Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Your scenario is dependent upon Wheeling still having a school, let alone a basketball team. They've survived so far, but I wouldn't guess that they're out of the woods financially yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they went the way of Urbana before long.
    Was only using that as a convenient example. Could apply to any of the PSAC privates should they have an opening or NDC in the MEC as long as he can run the program as he sees fit. Who knows, he may even get some interest from a D1 private school stuck in the basement of their conference and looking for a way out. I would certainly give him a recommendation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Your scenario is dependent upon Wheeling still having a school, let alone a basketball team. They've survived so far, but I wouldn't guess that they're out of the woods financially yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they went the way of Urbana before long.
      Wheeling is on probation as of March 2021 by wv higher ed commission.
      diocese has committed to funding total of $7m ending in 2025. At least $2m already spent.

https://www.weirtondailytimes.com/ne...-on-probation/

I would hope DS gets lower D1 offer or stays at cal. He is a very good coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

He could play for more than a few ACC teams right now. Armoni should win POY because of how dominant IUP has been, but Alston is the top individual talent in the league.

Cal was fortunate last night- Hurst was in control of the game and then couldn't score down the stretch. Had some solid looks for their better players. Pegram got bailed out by the officials on two different occasions, but he puts pressure on them to make calls with how hard he attacks the rim. Not a fan of his antics though.

I think Saturday is going to be a really tough game for Mercyhurst. We'll see if they can get it done. Huge game for their NCAA hopes and for how the PSAC seeding will go. If they win, it looks like they'll probably be in and also get themselves another home game versus Cal. If that's the case, going to be no love lost for Round #3. I just think the Rock is a difficult matchup for them.

McIntosh and Pegram are very similar players. Both are extremely talented. Both like to talk and taunt.

The West POY 'Final 3' are pretty easy: Philip Alston, Armoni Foster and John Paul Kromka. I'd guess, the final two become Foster and Alston.

As for Mercyhurst, that game no doubt left a bad taste. They had numerous chances to put it away. If there is a Round 3, in Erie, I'd think it likely favors the Lakers.

Slippery Rock is a difficult match-up for everybody. If you look at their full body of work, they've played everybody tough. The Rock is 17-10 overall -- and, all of its losses have been by single digits. They've lost so many close games against regionally ranked teams. This is a scary team next week -- and, they are red hot with 6 straight wins (including a big one in Angelo's Dome). They have a very good mix of size, speed and athleticism to go along with a very good point guard. Frankie Hughes is a match-up nightmare with his shooting ability and 6'6" size at guard.

So, what happens Saturday with SRU's trip to Mercyhurst? That's a tough call. SRU has confidence now that it was a little lacking earlier in the year. In my opinion they are one of the Top 10 teams in the region right now, but, those early losses stick with you.

Comment

• For the season, VULCANS MBB took s significant step forward but it could have been more. Never like to come down on one player but Preston Boswell picked a bad time to not show up. Another awesome day for Alston with 26 pts and 16 rbds. Good contributions from Pegram, 19, Collins, 16, and Palek, 12. Even Bryson Lucas came in and added 6 pts in 17 minutes. But PB could only come up with 5 pts in 37 minutes and was essentially a ghost in a very important game. Thankfully not the last game as CAL gets to grind it out versus SRU on Monday. Hopefully he'll bring his A game to the ANGELO DOME.

Comment

• Probably the last game this year goes down like a lot of others as a solid effort, but untimely non-appearances by key players results in a close loss. Playing a #1 seed on their home court is always going to be an epic challenge. Phil Alston showed up as usual with 20 pts, 14 rbds and 4 blks. What can you say but it's been an amazing opportunity to see his game blossom this year. Brent Pegram rewarded DS belief in him with a decent night as a team leader as well as 19 pts but a somewhat weak 3 assts. Freshman Keith Palek, as he has most of the year, exceeded what you might expect of a young lanky player adding 13 points but only 2 rbds. The duo who weren't able to raise their games and seem most responsible for the loss were Preston Boswell, 7 pts plus 4 rbds, and Zyan Collins who shot 1-9 for 3 pts along with 3 rbds. Again , although it's a team sport, the failure of these two players to contribute their average ( Boswell-11.3, Collins-14.5) stands out. Their failings were not purely on them. An amazingingly talented team of C'HAWK defenders certainly had a good deal to do with it. But in the end that's little consolation. 9 losses probably rules out regional play but we'll know for sure on Sunday and then glimpse the future on Monday in the TP. Thanks to all the players for a very enjoyable season and special thanks to seniors Boswell and Pegram for giving VULCANS MBB fans a reason for paying attention again.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
              Probably the last game this year goes down like a lot of others as a solid effort, but untimely non-appearances by key players results in a close loss. Playing a #1 seed on their home court is always going to be an epic challenge. Phil Alston showed up as usual with 20 pts, 14 rbds and 4 blks. What can you say but it's been an amazing opportunity to see his game blossom this year. Brent Pegram rewarded DS belief in him with a decent night as a team leader as well as 19 pts but a somewhat weak 3 assts. Freshman Keith Palek, as he has most of the year, exceeded what you might expect of a young lanky player adding 13 points but only 2 rbds. The duo who weren't able to raise their games and seem most responsible for the loss were Preston Boswell, 7 pts plus 4 rbds, and Zyan Collins who shot 1-9 for 3 pts along with 3 rbds. Again , although it's a team sport, the failure of these two players to contribute their average ( Boswell-11.3, Collins-14.5) stands out. Their failings were not purely on them. An amazingingly talented team of C'HAWK defenders certainly had a good deal to do with it. But in the end that's little consolation. 9 losses probably rules out regional play but we'll know for sure on Sunday and then glimpse the future on Monday in the TP. Thanks to all the players for a very enjoyable season and special thanks to seniors Boswell and Pegram for giving VULCANS MBB fans a reason for paying attention again.

Unless we have some Cinderella action (non-ranked teams winning tournaments) this weekend, Cal isn't done. Even with the losses, their resume is very strong.

But, the Vulcan nation should really be cheering for IUP this Saturday. Shippensburg is a team capable of winning two games this weekend -- and taking an automatic spot.

I thought Cal played good enough to win last night. IUP just hit a couple clutch shots. The beat the heck of out each other last night. You guys have a very good, tough team.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Unless we have some Cinderella action (non-ranked teams winning tournaments) this weekend, Cal isn't done. Even with the losses, their resume is very strong.

But, the Vulcan nation should really be cheering for IUP this Saturday. Shippensburg is a team capable of winning two games this weekend -- and taking an automatic spot.

I thought Cal played good enough to win last night. IUP just hit a couple clutch shots. The beat the heck of out each other last night. You guys have a very good, tough team.
                It's actually quite enjoyable to have C'HAWK fans, above all others, take the VULCANS teams seriously. Since my days in the Valley those games have always been a bit more fun to win and a bit more painful to lose. As all loyal CAL U supporters know "Friends don't let friends go to IUP!!" ;)

Comment

• This isn't truly CAL U related but Danny Sancomb's most successful protege, Haywood Highsmith, has signed a 3 year deal with the Miami Heat. A lot of hard work and consistent solid play for G League Delaware Blue Coats has really paid off. From MEC observers anyone have a comparison of the player HH was at WJU and the player Phil Alston seems to be at CAL ?

Comment

• Here is a link if you want to watch highsmith sr in 2017-2018 and judge for yourself.
                    Other games are available.

just search on demand tab for an opponent like west liberty and then look for year of video

https://team1sports.com/wjuathletics/

Comment

This isn't truly CAL U related but Danny Sancomb's most successful protege, Haywood Highsmith, has signed a 3 year deal with the Miami Heat. A lot of hard work and consistent solid play for G League Delaware Blue Coats has really paid off. From MEC observers anyone have a comparison of the player HH was at WJU and the player Phil Alston seems to be at CAL ?
                      According to my recollection, Alston is actually more explosive than Highsmith was. Alston seems to play "above the rim" more freely and frequently than Highsmith. Now, there's no substitution for Highsmith's tireless work ethic, but on pure athleticism and raw ability, I think Alston has the edge. But it's the work ethic that ultimately got Highsmith where he is. There are 150 "Alstons" and "Highsmiths" on D1 rosters across the country right now, athletically speaking. But only one "Highsmith" has Highsmith's work ethic to go with it.

(Caveat emptor: could just be recency bias speaking).

Comment

• As expected without Younkins FSU had no answer for Alston as the VULCANS win their regional opener 95-74. #1 led all scorers with 29 pts and 15 rbds versus the FALCONS total of 24 rbds. Collins 20, Boswell 15 and Palek 10 contributed to good even scoring.
                        Entirely different game coming up tomorrow.

Comment

As expected without Younkins FSU had no answer for Alston as the VULCANS win their regional opener 95-74. #1 led all scorers with 29 pts and 15 rbds versus the FALCONS total of 24 rbds. Collins 20, Boswell 15 and Palek 10 contributed to good even scoring.
                          Entirely different game coming up tomorrow.
                          Boswell played great today. He had a couple of his classic flops but overall he was tough.

Comment

• Wvsu slow on closeouts. Indicator of tired legs.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Boswell played great today. He had a couple of his classic flops but overall he was tough.
                              Between Boswell, Pegram, and Abram, it was flop city for a while out there. Those are some of the finest floppers in the Atlantic region. And good on the refs for generally not falling for it. Three different times Abram fell down after releasing 3's, and all three times the ref just looked at him on the ground and shook his head. Good work by the officials.

Comment

• Tough game gets the VULCANS to a place I felt was unreachable after the loss to IUP 11 days ago. WVSU must have been one of the toughest #7s in the eight regions. Took out the #2 and almost the #3. Not a great game by CAL U but an outstanding comeback from 14 down at around 13:49. On a day when Alston couldn't get his game going, 5 players in double figures was the answer. Critical small detail was only 6 PF in the second half which denied WVSU the chance to tie in the final ten seconds. Shooting FT was the scoring (+7) difference which is very often the case in March.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X