Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AB Battlers Men's Basketball 2021-2022

The 2021-2022 season of Alderson Broaddus MBB begins November 12th.

https://gobattlers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Go Battlers!
    Last edited by crixus; 09-27-2021, 09:57 PM.

Two games with Bluefield State might be intriguing. Devin Hoehn is bringing wlu style there.

Comment

There are a lot of winnable games on that schedule. I have zero clue how well we will do. Too man questions. Honestly, I am not too optimistic. I hope I can be proven wrong.

They will need Fraser Larocque to step in and produce immediately. He is 6'8", has hops, looks like he can really run the floor for a guy that size and does show some skills on film. IF, and I emphasize if, he can produce at a good level, then you can have success in the MEC if you have an athletic big that can produce. He is a little older freshman in that he prepped. Vincent Smalls needs to develop a better motor than he had last year. He is a big body forward with some skills. But he disappears way too much. No excuse when you are a senior to have that happen this season.

Zach Simpkins showed some decent stuff last year. He will need to step up much more this season. Eman and Collins also have to produce from the wing and produce immediately. You don't bring in JUCOs to sit on the pine. KJ Walker has shown the past several seasons he will get his teammates the ball. Rice and Walker need to get much better offensively. I don't know much about Hughes and Knott other than they were on an Ohio state championship team last year.

A 6th seed in the MEC would be good for this team. Any thing 9th seed or lower is unacceptable. That would mean we would have yet another losing season and would be losing to the D&Es, Frostburgs and Wesleyans. PSAC teams didn't even play last season and Seton Hill and Slippery Rock are hardly world beaters in that league. Ohio Dominican was 5-13 in the G-MAC last year with losses to Salem (at home), Trevecca and yes, Ohio Valley. Bluefield State and Salem should be winnable games. We have been 15-30 in the past two seasons. This schedule is made to have success.

The women's team brought in some recruits. Granted we have an almost entire freshman roster, but I am anxious to see where that team is at by the end of the season. The ole' "you can't recruit kids to come to Philippi" didn't seem to apply to the women's coach.

BTW, Rodney "Moose" Myles died a few weeks ago in South Carolina. Moose graduated from AB in 1990. He was on the 1989-90 team that won the WVIAC tournament and advanced to Kansas City in the NAIA nationals. He was a 6'10" 300 pound transfer from Radford. Moose was a native of St Albans, WV. He has been battling diabetes the past several years as he had some toes amputated. I knew Moose personally and especially at my time at Alderson-Broaddus as student-athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
        There are a lot of winnable games on that schedule. I have zero clue how well we will do. Too man questions. Honestly, I am not too optimistic. I hope I can be proven wrong.

They will need Fraser Larocque to step in and produce immediately. He is 6'8", has hops, looks like he can really run the floor for a guy that size and does show some skills on film. IF, and I emphasize if, he can produce at a good level, then you can have success in the MEC if you have an athletic big that can produce. He is a little older freshman in that he prepped. Vincent Smalls needs to develop a better motor than he had last year. He is a big body forward with some skills. But he disappears way too much. No excuse when you are a senior to have that happen this season.

Zach Simpkins showed some decent stuff last year. He will need to step up much more this season. Eman and Collins also have to produce from the wing and produce immediately. You don't bring in JUCOs to sit on the pine. KJ Walker has shown the past several seasons he will get his teammates the ball. Rice and Walker need to get much better offensively. I don't know much about Hughes and Knott other than they were on an Ohio state championship team last year.

A 6th seed in the MEC would be good for this team. Any thing 9th seed or lower is unacceptable. That would mean we would have yet another losing season and would be losing to the D&Es, Frostburgs and Wesleyans. PSAC teams didn't even play last season and Seton Hill and Slippery Rock are hardly world beaters in that league. Ohio Dominican was 5-13 in the G-MAC last year with losses to Salem (at home), Trevecca and yes, Ohio Valley. Bluefield State and Salem should be winnable games. We have been 15-30 in the past two seasons. This schedule is made to have success.

The women's team brought in some recruits. Granted we have an almost entire freshman roster, but I am anxious to see where that team is at by the end of the season. The ole' "you can't recruit kids to come to Philippi" didn't seem to apply to the women's coach.

BTW, Rodney "Moose" Myles died a few weeks ago in South Carolina. Moose graduated from AB in 199eurv0. He was on the 1989-90 team that won the WVIAC tournament and advanced to Kansas City in the NAIA nationals. He was a 6'10" 300 pound transfer from Radford. Moose was a native of St Albans, WV. He has been battling diabetes the past several years as he had some toes amputated. I knew Moose personally and especially at my time at Alderson-Broaddus as student-athletes.
        Thanks for the detailed info. Can they replace the offensive production they lost? Imho they had some individual talent, but their team assist to turnover ratio needs to improve against the better teams. Clearly not an insurmountable task.

Comment

No, I don't think they can replace Shriver and Miller-Caldwell. Those were big blows. I believe had those two returned, and I am not coulda-woulda, then I think we have a top five team in the conference. But of course, they went elsewhere. I also never understood why Justin Sylver sat on the bench so much last season. He produced when he was given minutes, especially against a Fairmont State and such. But we have Grayson coming back for a 5th-year: a guy who had twice as many minutes as Sylver, less production, constantly turning the ball over, getting fouls at terrible times (like and 1s) and getting silly technical fouls. Sylver may start at SIAC member Lane now. While I don't see every thing that goes on from day to day (which is true), I never see much out of Grayson on the floor.

Men's basketball needs to win this season. The OOC schedule is nowhere near as tough as Zimmerman used to schedule. Our athletic department looks bad and we need basketball (which is funded quite well) to have a winning season. Football is completely abysmal....just horrible....and women's volleyball and women's soccer have yet to win a conference game this year. Men's soccer competes in a rebuilding year and will finish mid-pack in the MEC this year ( with some nationally rated programs like D&E and UC in conference). So no complaints ever with men's soccer. But football, women's soccer and women's volleyball are a combined 0-17-1 in the MEC so far. It is also becoming very common that women's volleyball and women's soccer do poorly in-conference every year. It was that way in the G-MAC and it appears to be that way now. 10 years ago those programs competed for conference championships and women's soccer went to the NCAA tournament. Now it is the same ole, same ole.

Comment

Found this podcast of coaches interviews. I haven't listened yet, but this particular link has an interview with Coach Dye:

https://www.spreaker.com/user/131889...te-episode-_79

Comment

AB got drilled the other night by WVU Tech down in Beckley. Granted it was a scrimmage for AB and a real game for Tech. And yes, AB played it like a scrimmage by playing different rotations. But that is the worst I have ever seen an AB men's basketball team look. The second half was down-right pathetic.

I watched Marshall beat D&E 113-72 or something like that this afternoon on ESPN+. D&E did okay at first. Busby, Rolle and Henderson are pretty good for the Senators. Busby had a real nice game. But some of their other players had tons of unforced turnovers....throwing the ball at teammates feet without a defender nearby, dribbling way too much, etc. It is hard to tell in this game because Marshall really didn't take it too serious.

AB looks like they will finish 11th....thank you WV Wesleyan....and I would say D&E will finish possibly 6th or 7th among Wheeling, Frostburg, Notre Dame, Concord. D&E is much better than AB right now but that is not saying much. The Courtney Walton kid who played at Beckley Woodrow Wilson and a good Potomac State JUCO is a nice signee for D&E. The other Walton kid from Beckley I think was a 2nd-team all-conference last year. If they don't have to rely too much on their bench, then they got a shot at a nice season. D&E's coach has done a nice job recruiting up there. Unfortunately they looked like they could only go 6-deep even though they had 13 kids on the bench.
              Last edited by JDonAB92; 10-31-2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

BTW, two freshman didn't play the other night. Fraser Larocque and Sirr Hughes. I don't know what is going on there. I sure as hell hope this isn't some type of Clearinghouse issue.

Comment

The women's team wrapped up exhibition play on the road by defeating Ohio Valley 99-50. Sophomore Iyahnna Williams led the way with 18 points. Freshman Emma Pavalek had 12 points. Junior transfer Hannah Taylor had 12 points. Freshman Jaya Nelson had 11 points. Freshman Autumn Lewis had 10 points. 6'0" freshman Nyshae Weaver had 9 points and 14 rebounds. Every one scored in this game.

Granted it was Ohio Valley, but two years ago we only beat this team by 4 point and 10 points. Women open up play on Monday, November 15th at Salem. They open up MEC play on Saturday, November 20 at West Lib.

Comment

2021 Men's Basketball Preseason Poll
                    1. West Liberty -- 116 (6)
                    2. Charleston -- 110 (4)
                    3. Fairmont State -- 105 (2)
                    4. West Virginia State -- 86
                    5. Glenville State -- 85
                    6. Concord -- 60
                    7. Wheeling -- 55
                    8. Notre Dame -- 52
                    9. Davis & Elkins -- 45
                    10. Alderson Broaddus -- 41
                    11. Frostburg State -- 26
                    12. West Virginia Wesleyan -- 11

Comment

We open the season Friday night in the MEC-PSAC crossover up at Slippery Rock.

We open with Seton Hill which was picked 9th (dead last) in the PSAC West poll. Slippery Rock is the following night and they were picked 6th in the PSAC West poll. So we basically open up with one of the worst teams in the PSAC if not the worst. This will likely be an indicator of how things will be for the season.

Comment

We open the season Friday night in the MEC-PSAC crossover up at Slippery Rock.

We open with Seton Hill which was picked 9th (dead last) in the PSAC West poll. Slippery Rock is the following night and they were picked 6th in the PSAC West poll. So we basically open up with one of the worst teams in the PSAC if not the worst. This will likely be an indicator of how things will be for the season.

SH was picked last -- but, keep in mind, this is a very strong PSAC West this year. Very deep.

SH has two good big guys (7'0 and 6'10") and one really good Guard (6'5" Drew Green). They were all three freshmen in 2019. Green could play for any team in the Region. The two bigs were skinny freshmen in 2019. Curious to see how they've developed. Both can play. If they bulked up they could cause some problems.

Point is, while picked last, they may not be a pushover -- or, not a typical team picked last.

Hard to say about Slippery Rock. They had a program image change after Kevin Reynolds was fired. They got blown out of the arena at Iowa (as most D2 teams would) but also played out there minus a couple guys. No idea why. One of them was their star forward.

Comment

Alderson Broaddus wins 66-54 over Seton Hill. It is a win.

Sophomore Eman Eman had 18 points, senior KJ Walker had 13 points and sophomore Coryn Rice had 11 points.

Last edited by JDonAB92; 11-13-2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Alderson Broaddus wins 66-54 over Seton Hill. It is a win.

Sophomore Eman Eman had 18 points, freshman Sirr Hughes had 13 points and sophomore Coryn Rice had 11 points.

I like Eman and Hughes. If we can keep things together and add a few pieces, we really could have a good team the season after next.

KJ Walker did not play. That is a little concerning for this season. We are going to need him.
                            I'm from the any win's a good win camp. Good job Battlers!

Comment

Slippery Rock leads 34-31 at the half. We led almost the entire first half. But the lack of fire power on the roster took a 27-21 lead to a 31-27 deficit. Just not enough weapons and we fall back to the form of the last two seasons. One thing we still do is have unforced turnovers. This is not a good team we are playing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X