Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Actually the VULCANS recent history versus both SHIP and ESU is bad so the opportunity, due to missing opponents, to steal a couple ended up a wash which doesn't help the VULCANS Renaissance. Still crawling before a walk.
    Looks as if you guys have a nice team, but the West looks as loaded as it's been in a while, so it'll be a tough go. I'd be glad you played Ship and East Stroud early as I expect both will be considerably better by January. I've seen Ship lose some over the years that surprised me, but with the three-point shot almost any team that isn't a truly bad squad can knock you off on a given night. Ship is on a knife's edge so far as the three-point shooting without Biss is very erratic. I was glad to see Hardy step up and take a couple against Gannon Saturday. He's capable of double-digit scoring, but didn't have to do that with Biss in the lineup. From the results I'm seeing it looks as if Cal, UPJ, Mercyhurst, IUP, and Gannon are all good teams, with some separation for IUP and Mercyhurst at the top of the heap. Should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Looks as if you guys have a nice team, but the West looks as loaded as it's been in a while, so it'll be a tough go. I'd be glad you played Ship and East Stroud early as I expect both will be considerably better by January. I've seen Ship lose some over the years that surprised me, but with the three-point shot almost any team that isn't a truly bad squad can knock you off on a given night. Ship is on a knife's edge so far as the three-point shooting without Biss is very erratic. I was glad to see Hardy step up and take a couple against Gannon Saturday. He's capable of double-digit scoring, but didn't have to do that with Biss in the lineup. From the results I'm seeing it looks as if Cal, UPJ, Mercyhurst, IUP, and Gannon are all good teams, with some separation for IUP and Mercyhurst at the top of the heap. Should be fun.
      Hey, ALL sports is fun after what we've all been through.

Comment

Also hard to win when your leader, BP, has his career worst game going 0-8 FG, 1-5 FT and 7 TO. I guess my point was in a long season you'll have legit loses which are acceptable if unpleasant, but you must win virtually all winnable games. This game was winnable so congrats to ESU for winning one they shouldn't have.
        ESU's D had nothing to do with Pegram's game? OK, no more kool-aid for you.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

ESU's D had nothing to do with Pegram's game? OK, no more kool-aid for you.
          Of course the WARRIOR D has everything to do with his game, but from the POV of VULCANS MBB analysis, I don't care what they do, it's up to the player to counteract it. Sr BOSWELL-20, Jr COLLINS-17, So ALSTON-16 and Fr PALEK-18 all faced the same D and produced at average levels. As the clear leader of the team his numbers place responsibility for the L on his head. Was he injured, not that I saw. Did he take fewer shots as part of a plan, I wish that he had. He has been the clear reason for many wins, sometimes single-handed, in his CAL U career and been appropriately praised. I would hope that in the locker room postgame he would have much the same outlook on the outcome.

Comment

Of course the WARRIOR D has everything to do with his game, but from the POV of VULCANS MBB analysis, I don't care what they do, it's up to the player to counteract it. Sr BOSWELL-20, Jr COLLINS-17, So ALSTON-16 and Fr PALEK-18 all faced the same D and produced at average levels. As the clear leader of the team his numbers place responsibility for the L on his head. Was he injured, not that I saw. Did he take fewer shots as part of a plan, I wish that he had. He has been the clear reason for many wins, sometimes single-handed, in his CAL U career and been appropriately praised. I would hope that in the locker room postgame he would have much the same outlook on the outcome.
            That's a pretty one-sided approach to analyzing basketball. Defenses try to take players out of their comfort zone. Pegram had to sit because of his mouth. Maybe he should make an adjustment. All of the players you mentioned were better than Pegram Saturday.

Comment

That's a pretty one-sided approach to analyzing basketball. Defenses try to take players out of their comfort zone. Pegram had to sit because of his mouth. Maybe he should make an adjustment. All of the players you mentioned were better than Pegram Saturday.
              He absolutely should have made an adjustment. Think of a wide receiver who can't shake his coverage but stays involved in a winning effort by acting as a decoy and blocking wherever he can. BP was clearly having an off scoring game, which happens, but 3 assists vs a career 5.1 APG, 2 steals vs a career 2.1 SPG and 7 TO vs a career 3.6 TOPG indicates he allowed his off day to distract him from contributing in important ways to winning a winnable game. At the end of a season losing winnable games is the primary reason for going home early.

Comment

One thing I've seen first-hand with Pegram is he can be rattled. The KCAC crowd has gone after him hard each visit. He barks back at the crowd, etc. But, ultimately, he does get thrown off his game. There was one game it seemed he was more worried about jawing back and forth with the front row than the actual game.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

One thing I've seen first-hand with Pegram is he can be rattled. The KCAC crowd has gone after him hard each visit. He barks back at the crowd, etc. But, ultimately, he does get thrown off his game. There was one game it seemed he was more worried about jawing back and forth with the front row than the actual game.
                  And that I have to live with since his mentor accepts it if not outright encourages it.

Comment

Very important week for VULCANS MBB before Christmas break. Unless DS has some friends at CARLOW, I've no idea why this game is on the schedule for Tues 7:00 pm. Hopefully no one gets hurt because they'll need all hands on deck for a weekend DH @ the DOME vs 5-2 WCU Sat 3:00 pm and 6-1 MILL on Sun 3:00 pm. If the team doesn't get out of this week at least 2-1, my expectations for the season drop rather a lot.
                    For anyone interested, all three games will be streamed by CUTV.

Comment

Don't know if it means anything at all but following players on social media sometimes gives hints about the mental state of mind. Very important VULCANS MBB player felt it necessary to complain about altered dining schedules during break. Was DS riding him too hard in practice? Has his PT been cut back more than he felt warranted? Is he a picky eater ?? Will it affect his game? Time will tell.

Comment

Don't know if the date was changed or I misread the schedule but the game versus CARLOW is Wednesday 12/15 at 5:30.

Comment

As expected the game against CARLOW is a scrimmage in uniform. VULCANS lead 45-13 at the half. 18-32 FG, 2-9 3s (ugh), and 7-10 FT. ALSTON 12, COLLINS 12 and PEGRAM 11 lead the scorers. For no reason I can tell BOSWELL is sitting this one out.

FINAL 83-38 VULCANS. 30-66 FG, 7-23 3s and 16-21 FT. COLLINS 22, ALSTON 14 and PEGRAM 13. Late in the game ALSTON limped off but apparently it was a cramp since he was seen later walking as normal.

Two critical games this weekend which I'm guessing will be a split but would love 2 Ws.
                          Last edited by CALUPA69; 12-15-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Through 1/3 of the regular season, as expected, DS is sticking very much to a 7 man rotation. 93% of the minutes are divided by Pegram-275 Total Minutes/ 34.4 Per Game, Boswell 265/37.9, Alston-242/30.3, Palek-205/25.6, Collins-178/29.7, Slaughter-178/22.3 and Lucas-147/18.4.
                            We'll know on Saturday if whatever kept Boswell out vs Carlow was precautionary or something worse.

Comment

As of 12:30 the VULCANS MBB game with KUTZ is still on for 3:00.
                              WBB has been postponed due to COVID 19 concerns and will be rescheduled.

Comment

As of 12:30 the VULCANS MBB game with KUTZ is still on for 3:00.
                                WBB has been postponed due to COVID 19 concerns and will be rescheduled.
                                I think we'll all be crossing our fingers about games through most of the season. Ship's game is already off for today. Hoping Wednesday's with Seton Hill will come off as scheduled.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X