Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WJU MBB HC

If it was Peckinpaugh what can really be done? He is now a high school coach and WU probably closing after this year.

Comment

• Don't know if it's significant but with most '19-'20 rosters being posted, WU still isn't there. Can anyone familiar with traditions in the MEC tell me if this is normal timing, late or somewhere in between ?

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        Don't know if it's significant but with most '19-'20 rosters being posted, WU still isn't there. Can anyone familiar with traditions in the MEC tell me if this is normal timing, late or somewhere in between ?
        Don't know. But there is a team photo on the official WU Basketball twitter account from their first day of "unofficial practice" that shows 21 individuals.

Pretty clear that weather they post a roster on-line or not, there is a basketball team and it will play this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Don't know. But there is a team photo on the official WU Basketball twitter account from their first day of "unofficial practice" that shows 21 individuals.

Pretty clear that weather they post a roster on-line or not, there is a basketball team and it will play this year.
          Alright, thank you. Quite a large roster if all 21 make the team.

Comment

• I think a max of 15 can dress for a game.
            Pure speculation, but I wonder if walk-ons will be an abnormally high percentage, which would result in an extended tyrout period to fill out the roster.
            They have to raise $5m by May 2020, according to their campaign on their web site so the financial situation might have affected the number of scholarships and/or the interest by prospective recruits, causing them to rely on walk-ons.

Comment

• I would imagine that all but a very select few of athletes at WU will be non-scholly for at least the next few years. I speculate the only scholly $'s will be that which the donor specifically earmarks for a scolly in a particular sport.

WJU had a history of having 20+ players "on the roster" so there would be nothing outside of the ordanary about having 21 players listed. But as u point out, only 15 can dress.

I know some will think im crazy bur I have actually donated $10 to the WU cause. Dont want to see the WLU/WU rivalry go away!
              Last edited by boatcapt; 10-02-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I would imagine that all but a very select few of athletes at WU will be non-scholly for at least the next few years. I speculate the only scholly $'s will be that which the donor specifically earmarks for a scolly in a particular sport.

WJU had a history of having 20+ players "on the roster" so there would be nothing outside of the ordanary about having 21 players listed. But as u point out, only 15 can dress.

I know some will think im crazy bur I have actually donated $10 to the WU cause. Dont want to see the WLU/WU rivalry go away!
                Sadly that rivalry might go away pretty much like the IUP-CAL U rivalry has because of one team being non-competitive. Given enough time it may still come back.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  Sadly that rivalry might go away pretty much like the IUP-CAL U rivalry has because of one team being non-competitive. Given enough time it may still come back.
                  Going to be a tough time for WU athletics probably for a few years. Until they get their financial house in order, schollys are probably going to be hard to come by and that will probably have a negative effect on the on-field/court quality. Hopefully some day the WLU/WU rivalry will be good again.

Comment

• Going to be some real ugly scores down there this year ...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Going to be some real ugly scores down there this year ...
                      Possibly right. Buuuutttt...I recall much the same thing being said/implied at this time last year...Brand new coach with very little track record...lots of player defections...not a lot of information on they guys the new coach was bring in...etc. They did start slow losing their first 10 in a row and 14 of their first 15 games. But the new unproven coach was able to mold this group of rejects that pretty much no one wanted and they finished the season going 8-7 over their last 15 games.

Comment

Possibly right. Buuuutttt...I recall much the same thing being said/implied at this time last year...Brand new coach with very little track record...lots of player defections...not a lot of information on they guys the new coach was bring in...etc. They did start slow losing their first 10 in a row and 14 of their first 15 games. But the new unproven coach was able to mold this group of rejects that pretty much no one wanted and they finished the season going 8-7 over their last 15 games.
                        Good points boat. One silver lining for a late recruiting start is the lack of competition for remaining players. Some players may have been waiting on d1 offer that never came. Others may have transferred and could not play in first semester to get evaluated ( Tariq Woody who let team to state semi finals and was committed to juco). I think cannady might have signed with sancomb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Good points boat. One silver lining for a late recruiting start is the lack of competition for remaining players. Some players may have been waiting on d1 offer that never came. Others may have transferred and could not play in first semester to get evaluated ( Tariq Woody who let team to state semi finals and was committed to juco). I think cannady might have signed with sancomb.
                          Every year there are some pretty good players that get left behind for the reasons you site and quite a few additional ones. Basically they will take any offer from anyone. Hard part for a brand new coach is finding these guys although the internet and the "recruiting services" make that much easier than it used to be. Down side is you basically get what you get...if the only players you can find are 6 foot PG's and you want to run a low post offense with a traditional big, well, you better be willing to adapt to what you have!!

Comment

• FYI - former president of wheeling u files suit saying he was misled on financial situation. New president named.
                            http://wvmetronews.com/2019/10/07/wh...t-institution/

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                              FYI - former president of wheeling u files suit saying he was misled on financial situation. New president named.
                              http://wvmetronews.com/2019/10/07/wh...t-institution/
                              Maybe the new president can get the MBB and WBB rosters released.

Comment

• FYI more details on lawsuit by former president from inside higher ed. If his allegations are true, this story could become quite sordid.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...nt-hit-lawsuit

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X