Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP has picked up a big transfer for next season. Marin Miller (formerly of Millersville) has signed and is already enrolled.

She started at PG for the Marauders last year and scored 15.9 PPG (2nd team All-East) as a true freshman.

Miller is a very strong outside shooter. She will have three years' eligibility at IUP.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Huge victory for the ladies. They had no business staying close in that game let alone winning it. What a gutsy performance. While they did try to blow it in the final seconds there were a lot of things they did right in key moments, none bigger than Henderson taking that charge when she had four fouls. I don’t know what Gannon’s head coach was throwing a fit about. The girl lowered her shoulder and plowed right into her. Kudos to the ref for calling it.

Cerro drew seven fouls against her today driving to the hoop. Macey Jarrett who should really just be getting 6-8 minutes a game while learning the system is now forced to contribute for real and while she only scored two points, it was her work defensively that helped keep IUP in it. Yes, she gave up some points to a girl several inches taller and who was last year’s player of the year, but she made it difficult and did help keep the ball out of the hoop several times. It’s hard to believe she was playing forward today and holding her own agains that very long Gannon lineup. Weaver was much better today than the other night. She’s going to be dominant the next couple years.

I told my wife after the first quarter that it was exactly the type of game IUP needed to have a chance today. They mucked it up and kept fighting and frankly, they were just tougher even though it was 11 on 7. I was surprised Gannon sat the freshman guard, #5 Cernuto, for I believe the entire 4th quarter. I think she’s fantastic and the best guard they have. Yes, she made a couple turnovers as freshmen will but that was a head scratcher for me.

Listening the radio on the way home, it sounds like they’re going to get Preston back at some point. That’s huge.
    Yes, the word leaked today Preston is not done for the season. There is a chance she could actually return fairly quickly.

They are much different with her than without her, obviously.

Like him or not, Carey got a signature win today. He also beat Cal. He's not exactly Mr. Personality, but, regardless.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-10-2024, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    IUP did everything possible to lose that game in final 60 seconds. Holy Freak.

Regardless, huge win over Gannon.
    Huge victory for the ladies. They had no business staying close in that game let alone winning it. What a gutsy performance. While they did try to blow it in the final seconds there were a lot of things they did right in key moments, none bigger than Henderson taking that charge when she had four fouls. I don’t know what Gannon’s head coach was throwing a fit about. The girl lowered her shoulder and plowed right into her. Kudos to the ref for calling it.

Cerro drew seven fouls against her today driving to the hoop. Macey Jarrett who should really just be getting 6-8 minutes a game while learning the system is now forced to contribute for real and while she only scored two points, it was her work defensively that helped keep IUP in it. Yes, she gave up some points to a girl several inches taller and who was last year’s player of the year, but she made it difficult and did help keep the ball out of the hoop several times. It’s hard to believe she was playing forward today and holding her own agains that very long Gannon lineup. Weaver was much better today than the other night. She’s going to be dominant the next couple years.

I told my wife after the first quarter that it was exactly the type of game IUP needed to have a chance today. They mucked it up and kept fighting and frankly, they were just tougher even though it was 11 on 7. I was surprised Gannon sat the freshman guard, #5 Cernuto, for I believe the entire 4th quarter. I think she’s fantastic and the best guard they have. Yes, she made a couple turnovers as freshmen will but that was a head scratcher for me.

Listening the radio on the way home, it sounds like they’re going to get Preston back at some point. That’s huge.
    Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 02-10-2024, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP did everything possible to lose that game in final 60 seconds. Holy Freak.

Regardless, huge win over Gannon.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't think there is anything more to it aside from playing time. All four were recruited by the previous regime. The writing was on the wall.
    Yes, there was nothing more to it other than the way they did it. Nothing like jumping ship on your team because apparently it’s all about you. That’s the mindset these days.

They really were awful last night. That may be the worst I’ve seen them play this season. The way the game was called didn’t help. The refs were ridiculously whistle happy. IUP probably wins without the foul outs, or foul trouble that caused them to play NBA All-Star Game defense. I think they’ll play better Saturday but they’re far too thin to realistically expect them to win.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post
    If 4 players are choosing to leave, there's something bigger at play then them just being selfish or making youthful choices. You have to chalk it up to leadership of the team, for not setting expectation properly, not building a cohesive team dynamic that everyone knows roles and is willing to play them, and not tapping leadership amongst players to rally SAs to keep players from dropping.

Not only is it suspicious to me, but also would not give a recruit a ton of trust either, would it?

I've said it before: the region, conference, and division are better when IUP is a force. Right now they're good enough but Carey seems to have a lot of opportunities for growth. Hopefully he's willing to put the time in, along with his players this offseason.

IIRC wasn't the Centrulla thing also an issue at Hurst? She would occasionally just disappear in critical games. I would love to know the story for her transfer. I'm sure there's some... interesting information to learn?
    I don't think there is anything more to it aside from playing time. All four were recruited by the previous regime. The writing was on the wall.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadLibs
    replied
    If 4 players are choosing to leave, there's something bigger at play then them just being selfish or making youthful choices. You have to chalk it up to leadership of the team, for not setting expectation properly, not building a cohesive team dynamic that everyone knows roles and is willing to play them, and not tapping leadership amongst players to rally SAs to keep players from dropping.

Not only is it suspicious to me, but also would not give a recruit a ton of trust either, would it?

I've said it before: the region, conference, and division are better when IUP is a force. Right now they're good enough but Carey seems to have a lot of opportunities for growth. Hopefully he's willing to put the time in, along with his players this offseason.

IIRC wasn't the Centrulla thing also an issue at Hurst? She would occasionally just disappear in critical games. I would love to know the story for her transfer. I'm sure there's some... interesting information to learn?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Well, unfortunately for IUP, last nights game is on film It will be no secret how to beat them moving forward with this half-a-roster.

Attack the two remaining bigs. Early. Often. Every possesion, in fact, until they are in foul trouble. There is nobody else (literally). IUP's two bigs both dealt with early foul trouble and then had to play (at best) very conservative defense -- right up until both fouled out. IUP also had a guard foul out, and was one more foul on a different guard from having to play with four players.

I understand those four players who left leaving because they weren't going to play here. The part I don't understand is the timing. It was well known Carey had signed three high-profile incoming transfers. Why didn't those players leave over the summer? By ditching the team (after the freaking season started), well, they really gave a big middle finger to IUP. It left the team with zero depth -- and most importantly, it was too late to replace them. Two of them could have certainly played this year (especially now). The other two were likely to be on the bench their whole careers.

IUP has to get more production out of its remaining bench. Macie Jarrett has potential but seems very hesitant on the floor. She was a mid-year addition so that's understandable to an extent. But, she has to stay out of foul trouble. She fouled out last night in just 24 minutes. Janeira Scott (backup PG) essentially had no stats in 15 minutes -- aside from a whopping four (highly costly) turnovers. They don't need Allen Iverson when she's in the game. They need the PG to facilitate.

Grace Centrulla had by far her worst game at IUP. In her return to Mercyhurst, she was held scoreless (took only one shot) and fouled out in just 21 minutes. Rahmena Henderson also had 6 turnovers - far too many for a shooting guard.

I think in a nutshell you chalk last night up to the transition game of starting over without a team leader who has been at IUP for a very long time. IUP shot the ball good enough to win most games. The killer was the incredible 23 turnovers. This was against at team IUP blew out of the building a month ago. To lose by just 3 points on a night you foul out 3 of 8 players and turn the ball over 23 times is impressive. They fought, but never should have lost that game.

The head ball coach also let his team get plastered in a 16-0 run in the thrid quarter and didn't call a single timeout. That's Coaching 101. He has to stop the momentum.

I do think once they settle down and adjust to life after Preston they will still win several games. Saturday likely won't be one of them but they should look more in-tune.

I'm not sure on the rules ... could they add somebody to the roster at this point? There has to be a couple good female basketball players on campus. Sounds crazy to think about adding somebody in February but they are one injury away from maybe not having a team.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    No excuses. It’s a game they could have won, but I expected this with Preston being out. Weaver didn’t look like a player that could give you 30-35 minutes and it’s just a very, very short bench. They got almost nothing out of Grace tonight. Maybe it was the pressure of playing in her old gym. All that aside, I have a feeling the stretch run isn’t going to be a joyride. These girls have to be wearing down with the minutes piling up on them and the hill just got steeper.
    That was awful to watch. Amazing they lost by a basket. Horrible performance.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    No excuses. It’s a game they could have won, but I expected this with Preston being out. Weaver didn’t look like a player that could give you 30-35 minutes and it’s just a very, very short bench. They got almost nothing out of Grace tonight. Maybe it was the pressure of playing in her old gym. All that aside, I have a feeling the stretch run isn’t going to be a joyride. These girls have to be wearing down with the minutes piling up on them and the hill just got steeper.

Leave a comment:

• IUP1423
    replied
    Won by 20 at home. Lose tonight.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP is one KB foul from having to play with four players. Not joking.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Give up a 16-0 run and boy wonder doesn't call a single timeout. Good Lord. I guess he's going to take them home.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Scott has become a turnover machine. It's killing them.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP played God awful in the first quarter.

Amazingly, they are down just 16-14 after one.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X