Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Just remember, this coach is cleaning up Tommy Boy's mess. He was a late hire and left him a minimal roster. Any success this year is a bonus.
    Correct. The cupboard was left pretty bare. This team also has a dramatic lack of speed. But, most of Tom's teams did, too, so those left over were recruited to fit his slower style of play. Tom's recruiting started to take a dip his last several years. Don't forget he inherited a Mercedes when he got here. Jeff Dow had that program ready to explode when that whole mess went down.

Carey has done better than probably anybody could have expected. Tom put them in a really bad spot with that late retirement. Carey rolled the dice on the two mid-year transfers. I suppose they've helped some but certainly not to the level some hoped. It was worth a shot.

Their starting five is pretty solid. But, as soon as they have to go to the bench, all hell breaks loose. Run/Gun teams will blow them out if IUP can't force them out of that style. They just get wore out (as we saw at Edinboro). That was a good game for a bit ... in the 30-30 range. Then ... poof.

Carey's weakness from what I've seen is he can't work the officials at all. Perhaps it's his age. Perhaps it's inexperience. Perhaps officials know he's the 'interim' and ignore him. It's likely a bit of all three. They also don't appear to alter much during the game (adjustments). That's likely because the personnel they have is geared to one very specific style of play.

Hard to say at this point if he'll get the full-time job. Again, with Tom's late-summer, totally unexpected departure, they just weren't going to get a of candidates. Opening the job in March/April, however, changes that big time. It's a great D2 job. They will get flooded with candidates this time around.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Correct. The cupboard was left pretty bare. This team also has a dramatic lack of speed. But, most of Tom's teams did, too, so those left over were recruited to fit his slower style of play. Tom's recruiting started to take a dip his last several years. Don't forget he inherited a Mercedes when he got here. Jeff Dow had that program ready to explode when that whole mess went down.

Carey has done better than probably anybody could have expected. Tom put them in a really bad spot with that late retirement. Carey rolled the dice on the two mid-year transfers. I suppose they've helped some but certainly not to the level some hoped. It was worth a shot.

Their starting five is pretty solid. But, as soon as they have to go to the bench, all hell breaks loose. Run/Gun teams will blow them out if IUP can't force them out of that style. They just get wore out (as we saw at Edinboro). That was a good game for a bit ... in the 30-30 range. Then ... poof.

Carey's weakness from what I've seen is he can't work the officials at all. Perhaps it's his age. Perhaps it's inexperience. Perhaps officials know he's the 'interim' and ignore him. It's likely a bit of all three. They also don't appear to alter much during the game (adjustments). That's likely because the personnel they have is geared to one very specific style of play.

Hard to say at this point if he'll get the full-time job. Again, with Tom's late-summer, totally unexpected departure, they just weren't going to get a of candidates. Opening the job in March/April, however, changes that big time. It's a great D2 job. They will get flooded with candidates this time around.
      It was 30-30 and I said if IUP continues to run with them it will come back to haunt them. BOOM! Boro then drained at least 6 three balls in a row. It was over at that point. This team has to slow the game down and play half court. It's a must! Stop others in transition. That didn't happen against Boro. This coach doesn't change at all. It's like beating a dead horse.

Comment

Just remember, this coach is cleaning up Tommy Boy's mess. He was a late hire and left him a minimal roster. Any success this year is a bonus.
        Agree. My comment wasn’t made to place blame. It just is what it is. If you would have told me this team was going to have the record it does now before the season started I wouldn’t have believed it. If this is what a rebuilding year looks like that’s a good sign.

Comment

• This team looks like it has quit.

Awful

Comment

This team looks like it has quit.

Awful
            This bum coach has quit. Watch his body language The whole 4th quarter.

Comment

• The Interim Coach = Hot Garbage

Comment

• Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
                The Interim Coach = Hot Garbage
                He’s absolutely horrible. You don’t stop coaching and show frustration bc things aren’t going your way. Unreal!

Comment

He’s absolutely horrible. You don’t stop coaching and show frustration bc things aren’t going your way. Unreal!
                  I hope they left him in Slippery Rock.

What an embarrassment tonight.

Comment

• I fully suspect last night was the final audition for Cleary. He'll finish the season out and that will be it. The job will certainly be opened up. Being honest, both those teams stunk last night. That was a horrendous game to watch. I mean, just ugly. Alana Cardona (starting forward) didn't play but that's no excuse. SRU had a couple players out, too.

As bad as IUP played the Hawks still should have won that game by 10 points -- let alone actually lose it. It would have helped to have a coach on the bench who, you know, actually coached. He's tapped out and it was very clear last night. It's sickening to watch. Not to mention, of course, it's clear the players are paying him no mind and looked disinterested for about 90% of that game.

Cleary literally spent his whole night pacing the sideline, making some occasional hand gestures to officials, getting ignored and then sitting back down quietly. They don't alter one thing from quarter to quarter or game to game. They don't sub when needed. He doesn't call timeouts when needed. That has to be the easiest team to scout in the NCAA. Which, of course, is why they are now getting hammered by good teams and losing to bad teams. He got off to a good start in Tom's pre-scheduled creampuff November. But, to beat just about every team in the West it takes some coaching.

If I'd coach against them I'd do exactly what SRU did. Put your best defender on Cerro, try to play fast and, well, that's it.

If you could have seen the two benches last night they couldn't have been more opposite. SRU also has an interim coach but the players respond to her -- and she coaches. They wanted that game, led 99% of it and pulled it out in the last 20 seconds. Most of Tom's teams would have beat that SRU team last night by 35-40 points. Think about that.

Comment

• The loss last night snapped a 29-game winning streak for the IUP ladies against SRU.

Comment

• Hard to say what happened behind the scenes because he seemed more engaged earlier in the season. Maybe he was told 1) we are not handing you this job and there will be a competitive search, or 2) we do not plan to hire you as the head coach at the end of the season. I’m not saying it’s right, but that could certainly change a person’s level of desire and commitment. Or, and maybe the most likely, he’s just not ready to lead a DII women’s basketball team. Maybe he doesn’t want to? So many possibilities.

Comment

I fully suspect last night was the final audition for Cleary. He'll finish the season out and that will be it. The job will certainly be opened up. Being honest, both those teams stunk last night. That was a horrendous game to watch. I mean, just ugly. Alana Cardona (starting forward) didn't play but that's no excuse. SRU had a couple players out, too.

As bad as IUP played the Hawks still should have won that game by 10 points -- let alone actually lose it. It would have helped to have a coach on the bench who, you know, actually coached. He's tapped out and it was very clear last night. It's sickening to watch. Not to mention, of course, it's clear the players are paying him no mind and looked disinterested for about 90% of that game.

Cleary literally spent his whole night pacing the sideline, making some occasional hand gestures to officials, getting ignored and then sitting back down quietly. They don't alter one thing from quarter to quarter or game to game. They don't sub when needed. He doesn't call timeouts when needed. That has to be the easiest team to scout in the NCAA. Which, of course, is why they are now getting hammered by good teams and losing to bad teams. He got off to a good start in Tom's pre-scheduled creampuff November. But, to beat just about every team in the West it takes some coaching.

If I'd coach against them I'd do exactly what SRU did. Put your best defender on Cerro, try to play fast and, well, that's it.

If you could have seen the two benches last night they couldn't have been more opposite. SRU also has an interim coach but the players respond to her -- and she coaches. They wanted that game, led 99% of it and pulled it out in the last 20 seconds. Most of Tom's teams would have beat that SRU team last night by 35-40 points. Think about that.
                          SRU's interim coach isn't calling the strategy though. She has an older experienced coach who draws out the plays during the team time outs. I've never seen that before. To be honest, I'm not sure what the head coach is doing other than pacing & engaging the ref squad.

Comment

• Nice bounce back win yesterday for the ladies.

That was the first time Preston and Cardona have played together in 7-8 games. They are much different with both in the lineup.

Cardona went 4-4 from trey land in the first half and then they stopped feeding her. That was odd. They also continue to struggle with layups. But, that was a good win against a respectable opponent.

Comment

Nice bounce back win yesterday for the ladies.

That was the first time Preston and Cardona have played together in 7-8 games. They are much different with both in the lineup.

Cardona went 4-4 from trey land in the first half and then they stopped feeding her. That was odd. They also continue to struggle with layups. But, that was a good win against a respectable opponent.
                              I’d love to see a shooting percentage chart from spots on the floor for this team. The number of basic layups they miss in seemingly every game is mind blowing. They may be shooting a higher percentage from 10 feet than under the basket.

The ESU women are not very good, but somehow they managed to beat two teams that the IUP ladies lost to. It’s pretty much a toss up who’s going to win the conference on the women’s side.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I’d love to see a shooting percentage chart from spots on the floor for this team. The number of basic layups they miss in seemingly every game is mind blowing. They may be shooting a higher percentage from 10 feet than under the basket.

The ESU women are not very good, but somehow they managed to beat two teams that the IUP ladies lost to. It’s pretty much a toss up who’s going to win the conference on the women’s side.
                                Carey talked about them continuing to miss layups game after the game. It's so bizarre.

I agree ... I think they shoot a way higher percentage from 10-12' than they do from 1-3'

They just don't get bad bounces ... I mean they miss layups in ugly fashion.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X