X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

There’s a John Wooden quote that applies to this team and that’s “Be quick, but don’t be in a hurry.” For whatever reason they have stretches in games when they play unnecessarily in a hurry trying to make long passes to bigs running down the floor or ill-advised passes during transition. They also rushed a couple shots on semi-breakaways that resulted in embarrassing misses when all they needed to do was dribble out and set up the offense.

All of those things can be corrected. They can still play up tempo without trying to turn games into a track meet. Few teams have three legitimate bigs including one that’s 6’1” and can hit threes and I think they could lean on that advantage more. I’m sure it’s discussed in practice but maybe calling a few more timeouts in games to reset the thinking would help. I hate to be too critical after a big win where they dominated most of the way, but we saw the sloppy play cost them against Edinboro and inevitably it will again down the road if not corrected.
    Cerro has looked off the past few games. She had some real shaky decisions last night. The backup PG also committed a whooping 6 TOs in limited minutes.

IUP really should have that game by 25 points. Their self-inflicted turnovers can be infuriating. I agree on the timeouts. You can't take them with you.

They also have a very short bench

That wasn't a typical Jess Strom team. Good athletes, speed and nice size, but very few go-to scorers.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

IUP actually had a chance to blow them out early but of course the turn over issue let Cal linger.
    There’s a John Wooden quote that applies to this team and that’s “Be quick, but don’t be in a hurry.” For whatever reason they have stretches in games when they play unnecessarily in a hurry trying to make long passes to bigs running down the floor or ill-advised passes during transition. They also rushed a couple shots on semi-breakaways that resulted in embarrassing misses when all they needed to do was dribble out and set up the offense.

All of those things can be corrected. They can still play up tempo without trying to turn games into a track meet. Few teams have three legitimate bigs including one that’s 6’1” and can hit threes and I think they could lean on that advantage more. I’m sure it’s discussed in practice but maybe calling a few more timeouts in games to reset the thinking would help. I hate to be too critical after a big win where they dominated most of the way, but we saw the sloppy play cost them against Edinboro and inevitably it will again down the road if not corrected.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Nice win by the ladies tonight. They took control early and didn't let up.

Interesting game up next -- oddly against an 0-18 Clarion.
    IUP actually had a chance to blow them out early but of course the turn over issue let Cal linger.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Nice win by the ladies tonight. They took control early and didn't let up.

Interesting game up next -- oddly against an 0-18 Clarion.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Played well today. SRU is awful.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadLibs
    replied
    How close are they to an open gym tryout a la TCU?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The good news: big win in the McKenna Center for IUP (that's been a house or horror for them over the years).

The bad news: IUP should have NEVER been in a close(ish) game.

This program - going on years now - misses more layups than any team I've ever seen. The self-inflicted turnovers are also alarming.

As I said the other day, this is a very talented, balanced team. They are just sloppy - some more than others.

Two upperclassmen are in a funk. Luckily for them, they can't get benched. There's nobody on the bench. I think IUP dressed 7 players tonight.

Carey and Lombardi are in a secret game to see who can have the least players dressed.

It was a very tough atmosphere --;WAY louder than the men's game. SH has a very passionate women's following.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

She left the floor twice from the 8:00 minute mark. Neither time did IUP lose the lead and in fact, they built a two possession lead with her off the floor. They had the lead when she came back on the floor and subsequently lost the lead with her on the floor. She also took and missed the final shot. She also led the team in turnovers today with four. I’m in no way putting it on Maria, but to suggest they lost the game because she wasn’t on the floor the entire time down the stretch is reaching.
    Their biggest issue is careless turnovers. The concern is these are upperclassmen guards who shouldn't be making freshmen-ish mistakes (routinely). I'd bet at least 50 percent of IUP's turnovers in the loss were self-inflicted. The whole running the baseline thing they love drives me insane, but they also love risky, low-percentage passes way too much.

If one were to break down that film from Saturday, it would be sickening to watch.

It would also teach the ageless lesson that when you let a good team hang around forever - instead of putting them away - eventually you get burned.

I don't think this group has yet fully learned how to best play together. An adjustment was expected. They have a lot of new faces. One of Carey's early traits has been losing some games he shouldn't. Saturday was another of those.

The technical was an absolute killer. That was a massive momentum swing. It swung the whole game in my opinion.

This team is good. No question. Can it take that next step? We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadLibs
    replied
    Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

From individuals close to the program, I, also had heard that they are extremely high on that individual being redshirted. She certainly had a remarkable high school career, so we shall see. But, Cleve has a history of bringing in talent and blending it into his system and the results speak for themselves.
    One night after glass of wine number 3 or 4 I found video of her in the playoffs last March. She reminds me so much of Brittany Tabron in the post. A true presence, soft touch, and I think she can hit the 3 too? Good to hear people are saying similar. All of my close connections are gone, and I can't make it in person so I rely on my mediocre observations 😂.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadLibs
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The painful part is that team is SO close to being very good.

They are sloppy. Carey has all the tools.

The machine just isn't fine-tuned. That's on him.

They lost a game they should have won by double digits.

Clean the sh!t up.
    This.
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• TheMadLibs
    replied

What is it that you don’t like about Craig Carey? I admit I was skeptical of him last year when he had the interim tag but as someone who has seen all but a couple of their games, my opinion has changed. Other than the other night when I thought a couple of the women should have gotten a few more minutes, he’s used a smart rotation he coaches harder than it appears at first glance. He’s just not an “in your face” personality. The women seem to take to him and for the first time in a while, you don’t hear grumbling around the program about unhappy players.

How many IUP women’s basketball games have you seen to inform that opinion?
    I'm super glad to hear that around the program there's a positive attitude and less grumbling. That's honestly refreshing to hear! And critical for the future. Gannon and the PSAC are better when IUP is a strong program competing at the top. I want tough competition and Gannon Cal IUP to be fighting tooth and nail for the top seed.

I've watched 8 or 9 games this year (caretaking plus insomnia)? Do I think he's awful? No, not at all. Do I think he's young and has improved from last year? Yes, absolutely. Is the short roster hurting him? Yes, but it happened last year too, which leads me to question the culture on the team and his ability to unite tbh. When I compare what I'd call the top teams in the West this year (GU, CAL, Hurst this year) you see a demeanor during huddles and on the court I frankly don't see under Careys team this year or last (and didn't much with McConnells). His style is definitely different, and that can be fine. Team doesn't come together after whistles, they scatter. Bench is disengaged lots of the game. Starters aren't communicating. Those are impacts of coaching, no?

Some other things I've seen are below. What do I know but, man, I think Carey teams will beat the bad teams and be average at best in the West. I'll give him a few more recruiting classes, but right now I see him being a consistent 16 to 18 win coach in this conference.

1. Unforced turnovers (the number of travels, double dribbles, telegraphed passes) are high.
    2. Yes, the bench is unfortunately short, but his rotations have allowed teams to come back in games bc his pg and bigs are landing in deep foul trouble in q2 consistently. He obviously has to make cost benefit analyses, but my point is I don't think he's pulling the right strings against better teams successfully enough.
    3. Offense often is flat footed if they don't score in transition that leads to turnovers. They seem to score best in transition and not in a set half court. In the half court, his offense is not taking advantage of size and getting to the line enough. They're getting opponents more free throws than they are, and that's with some talented bigs. And overall, it seems like they're not prepared on in game management. Lots of instances where players are making me decisions instead of team, taking bad shots, not situationally aware. Not running clock and forced shots, etc.
    4. He's at a disadvantage with weak nonconf schedule. Perhaps in the next few years in the role he'll have better luck, but the last few years they're not prepared for play in the West and start to collapse around mid January, either endurance, preparation against adversity, or something else.
    5. He's running a good defense, I don't doubt that. It keeps them in most games against deeper benches. In fact, the more I watch the more commonality I see to ex GU Coach Reilly. Good to great D, strong pg and big men who rebound well, but scoring against good defenses seems... problematic.

When I look at the PSAC, he reminds me of the UPJ coach or Katarski. Fine. Good dude. Finds gems. Can compete every night. Will have some unexpected wins. But will be a happy to make it to the playoffs attitude. Prove me wrong, I want to be!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Mercyhurst lost in Greensburg yesterday so they dodged a bullet (and, however, missed an opportunity).

Unfortunately, IUP plays there next - and has struggled there at times.

Aside from Gannon pulling away, this women's race is going to be pretty hectic.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

She left the floor twice from the 8:00 minute mark. Neither time did IUP lose the lead and in fact, they built a two possession lead with her off the floor. They had the lead when she came back on the floor and subsequently lost the lead with her on the floor. She also took and missed the final shot. She also led the team in turnovers today with four. I’m in no way putting it on Maria, but to suggest they lost the game because she wasn’t on the floor the entire time down the stretch is reaching.
    The painful part is that team is SO close to being very good.

They are sloppy. Carey has all the tools.

The machine just isn't fine-tuned. That's on him.

They lost a game they should have won by double digits.

Clean the sh!t up.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    One way or another ... Devastating loss.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Just stop! Carey was clueless as to what to do. How the heck is their best PG Cerro not on the floor late in games? The floor general was not on the floor in this late game collapse, period! That's on Carey!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X