so they better not be getting any champagne ready. Adding two (low level) D1 guards at mid-season could be a fantastic boost or a disaster. Likely one or the other. But, I think to make a run he had to do it.

Looking long term (and assuming he gets the job), Carey has been offering players the polar opposite of Tom's typical targets. Tom loved set shooters, etc. He's chasing more dynamic playmakers, etc.

Hey, we're remotely talking about the team on here so something is working. So far, anyway.

Comment

• The women's team has cracked the D2SIDA Top 25 -- coming in at No. 14. However, they remain unranked in the WBCA Top 25.

It's still hard to get a grasp. Their opponents thus far have a combined 11-28 record. They should cruise this Sunday but things will start to get real in a hurry after that point.

Comment

• Starting with the good news, the ladies defeated Goldey Beacom (3-6) by 12 points yesterday. IUP is now 7-0.

The bad news: IUP played very poorly in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters. Oddly, they looked like a legit power in the first quarter.

In fact, GB cut a big lead down to a single point late in the game.

The real bad news is when GB went to a press, all hell broke loose for IUP. All told, the Hawks committed a whopping 29 turnovers (and somehow won).

So, with this film now out, they better get ready for the press because it's coming.

The lack of depth is really showing against better teams. GB is a deceiving 3-6. They've played some good teams very tough. IUP has some depth underneath but is very thin at guard. The program also has not announced the mid-year transfers as of today.

Things get real in a hurry this Sunday/Monday.

Fun team to watch so far (usually).

Comment

Starting with the good news, the ladies defeated Goldey Beacom (3-6) by 12 points yesterday. IUP is now 7-0.

The bad news: IUP played very poorly in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters. Oddly, they looked like a legit power in the first quarter.

In fact, GB cut a big lead down to a single point late in the game.

The real bad news is when GB went to a press, all hell broke loose for IUP. All told, the Hawks committed a whopping 29 turnovers (and somehow won).

So, with this film now out, they better get ready for the press because it's coming.

The lack of depth is really showing against better teams. GB is a deceiving 3-6. They've played some good teams very tough. IUP has some depth underneath but is very thin at guard. The program also has not announced the mid-year transfers as of today.

Things get real in a hurry this Sunday/Monday.

Fun team to watch so far (usually).
                    I just don’t see this as a ranked team, or NCAA tournament team. They’ve won all of their games against moderate to weak competition. A win is a win and you have to win the games you should, so credit due there. Cardona has been a nice surprise. She never seemed to get her feet under her last year but looks like a completely different player so far this year. Cerro is also much better. I think those two things alone are what has this team unbeaten.

If they split the next two I’ll be convinced. If they win both I’ll be really convinced. We’ll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I just don’t see this as a ranked team, or NCAA tournament team. They’ve won all of their games against moderate to weak competition. A win is a win and you have to win the games you should, so credit due there. Cardona has been a nice surprise. She never seemed to get her feet under her last year but looks like a completely different player so far this year. Cerro is also much better. I think those two things alone are what has this team unbeaten.

If they split the next two I’ll be convinced. If they win both I’ll be really convinced. We’ll see.
                      Agreed. The jury is still out. Tom had a pretty weak schedule booked before he left. We're going to find out real soon.

I think Gina Adam's has a huge upside. She can pop 'em from downtown. Cerro looks like a different player.

Comment

Agreed. The jury is still out. Tom had a pretty weak schedule booked before he left. We're going to find out real soon.

I think Gina Adam's has a huge upside. She can pop 'em from downtown. Cerro looks like a different player.
                        I had Cerro quitting a couple years ago and transferring. She looked over matched and was in tears on the bench. Boy has she turned it around. Good for her!

Comment

I had Cerro quitting a couple years ago and transferring. She looked over matched and was in tears on the bench. Boy has she turned it around. Good for her!
                          It could be as simple as she just wasn't a fit in Tom's offense -- which, of course, consisted of passing the ball 13 times until a shooter became wide open 20' from the basket. She'd have never been a 20-point scorer under that regime.

They are playing two point guards together (Cerro and Baughman). It surprised me they had so much trouble with the press against Goldey Beacom. Hopefully the issue was as simple as it was just really the first time they faced one this year.

Comment

It could be as simple as she just wasn't a fit in Tom's offense -- which, of course, consisted of passing the ball 13 times until a shooter became wide open 20' from the basket. She'd have never been a 20-point scorer under that regime.

They are playing two point guards together (Cerro and Baughman). It surprised me they had so much trouble with the press against Goldey Beacom. Hopefully the issue was as simple as it was just really the first time they faced one this year.
                            Two PG’s isn’t always the answer to breaking a press. A lot of PG’s like to dribble but you need passers.

Comment

Two PG’s isn’t always the answer to breaking a press. A lot of PG’s like to dribble but you need passers.
                              Yup, dribbling the ball around and getting trapped on one side of the floor is a big no-no against a press. A good pressing team will punish a lot of bouncing the ball and any hesitation on the PG's part. I'm surprised at the number of teams, both men's and women's, who allow themselves to get trapped in along the lines against pressing defenses. Players also need to move toward passes instead of waiting for a pass to get to them. I remember our girls' high school team some years back deploying in a formation against a good pressing team and simply standing like statues waiting for the ball to be passed to them. Girls on the other team simply swooped in front of them time after time to steal the ball. The sad thing was we had some decent players on our team, including a girl who was probably one of the best players in the league, but the coaching was not good.

Comment

• The ladies won today, 61-57.

It was one of the ugliest basketball games imaginable -- combined with a whistle festival.

IUP shot just 35.5% from the field and an ugly 14.3% from deep. Kutztown wasn't much better, shooting 37.3% and 22.2%.

Teirra Preston picked up her second foul, literally, 25 seconds in to the game. She sat the rest of the half. IUP trailed nearly the entire game but the tide started to shift upon her return. Maria Cerro had another strong game with 19 points.

The good news is the mid-year transfers are no longer a rumor. They were on the bench today (street clothes). One is a very tall guard -- I'd guess close to 6' or so. The other looks more like a PG.

Their arrival is going to be a massive boost because the current bench isn't giving them a whole lot of production.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X