X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Just stop! Carey was clueless as to what to do. How the heck is their best PG Cerro not on the floor late in games? The floor general was not on the floor in this late game collapse, period! That's on Carey!
    That team - like clockwork - dribbles out of bounds under the basket at least 10 times per game. It's maddening.

Every time they get cute and run the baseline they go out. Cost them at least 10 points today. Probably more.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I have trouble putting that on him. The ladies just didn’t have it today. The turnovers weren’t on him and neither was the foul shooting. They were also slow on defense and showed little hustle. The Henderson technical didn’t help. IUP was up two possessions at that point and in position to take command, but instead Boro makes a free throw and scores on the next possession and now it’s a dogfight again.

I suppose it’s going to happen. Teams lose games every year that that shouldn’t and today was one of those days. I guess the one thing I will put on Carey is I thought Baughman should have taken the last shot. That may be what was drawn up and it got taken away, but she was the best scorer on the floor at the time. I might have also had Benito in there with Henderson out. She’s a sharp shooter and probably would have been ignored. Regardless, it should have never come to that.
    Just stop! Carey was clueless as to what to do. How the heck is their best PG Cerro not on the floor late in games? The floor general was not on the floor in this late game collapse, period! That's on Carey!

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Carey was embarrassing. What an awful loss for IUP.

Total disaster.
    I have trouble putting that on him. The ladies just didn’t have it today. The turnovers weren’t on him and neither was the foul shooting. They were also slow on defense and showed little hustle. The Henderson technical didn’t help. IUP was up two possessions at that point and in position to take command, but instead Boro makes a free throw and scores on the next possession and now it’s a dogfight again.

I suppose it’s going to happen. Teams lose games every year that that shouldn’t and today was one of those days. I guess the one thing I will put on Carey is I thought Baughman should have taken the last shot. That may be what was drawn up and it got taken away, but she was the best scorer on the floor at the time. I might have also had Benito in there with Henderson out. She’s a sharp shooter and probably would have been ignored. Regardless, it should have never come to that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    IUP women were awful today. When you commit 19 turnovers, most of them unforced, and only shoot 67% from the foul line you’re going to have trouble beating Pitt-Bradford. No disrespect to Edinboro. They played about as good as they could play and made the big shot when it mattered, but IUP should have won that game by double digits.
    Carey was embarrassing. What an awful loss for IUP.

Total disaster.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    IUP women were awful today. When you commit 19 turnovers, most of them unforced, and only shoot 67% from the foul line you’re going to have trouble beating Pitt-Bradford. No disrespect to Edinboro. They played about as good as they could play and made the big shot when it mattered, but IUP should have won that game by double digits.

Leave a comment:

• gman16506
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post
    Never count Cal out. And I think you're dismissing a tall, talented Hurst team a bit. They're going to lose some games but I think they'll surprise a few folks as the season goes on (much to my chagrin). I still think they'll be 2nd at the end of reg season, with cal and iup battling for 3 and 4. Boro and IUP lack depth, their D keeps them both in games. I just don't see a lot of offensive firepower in either team (said praying I don't eat my words).

The other factor about Gannon is Cleve has been battling injuries and illnesses all of January. Not sure how many people realize that he completely shook up his starting 5 at Cal and had both his center and backup pg out for 3 and 4 games respectively. In that time, he's moved his starting 2 and 3 to the bench (both soph) and starting redshirt freshman in the post and a true freshman at the wing. I think the rotation is still gelling a bit. Backup pg played limited minutes finally yesterday, but the rs fr continues to impress with her touch around the rim. This GU squad is much younger than I think people realize. And we have who I think is their best signing from the freshmen class redshirting after a late preseason injury.
    Just watched the end of the Gannon/Clarion women's game and made me realize that you were spot-on about how young Gannon is. With about 1:30 left and a six point lead, Cleve had three freshmen, a sophomore, and of course, Pirosko. Do not know if was by design, foul trouble, or an accident, but it does validate your point.

Leave a comment:

• IUP1423
    replied
    Lost to Boro.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

That was the worst performance I've seen Hurst all season so thinking they're meager off that performance alone would be absolutely justified 😂. I took that loss more like iup is one of Hursts bugaboos and they dug a hole they couldn't recover from. One of Hursts starters and 3 year players is now an iup starter (Centrulla) and I'm sure she had some scouting details to share!

I have felt for years like Cal plays down to their competitors and this year is no different. But they always ramp up at the end of the season and cause headaches and knock out a young team inching into the playoffs like Seton Hill or Hurst. I don't think cal is the 2nd best but they have a great coach and solid roster. I'll be honest, the IUP wbb coach is their greatest liability imo. Maybe I'm dumb but I'm just not impressed.
    What is it that you don’t like about Craig Carey? I admit I was skeptical of him last year when he had the interim tag but as someone who has seen all but a couple of their games, my opinion has changed. Other than the other night when I thought a couple of the women should have gotten a few more minutes, he’s used a smart rotation he coaches harder than it appears at first glance. He’s just not an “in your face” personality. The women seem to take to him and for the first time in a while, you don’t hear grumbling around the program about unhappy players.

How many IUP women’s basketball games have you seen to inform that opinion?

Leave a comment:

• TheMadLibs
    replied

I don't watch the women's game much but did happen to see the Mercyhurst game at IUP.

Perhaps it was a bad night, but the Lakers looked like a 4th or 5th best team in the division type of team. IUP beat them by 20-something.

That said, they all play twice and the second meeting often looks much different than the first.

Cal beat a pretty bad Clarion team in OT last night. Who knows.
    That was the worst performance I've seen Hurst all season so thinking they're meager off that performance alone would be absolutely justified 😂. I took that loss more like iup is one of Hursts bugaboos and they dug a hole they couldn't recover from. One of Hursts starters and 3 year players is now an iup starter (Centrulla) and I'm sure she had some scouting details to share!

I have felt for years like Cal plays down to their competitors and this year is no different. But they always ramp up at the end of the season and cause headaches and knock out a young team inching into the playoffs like Seton Hill or Hurst. I don't think cal is the 2nd best but they have a great coach and solid roster. I'll be honest, the IUP wbb coach is their greatest liability imo. Maybe I'm dumb but I'm just not impressed.
    Last edited by TheMadLibs; 01-18-2024, 04:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

I don't watch the women's game much but did happen to see the Mercyhurst game at IUP.

Perhaps it was a bad night, but the Lakers looked like a 4th or 5th best team in the division type of team. IUP beat them by 20-something.

That said, they all play twice and the second meeting often looks much different than the first.

Cal is bad. They won’t be a factor. Not even close to the Cal teams of recent years.

I suppose Hurst could beat IUP up there, but they got handled pretty easily in Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Never count Cal out. And I think you're dismissing a tall, talented Hurst team a bit. They're going to lose some games but I think they'll surprise a few folks as the season goes on (much to my chagrin). I still think they'll be 2nd at the end of reg season, with cal and iup battling for 3 and 4. Boro and IUP lack depth, their D keeps them both in games. I just don't see a lot of offensive firepower in either team (said praying I don't eat my words).

The other factor about Gannon is Cleve has been battling injuries and illnesses all of January. Not sure how many people realize that he completely shook up his starting 5 at Cal and had both his center and backup pg out for 3 and 4 games respectively. In that time, he's moved his starting 2 and 3 to the bench (both soph) and starting redshirt freshman in the post and a true freshman at the wing. I think the rotation is still gelling a bit. Backup pg played limited minutes finally yesterday, but the rs fr continues to impress with her touch around the rim. This GU squad is much younger than I think people realize. And we have who I think is their best signing from the freshmen class redshirting after a late preseason injury.

Leave a comment:

• gman16506
    replied

From individuals close to the program, I, also had heard that they are extremely high on that individual being redshirted. She certainly had a remarkable high school career, so we shall see. But, Cleve has a history of bringing in talent and blending it into his system and the results speak for themselves.

Leave a comment:

• TheMadLibs
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Nice recovery game tonight. IUP hammered UPJ pretty good.

A tough one looms Saturday (Boro).
    They were pretty dominant from start to finish. UPJ is a veteran team with a good record as well. I think IUP and Gannon have separated themselves in the West, although I know Hurst is up there. I consider IUP’s head-to-head win over them as being pretty significant. I don’t expect they’ll have much trouble with Boro on Saturday.

I’d like to see Tom, err, Carey play Benito and Jarrett more. They’re both very good players but somehow didn’t see action last night until garbage time. It’s almost like he’s keeping a couple players safe since it’s a small roster. They only had 3 minutes each while the next lowest minutes total was 20. Seems like there are a few more minutes in there for those two.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Nice recovery game tonight. IUP hammered UPJ pretty good.

A tough one looms Saturday (Boro).

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X