Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

You can see the influence of Smith on Glenville but you can only do so much as an assistant coach. While they are better, they are still largely run-and-gun with little defense. Another factor holding them back is depth...Last season WLU had 9 players play in every game while Glenville had 5. When you try to run the WLU style without depth, YOU are the one who has the "blackout!"
    Absolutely no basis for a comment except for vague memory of the VULCANS visit to GSU in Dec '19. Remember that the W (83-72) was much easier than I thought it would be with CAL getting out to double digit lead midway through the first half and simply maintaining it between 7-16 points. 3pt shooting by both teams was awful ( C 3-15/G 9-38) and the exact point differential was from the line (C 14-17/ G 3-7). The PIONEERS played 8 of their 9 from 14-38 minutes while CAL only played 6 from 17 to 3 with 40. As has been said of DS if you're not #1-7 on the depth chart you really don't need a shower postgame. This year's game at UC will be the fourth straight in WV in the series which CAL leads 5-0.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Absolutely no basis for a comment except for vague memory of the VULCANS visit to GSU in Dec '19. Remember that the W (83-72) was much easier than I thought it would rbe with CAL getting out to double digit lead midway through the first half and simply maintaining it between 7-16 points. 3pt shooting by both teams was awful ( C 3-15/G 9-38) and the exact point differential was from the line (C 14-17/ G 3-7). The PIONEERS played 8 of their 9 from 14-38 minutes while CAL only played 6 from 17 to 3 with 40. As has been said of DS if you're not #1-7 on the depth chart you really don't need a shower postgame. This year's game at UC will be the fourth straight in WV in the series which CAL leads 5-0.
      Good points. In mec tourney semi, WLU was in control. Then Glenville went insane, hitting nearly every contested 3 late in the game, tieing the game with 5 seconds left. Brilliant play call got the ball to Robinson III, who streaked up court and passed to McKinney, who calmly pump faked and then sank a 3 pt shot as time expired before the ball passed through the net. Video went viral.

The point is that Glenville has shooters and they can be dangerous when hitting threes. They have one great scoring guard who is all region level. DS teams play good defense, so I expect a vulcan win.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Good points. In mec tourney semi, WLU was in control. Then Glenville went insane, hitting nearly every contested 3 late in the game, tieing the game with 5 seconds left. Brilliant play call got the ball to Robinson III, who streaked up court and passed to McKinney, who calmly pump faked and then sank a 3 pt shot as time expired before the ball passed through the net. Video went viral.

The point is that Glenville has shooters and they can be dangerous when hitting threes. They have one great scoring guard who is all region level. DS teams play good defense, so I expect a vulcan win.
        The orig point was that Glenville is not one one of the top three teams in the MEC. They are middle of the pack. They can do some damage when they are running perfectly (lot's of teams can say the same thing), but too often, things do not run perfectly. I'd describe them as "streaky"...they can burn the bottom of the nets out for four or five minutes then like flipping a switch, for the next four or five minutes it seems like their bucket has a cover on it. A few good things, and a few bad things...sort of the definition of middle of the pack.

Comment

The orig point was that Glenville is not one one of the top three teams in the MEC. They are middle of the pack. They can do some damage when they are running perfectly (lot's of teams can say the same thing), but too often, things do not run perfectly. I'd describe them as "streaky"...they can burn the bottom of the nets out for four or five minutes then like flipping a switch, for the next four or five minutes it seems like their bucket has a cover on it. A few good things, and a few bad things...sort of the definition of middle of the pack.
          Well the four CAL teams that played GSU in '09, '10, '17 and '19 certainly were, at best, middle of the pack. But with 3 different coaches and 3of4 games in WV, they prevailed. When I know who's on the team, I'll venture a guess about '21.

Comment

Good points. They seem to be trying to gain entrance to the upper echelon of the mec. They won at wv state and defeated charleston (#2 region seed). As a result, they were top 25 and undefeated when they played at wlu on feb1, when wlu schooled them by wearing them out. Takes a while to get the players who truly buy into the effort that is required to play like wlu.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Good points. They seem to be trying to gain entrance to the upper echelon of the mec. They won at wv state and defeated charleston (#2 region seed). As a result, they were top 25 and undefeated when they played at wlu on feb1, when wlu schooled them by wearing them out. Takes a while to get the players who truly buy into the effort that is required to play like wlu.
              Yea...As with a couple of teams, they are trying to join the upper echelon of the MEC. They seem to be trying to implament the WLU Style piece meal and in spurts which is holding them back. Doesn't seem to me that the WLU Style is somthing that can be successful in parts...either do it all or don't do it. It's such an integrated style that if you don't impliment one part of it, it fails.

In the words of Master Yoda when he was talking to Master Crutch about implimenting the WLU Style..."Do or do not...There is no try."

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/CAL_U_mbb...339398/photo/1

Comment

Now who did DS lose and find....'21-'22 CAL U VULCANS MBB ROSTER

https://calvulcans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

2-Seniors.
                  2-Juniors
                  2-Sophs
                  12-----COUNT EM--- 12 FRESHMEN....sure hope several here have game, because playing time will be available !!!

Last edited by CALUPA69; 10-25-2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Of 5 upper class returnees, minus Boswell. 105 minutes out of 200 are accounted for. Giving Boswell 35 mpg means the 12 Frosh will be competing for a lot of available minutes. Phil Alston will pick up a lot of time from last year's 8 mpg as a primary inside option. Tyler Berry will be the go-to backup for both Pegram and Boswell as he apprentices to take over in '22-'23. Minutes probably go up to 15-20. 6'7" Keith Palek and 6'7" Gabe Jimerson should pick up 20+ mpg if the team is going to have any frontcourt at all. The better rebounder/defender will likely get the most.

Comment

Several interesting notes on DS latest freshman class of VULCANS MBB. The fact that he was able to sign 12 players from a wide Mid-Atlantic area either speaks to connections he made while at WJU or an amazing amount of mileage on his and Steve Bridgeman's cars. Probably the former. As mentioned earlier he still gets a lot of players from elite HS/PREPS. 7-12 in this group come from schools in MD, VA, WV, NJ, PA and FL. The one from WV is curious because JC Maxwell graduated from Wheeling Central Catholic whose Principal is....Mrs Sancomb.
                      Other than the usual HUDL videos, I've no sense of what this newbie dozen brings to the table, but the early over/under for how many will be on the '22-'23 roster is 5. Time will tell.

Comment

@CALU_mbb is picked for #4 in the PSAC West. This year will be a huge challenge for Danny Sancomb with a crazy young team and one returning senior, Jermaine Hall, out with an achilles issue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H92JR52GeEw
                        Last edited by CALUPA69; 10-28-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                          @CALU_wbb chosen to finish 3rd in PSAC West. Coach Jess seems excited to get back at it.
                          Where can I bet in Vegas Jess won't finish 3rd?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Where can I bet in Vegas Jess won't finish 3rd?
                            She and her team enjoy being underestimated. Her intense emphasis on defense will certainly keep her in the running for the top, but she will definitely need a reliable lead scorer which the '19-'20 team didn't have. D3 transfer Dejah Terrell may be that player. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, you only need to know who the Top 7 are under DS. Nobody else is playing anyway.

If Sancomb and Lombardi had their way they'd play 5 on 5 iron man for 40 minutes.
                              Very few coaches I've talked with over the years like to go much more than 7-8 deep unless they're running a 40-minute press defense. East Stroud is about the only team in the PSAC I've seen do much of that recently. Wilson at ESU has been recruiting for that style for a while and seems to follow a philosophy of wearing opponents down with wholesale substitutions. It's worked pretty well for him, but I think it disrupts their offensive flow at times. If you can play many more than 8 players without a drop-off in performance at either end of the floor, you've got yourself a very good team. Even if you can go that deep, however, many coaches don't like the mental headache that comes with finding minutes for 10-11 players.

Comment

Two added to VULCANS MBB roster and I have no idea at all what the point of listing .20 players is. My guess is by the time the team picture is posted it will be 16-18.

https://calvulcans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Bryson Lucas, 6'6" 190, Byrd HS, Clarksburg, WV seems interesting as 1st team All State averaged 17.5 ppg and 10.5 rpg. That is if he's even real.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X