X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Big non-conference game tomorrow at the KCAC. IUP is hosting Daemen (who just beat Top 5 Ferris State).
    I didn’t know a thing about Daemen until I looked them up. They’ve won some big games but also lost some they probably shouldn’t have. The win over Ferris is interesting, although it was at their place so and that’s a long way from home for Ferris. This is a good measuring stick for IUP, though.

I think this IUP women’s team is very good. They truly have it all with three bigs that are legit players. They all move well and any of them can score double digits on a given night. Preston and Weaver are just nasty under the hoop and will fight to the death for a rebound. Centrulla is more of a finesse player but there aren’t many 6’1” women’s players in DII that can drain 3’s like she can. She’s also a good shot blocker.

The guards are also very good led by Cerro’s quickness and senior leadership and Henderson, Baughman, and Scott’s dynamic play. Like the forwards, any of them can go for big numbers on a given night. I like what I see from the newcomer, Jarrett, who is only going to gain confidence as the season goes along. She just looks solid on both ends of the floor and is a particularly good defender.

Carey has done a nice job of keeping his team fresh despite the small roster and the ladies seem to take to him. Barring any injuries this could be the best women’s team in the PSAC. They’ll be in the mix at least.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Big non-conference game tomorrow at the KCAC. IUP is hosting Daemen (who just beat Top 5 Ferris State).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

They’re only dressing 8-9 but they’re all playing and all good or at least good enough. I think that’s better than dressing 12-15 and having a disgruntled group sitting there waiting for garbage time minutes. The bigger concern might be practice though and not having enough bodies to work against. I assume Gina is practicing with the team at least, so that helps.
    My worry with dressing 8-9 is what happens with the next twisted ankle, sprained wrist, etc.? They have a long, long way to go. I wouldn't want to play the odds nobody else gets injured in the next 20 games or 50 practices.

If he can find anybody, I'd certainly try to add at least one more player. I'd be on campus looking for Grace Magnapora.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

That sucks. They could have really used her. Even with the mid-year transfer they have a really short bench. They are only dressing 8 or 9 players.

I wouldn't be shocked if he adds another mid-year. He has the cap room after those four bailed.
    They’re only dressing 8-9 but they’re all playing and all good or at least good enough. I think that’s better than dressing 12-15 and having a disgruntled group sitting there waiting for garbage time minutes. The bigger concern might be practice though and not having enough bodies to work against. I assume Gina is practicing with the team at least, so that helps.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I believe Adams is taking a medical redshirt for the injury she had last year.
    That sucks. They could have really used her. Even with the mid-year transfer they have a really short bench. They are only dressing 8 or 9 players.

I wouldn't be shocked if he adds another mid-year. He has the cap room after those four bailed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I have to say I really like this team after seeing them in person two nights in a row. You hit on most of the reasons. They’re big and can play a slow game, but they’re also fast enough to play up tempo. They can score inside and out and all three of the bigs are dominant in their own way. Centrulla is a heck of a weapon being able to pound the boards and hit 3’s. She’s the Ethan of the women’s team. Preston is a beast and always has that look on her face like she’s going to stab someone, LOL. She plays hard. Weaver is tough to move around underneath and is a good rebounder. She can also finish, which is something this team has struggled with at times from point blank range.

The guards are also very good on both ends of the floor. Maria can play shutdown defense but also score a bunch if needed. Kiera and Rahmena are big time scorers and I like the energy they get from Janeira. She’s way more confident than she was last year. Even Benito gives them a scoring threat off the bench. I also like what I see from Jarrett, the newcomer. She’s really good on her feet and looks like a very good defender. She just needs a little more time with the team to get comfortable. I think she can score as well but she hasn’t really tried to in her limited minutes. I have to give Carey credit, too. He does a nice job of keeping five fresh players on the floor and he seems way more comfortable in his role. He’s even working the refs these days, which he seemed reluctant to do last year.

Adams remains a mystery. At one point she was sitting next to me at the men’s game and I thought about just asking her what’s up. I probably should have. I can’t see any obvious injury so who knows. It could be anything from an internal health issue to even redshirting. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that her education plans have her here through the 25-26 season.
    I believe Adams is taking a medical redshirt for the injury she had last year.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

If they get to full strength, yes, IUP can be perhaps a really good team.

Unlike last year, this group has three legit bigs and ample guard play.

They have muscle, size, shooting, etc. One thing that really sticks out is they are much, much faster this year. Tom's teams were always more set shooters and on the slow side.

Henderson (new transfer) is a slick guard. She knows it, too.

I assume Adams (if she plays) will be the 6th (wo)man.

That trio of experienced post players is a handful. Centrulla also has a nice outside shot. That's fairly rare for a 6'1" player in D2.

The Edinboro transfer also debuted last night and is a great addition. You can tell she's played a lot of D2 basketball. That first game is tough as a mid-year transfer. She seemed to fit in well and is a strong defender. I realize she's still learning the offense on the fly. She probably played 18 minutes or so.
    I have to say I really like this team after seeing them in person two nights in a row. You hit on most of the reasons. They’re big and can play a slow game, but they’re also fast enough to play up tempo. They can score inside and out and all three of the bigs are dominant in their own way. Centrulla is a heck of a weapon being able to pound the boards and hit 3’s. She’s the Ethan of the women’s team. Preston is a beast and always has that look on her face like she’s going to stab someone, LOL. She plays hard. Weaver is tough to move around underneath and is a good rebounder. She can also finish, which is something this team has struggled with at times from point blank range.

The guards are also very good on both ends of the floor. Maria can play shutdown defense but also score a bunch if needed. Kiera and Rahmena are big time scorers and I like the energy they get from Janeira. She’s way more confident than she was last year. Even Benito gives them a scoring threat off the bench. I also like what I see from Jarrett, the newcomer. She’s really good on her feet and looks like a very good defender. She just needs a little more time with the team to get comfortable. I think she can score as well but she hasn’t really tried to in her limited minutes. I have to give Carey credit, too. He does a nice job of keeping five fresh players on the floor and he seems way more comfortable in his role. He’s even working the refs these days, which he seemed reluctant to do last year.

Adams remains a mystery. At one point she was sitting next to me at the men’s game and I thought about just asking her what’s up. I probably should have. I can’t see any obvious injury so who knows. It could be anything from an internal health issue to even redshirting. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that her education plans have her here through the 25-26 season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I guess we’l find out soon enough. This has the potential to be a good team that could compete for the PSAC if they can get her back and a solid contribution from the newcomer.
    If they get to full strength, yes, IUP can be perhaps a really good team.

Unlike last year, this group has three legit bigs and ample guard play.

They have muscle, size, shooting, etc. One thing that really sticks out is they are much, much faster this year. Tom's teams were always more set shooters and on the slow side.

Henderson (new transfer) is a slick guard. She knows it, too.

I assume Adams (if she plays) will be the 6th (wo)man.

That trio of experienced post players is a handful. Centrulla also has a nice outside shot. That's fairly rare for a 6'1" player in D2.

The Edinboro transfer also debuted last night and is a great addition. You can tell she's played a lot of D2 basketball. That first game is tough as a mid-year transfer. She seemed to fit in well and is a strong defender. I realize she's still learning the offense on the fly. She probably played 18 minutes or so.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

No idea. It's possible. She hasn't had a cast, boot, crutches, etc.

They need her. She's one of their best rebounders and is a strong outside shooter. Major loss thus far.
    I guess we’l find out soon enough. This has the potential to be a good team that could compete for the PSAC if they can get her back and a solid contribution from the newcomer.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Do you think it’s possible that Adams’ math doesn’t work out for her to play full seasons as a junior and senior so she took this semester off as opposed to missing a semester as a senior? Could be that she’s perfectly healthy and will suit up for the rest of the season. Otherwise her injury is a complete mystery because she looks perfectly fine.
    No idea. It's possible. She hasn't had a cast, boot, crutches, etc.

They need her. She's one of their best rebounders and is a strong outside shooter. Major loss thus far.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Jarrett started 15 games for Edinboro last year and played in the rest. So, she must be somewhat decent. Edinboro is a good program and well-coached.

The player from IHS is the latest to vanish from the roster. She is the fourth player from the team photo now gone.

Good news is Maria Cerro is returning today. She's missed the last several games and is the glue out there. No word on Gina Adams (she's missed the whole season to this point).
    Do you think it’s possible that Adams’ math doesn’t work out for her to play full seasons as a junior and senior so she took this semester off as opposed to missing a semester as a senior? Could be that she’s perfectly healthy and will suit up for the rest of the season. Otherwise her injury is a complete mystery because she looks perfectly fine.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP added mid-year transfer Macie Jarrett from Edinboro and Maysville H.S. where she was a star in Ohio. There’s not much out there about her other than she was a big time scorer in H.S. but averaged less than 4 ppg at Boro. It doesn’t look like she appeared in any games there this year so who knows what was going on. She has two years of eligibility. If she hasn’t been playing at all I can’t imagine she’s going to come in and have an immediate impact. As thin as IUP is though it’s a body and a player that has at least played a fair amount of basketball at this level.
    Jarrett started 15 games for Edinboro last year and played in the rest. So, she must be somewhat decent. Edinboro is a good program and well-coached.

The player from IHS is the latest to vanish from the roster. She is the fourth player from the team photo now gone.

Good news is Maria Cerro is returning today. She's missed the last several games and is the glue out there. No word on Gina Adams (she's missed the whole season to this point).

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    IUP added mid-year transfer Macie Jarrett from Edinboro and Maysville H.S. where she was a star in Ohio. There’s not much out there about her other than she was a big time scorer in H.S. but averaged less than 4 ppg at Boro. It doesn’t look like she appeared in any games there this year so who knows what was going on. She has two years of eligibility. If she hasn’t been playing at all I can’t imagine she’s going to come in and have an immediate impact. As thin as IUP is though it’s a body and a player that has at least played a fair amount of basketball at this level.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Sounds like they dodged a major bullet ... Maria Cerro is set to return in IUP's next game.

No word yet on Gina Adams.
    That team needs a boost.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Sounds like they dodged a major bullet ... Maria Cerro is set to return in IUP's next game.

No word yet on Gina Adams.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X