X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Now that it's over, the obvious question becomes the head coach.

As far as D2 women's basketball jobs go, it's going to be an attractive opening. Yes, it's always going to be third fiddle at IUP behind men's basketball and football. But, nonetheless, it's a good job with top-notch facilities, a strong following/history, etc. I'd also assume IUP can offer a better salary and resources than most other D2 programs.

Will they entertain retaining interim coach Craig Carey? He did go 18-10 after taking over very late in the summer. He also should have won at least 4 games he lost because his team couldn't make layups. If I was betting, they will not give him the full-time job. The women's program is very different from the men's. The following is different. Their core boosters are different. That crowd loves a Tom type -- shaking hands, kissing babies, etc. Carey was not a social coach. He was put in to a rough spot with no depth and no time to recruit -- and most schools wouldn't call 18-10 a total disaster. But, at IUP, 18-10 is a total disaster.

Now, they'll get candidates we've never heard of before when they open the job. Some will be very good.

That said, looking around the sitting head coaches in the PSAC ... could they perhaps lure one of them to Indiana?

Wish list (I don't know one coach in the East so they are not included):

Mark Katarski (Seton Hill) - Odds of getting him out of Greensburg aren't good. His program is the main attraction and he's very embedded in the culture/community there. But, IUP would likely be a huge increase in pay (perhaps double). He would be like hiring the younger version of Tom -- very similar styles, schemes, recruiting, etc.

Mike Drahos (UPJ) - He was rumored to be interested in the job last summer. He had a very successful stint as an assistant at West Liberty prior to taking over a total rebuild in Johnstown. UPJ has slowly gotten stronger each year under his watch -- and he took 2 of 3 from IUP this year. He's a big believer in the three-point shot and his offense is built around it.

Callie Wheeler (Edinboro) - This is likely wishful thinking -- but, with the inevitable disaster that is Penn West, who knows.

What will the new coach inherit? Four starters and the 6th player return. The bench is pretty thin. In case anybody didn't notice, one of the Robert Morris girls quit the team several weeks ago.
    I didn't even notice she quit. So she burned a year and ran away after being active for what, about 5- weeks?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Now that it's over, the obvious question becomes the head coach.

As far as D2 women's basketball jobs go, it's going to be an attractive opening. Yes, it's always going to be third fiddle at IUP behind men's basketball and football. But, nonetheless, it's a good job with top-notch facilities, a strong following/history, etc. I'd also assume IUP can offer a better salary and resources than most other D2 programs.

Will they entertain retaining interim coach Craig Carey? He did go 18-10 after taking over very late in the summer. He also should have won at least 4 games he lost because his team couldn't make layups. If I was betting, they will not give him the full-time job. The women's program is very different from the men's. The following is different. Their core boosters are different. That crowd loves a Tom type -- shaking hands, kissing babies, etc. Carey was not a social coach. He was put in to a rough spot with no depth and no time to recruit -- and most schools wouldn't call 18-10 a total disaster. But, at IUP, 18-10 is a total disaster.

Now, they'll get candidates we've never heard of before when they open the job. Some will be very good.

That said, looking around the sitting head coaches in the PSAC ... could they perhaps lure one of them to Indiana?

Wish list (I don't know one coach in the East so they are not included):

Mark Katarski (Seton Hill) - Odds of getting him out of Greensburg aren't good. His program is the main attraction and he's very embedded in the culture/community there. But, IUP would likely be a huge increase in pay (perhaps double). He would be like hiring the younger version of Tom -- very similar styles, schemes, recruiting, etc.

Mike Drahos (UPJ) - He was rumored to be interested in the job last summer. He had a very successful stint as an assistant at West Liberty prior to taking over a total rebuild in Johnstown. UPJ has slowly gotten stronger each year under his watch -- and he took 2 of 3 from IUP this year. He's a big believer in the three-point shot and his offense is built around it.

Callie Wheeler (Edinboro) - This is likely wishful thinking -- but, with the inevitable disaster that is Penn West, who knows.

What will the new coach inherit? Four starters and the 6th player return. The bench is pretty thin. In case anybody didn't notice, one of the Robert Morris girls quit the team several weeks ago.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Crimson Hawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post

Officiating all year has been bad, but I can’t say it’s favoring one team or another. Has the game gotten too fast for these officials? No one is asking for perfection, but this is getting ridiculous. Bad calls on both sides, so while that was a crap call, it went both ways. Not sure what the answer is, but league wide there is an issue.
    PSAC Football has the worst officiating you will ever see!! FACT!! I truly do not understands how officials can be as bad as they are in the PSAC, it’s pathetic!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

What a call in that moment.

But ... If IUP didn't miss its usual 12 layups it would have never come to that.

I assume their season is over.
    I can’t believe in any way they make the regional.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I just saw the video of the call at the end of the game… yikes! How does that ref make that call?
    What a call in that moment.

But ... If IUP didn't miss its usual 12 layups it would have never come to that.

I assume their season is over.

Leave a comment:

• IUsuallyPonder
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I just saw the video of the call at the end of the game… yikes! How does that ref make that call?
    Officiating all year has been bad, but I can’t say it’s favoring one team or another. Has the game gotten too fast for these officials? No one is asking for perfection, but this is getting ridiculous. Bad calls on both sides, so while that was a crap call, it went both ways. Not sure what the answer is, but league wide there is an issue.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I'd assume tonight's latest debacle is the end of the road.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
    The train wreck is finally over - hopefully that’s the last game we see that “coach” on the bench. If I have to watch another game with his hands at his head, I’m going to lose it.
    I'd assume tonight's latest debacle is the end of the road.

Leave a comment:

• IUsuallyPonder
    replied
    The train wreck is finally over - hopefully that’s the last game we see that “coach” on the bench. If I have to watch another game with his hands at his head, I’m going to lose it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Women lose at home.

That's the whole comment.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

For the most part, I’m starting to think the PSAC is essentially a group of bad women’s teams this year. If any of them makes a run I’ll be shocked. Gannon looked pretty good in person, but they’ve also had some puzzling losses.
    Well, the fact there is just one team in each division locked in to a seed heading in to the final day of the regular season probably goes along with your theory.

From what I've seen, Gannon would be the betting favorite among the West teams.

Beyond them, it's just a hodgepodge of pretty average, similar teams. Teams 2-8 in the current standings have all (for the most part) beaten each other throughout the season. They've all had their magic moments. They've all looked terrible in other moments.

Amazingly, if IUP wins tomorrow they'll get a bye. However, after beating Cal earlier this year, I fully suspect the Vulcans to smack them tomorrow. We'll get a good view of Carey's coaching abilities. He's had a week to prepare for this trip to Angelo's Dome. The winner gets Monday off and a home game Wednesday. The loser is hosting a game Monday night. There's a good chance IUP and Cal play each other again on Wednesday.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Rock naturally loses at home to Clarion tonight.
    For the most part, I’m starting to think the PSAC is essentially a group of bad women’s teams this year. If any of them makes a run I’ll be shocked. Gannon looked pretty good in person, but they’ve also had some puzzling losses.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Rock naturally loses at home to Clarion tonight.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

One team wanted to be there yesterday. One didn't.
    This is the part that bothered me the most. It’s one thing if you’re just not very good, but something all together different when the effort is poor and you lose to a team that really isn’t better. How many offensive rebounds did SRU grab? How many of them were by one of the smallest players on the court? Offensive boards are about desire and effort. On top of that, glaring at the refs every time they didn’t get a call. It was obvious the crew was going to let them play from the start. Too much whining and not enough effort. Just bad, bad, bad. Group effort.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Yep, they’re bad. How do you come out flat on Senior Day? Beyond being flat, they can’t hit a layup and most inexcusable of all, they’re being out worked. Slippery Rock came to win today and is embarrassing IUP on their own floor.
    We've said it several times but IUP may be the worst layup shooting team in history. They turn the ball over at least 7 times every game trying that ridiculous dump-in to the low post. It's ridiculous at this stage because they either throw it out of bounce, they drop the pass and turn it over, or they just miss the wide open layup. Yet, they do it game after game.

They are so easy to scout. Take away the trey, smother Cerro and game over. That's the formula. SRU had them so scouted yesterday it was sick. The final score ended up somewhat close but IUP got smacked for 35 of the 40 minutes.

One team wanted to be there yesterday. One didn't.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X