Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Congrats on the big win, Battlers! That was a big one for sure.

Your stars (KJ & Knott) did their thing, but what I found impressive was how much the guys around them really stepped up. Rice & T. Walker had really nice games to go alongside Knott & KJ. This tourney is turning out to be a really nice cap on what was sometimes and up and down year for Dye and guys.
    Thank you for the kind words. Go Battlers!

???
    Last edited by crixus; 03-04-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

MEC Semi Final - Halftime Score

Charleston 34 Alderson Broaddus 24

Comment

The winner of the Charleston vs Alderson Broaddus game will play West Liberty in the MEC Championship game tomorrow. West Liberty beat Fairmont State in the other Semi-Final game.

Scrub Kudos to your Hilltoppers.
        Last edited by crixus; 03-05-2022, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Arrrgh, turnovers drive me crazy. Charleston wins 69-57 and will play West Liberty in the MEC Final.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
            The winner of the Charleston vs Alderson Broaddus game will play West Liberty in the MEC Championship game tomorrow. West Liberty beat Fairmont State in the other Semi-Final game.

Scrub Kudos to your Hilltoppers.
            Thanks, crixus. It was fun to watch your Battlers battle in this tournament. Even late in that game against Charleston, I kept thinking maybe the Battlers had one more run in them. They showed a lot of fight, and as long as Coach Dye can keep the young guys out of the portal, there's lots to build around going forward.

Comment

I went to the game. The first half was bad in a lot of aspects. This was more than a winnable game. Watching it in person, we were constantly switching on defense. We constantly got caught with KJ or Knott or Tahleik on McManus. It was like 7 or 8 times this happened. I don't understand that and why it was happening. I understand switching guard-to-guard, but you have to do a hedge and get back on guard to forward. You can't allow him to establish position on the low block.

I am sure Grayson is a good kid and all, but the fact in five years that he hasn't developed an ability to hit a 10-12 footer shows as UC let him shoot whenever he wanted. He had 0 points and 4 boards in 34 minutes. The start of the second half did us in. 4 of the first 5 shots were taken by Collins and Grayson with plenty of time left on the shot clock. Those aren't the guys that we needed to shoot the ball. Talheik Walker has developed a very nice tear-drop in the lane. That two-man game with Tahleik going downhill and Small following him worked well. KJ passed on too many outside shots. Why did Knott sit the last 15 minutes of the game? I would rather have had Knott in there over Grayson.

I am glad we made a run in the tournament. But we have to think beyond a 7 seed. We do have some nice pieces in place....Knott, Rice, T Walker, Collins are pretty good. They say the Sirr Hughes kid who played HS ball with Knott and sat out this year is pretty good. But losing KJ and Smalls are losses.

We need to get a 6'4" small forward type from the JUCO ranks that is athletic, can score outside and cutting, and defend. Grayson's stats are so misleading. He disappeared offensively any time we played a quality team. This will be a key year in recruiting. I hope we don't lose guys to the portal. I worry there as it is starting to trend. We need a couple of bigs and another guard.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                I went to the game.
                You weren't the superfan who was standing and pacing back and forth in the row a few rows up from the AB bench, were you?

Comment

No, that is Knott's dad who does that about every game.

I sat across the court up high from where he was. I did tell him at halftime that I appreciated his enthusiasm and that I would buy him a beer across the street after the game if we came back and won.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                    No, that is Knott's dad who does that about every game.

I sat across the court up high from where he was. I did tell him at halftime that I appreciated his enthusiasm and that I would buy him a beer across the street after the game if we came back and won.
                    I had a sneaking suspicion he might have been a player's dad--he was about the right age and intensity level to be a father watching his son play!

Comment

• Students are back this week from spring break, and.....

Zach Simpkins enters the portal. He averaged 7.6 ppg....good shooter....not real athletic. I hate to see him go. He had some real good games this year. He had some good games against good teams. Good kid! I hope Dye has a plan.

He may see he couldn't play ahead of Rice, Knott and Hughes. Of course, we don't know who else is leaving which is the problem right now. I would hate to lose any of those or Mack for that matter. After coming back from spring break and thinking over things, I am afraid to look daily at the portal.

On the other hand, Glenville has John Williams, Tommy Williams & Seth Fallon in the portal. We offered the last two coming out of high school. Tommy Williams is a player. Unfortunately, I see him either going to Concord or UC. Fallon isn't as good. Dye needs to learn how to use the portal.....we need an upgrade in talent and depth if we are ever going to make a move. With KJ Walker graduating, the last of Zimmerman's players that he recruited that Dye had are gone....Walker, Shriver, Bocook, Miller-Cardwell, etc.

Comment

• Tre Baumgardner out of Columbus, OH and played for Ashland has entered the transfer portal. He has battled injuries. But Greg Zimmerman recruited him hard out of high school. I was up on campus when Tre visited there. This would have to be one we reach out to.

In a year's time, we have lost more to the portal than what we have gained......it isn't even close. We need to change that narrative this spring.

Comment

• Marquez Cooper is in the portal. He averaged 21.4 ppg this past year at Bluefield State. He is likely heading south but make him tell you no. He scored 25 points, grabbed 7 boards and dished out 4 assists against us earlier in the year. He is a 6'5" grad transfer.

Comment

• Vincent Smalls has entered the portal as a grad transfer. This stinks! Forget his stat averages for the season......he scored in double-figures in 14 of the last 16 games including several double-double games. What is going on?!?!!

I am glad the guy is getting his degree, but we keep losing more to the portal than what we gain.....not even close. And I am tired of hearing this "we made it to the semi-finals". So what? That used to be the norm. We still had a losing record....AGAIN!

Comment

• Fonz Hale has entered the portal. He played at Salem last season where he averaged 22 ppg. He dropped 33 points on us at Rex Pyles.

He is a Cleveland, OH native.

Comment

• Huge congrats to our men's coaching staff on a big commitment today!

Rye Gadd, out of Webster County HS, committed to ABU today over 8 other schools that had offered. We offered Gadd last season. He averaged 28 ppg this past season. He had a 41 point & 8 rebound effort in his last game in the regional championship loss to Greater Beckley Christian which finished as the state runner up. He scored over 1600+ points for his career. Kid has serious bounce.

If we don't lose Knott and others to portal, then this is a huge compliment who can come in right away and contribute.

We have also offered Sean Paige (6'8" ; 235) post player out of Anderson, Indiana. He visited campus this past week.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X