Clear All

• Atlantic Region Men's teams in preseason NABC Top 25

12. Mercyhurst
    14. West Liberty
    18. IUP
    22. Fairmont State
    25. Charleston

No CIAA teams listed.

There should be several strong teams in the PSAC this year. Kind of surprised to see the CIAA shut out. Also, I'd be interested in the rationale for Mercyhurst over IUP. Maybe they're impressed by the Lakers five players from foreign countries. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
      There should be several strong teams in the PSAC this year. Kind of surprised to see the CIAA shut out. Also, I'd be interested in the rationale for Mercyhurst over IUP. Maybe they're impressed by the Lakers five players from foreign countries. Who knows?
      Mercyhurst played last year and IUP didn't. It could be that simple.

But, rest assured, it will be settled on the hardwood.

Both will be strong this year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Mercyhurst played last year and IUP didn't. It could be that simple.

But, rest assured, it will be settled on the hardwood.

Both will be strong this year.

Yup, should be an interesting year. I expect Ship, East Stroud, Millersville, and West Chester to be solid in the East. Kutztown might be improved.

Comment

I'm shocked IUP wasn't higher. Mercy will be good, but they did take a few big transfer hits. Losing Bolon hurts WLU big-time as well.

My assumption is that the region is IUP's to lose.

Comment

This won't go over well here, but I really think WV State is going to be very good this year. They return 3 big guns. Ernest Jenkins, who was a good player for them two seasons ago, returns to State after spending a year at Morgan State. They also added two quality JUCO players and another D-1 transfer who can run the point. They played every one tough last year and showed some ability to pull some upsets....ie winning at West Lib which rarely happens for any one in the MEC.

I think Poore has his best lineup in a long, long time. He has guys that can play like he wants them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
              I'm shocked IUP wasn't higher. Mercy will be good, but they did take a few big transfer hits. Losing Bolon hurts WLU big-time as well.

My assumption is that the region is IUP's to lose.
              I'd bet IUP is ahead of Mercyhurst in the PSAC preseason poll -- but, not by much. IUP has kind of owned the Mercyhurst series the past five years, but (giant 'but'), Mercyhurst won at some real key (painful) moments (mainly Round 2 of the 2018 NCAA Tournament inside a shocked KCAC) ... also known as The Lady in Red game.

Gary recruits so well up there. In a year like this, it's best to get them early while the new guys are still learning that defense. Once they really start clicking in it by mid-Jan and February, they are a real pain to play. Most of their guards return. The bigs tend to adapt to their system much faster than new guards.

But, Joe has won two straight outright PSAC titles, so, until he's knocked off, I'd say they are the team to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                This won't go over well here, but I really think WV State is going to be very good this year. They return 3 big guns. Ernest Jenkins, who was a good player for them two seasons ago, returns to State after spending a year at Morgan State. They also added two quality JUCO players and another D-1 transfer who can run the point. They played every one tough last year and showed some ability to pull some upsets....ie winning at West Lib which rarely happens for any one in the MEC.

I think Poore has his best lineup in a long, long time. He has guys that can play like he wants them.
                Good info.
                I agree that they could be a serious threat along with UC, who is also loaded.
                Key is to get a good shot every possession - no heat check or circus shots.

Their strategy against wlu in the past has been to hold the ball until 10 secs and then go 1 on 1. If wlu is cold shooting, it has worked. Wlu has adjusted with 3 shutdown defenders at guard: Malik, Cmont (xfer from walsh) and the improvement of Patrick on defense. They have added 6-8 Viktor who can block shots inside as well as a great passer and scorer.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  12. Mercyhurst
                  14. West Liberty
                  18. IUP
                  22. Fairmont State
                  25. Charleston

No CIAA teams listed.
                  I'm surprised no CIAA team is listed but I doubt that will be the case by February. I'm actually looking forward to VSU vs IUP game. That is so far the biggest game on our schedule. Welcome back CBB!

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post

WVS has been improving bit by bit for the last several years. They are on the cusp of being a regional playoff team. IF they can beat the teams they are supposed to (twice) and pull an upsets or two among the "big 3," they could have a good shot at being an NCAA tourney team. Note I see Concord, Glenville and perhaps NDC in that second tier.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

I'm surprised no CIAA team is listed but I doubt that will be the case by February. I'm actually looking forward to VSU vs IUP game. That is so far the biggest game on our schedule. Welcome back CBB!

Comment

Both times they've played have been really good games.

VSU is getting two tough games that weekend. Pitt-Johnstown will be pretty solid.

Plus two with Ship ... that's an impressive non-conf schedule.

Comment

I just noticed that. Very unusual. We will take the rankings boost after the wins. LOL.

Comment

I just noticed that. Very unusual. We will take the rankings boost after the wins. LOL.
                            Should be good games (I hope). I remember the last one at Ship, 58-54 for VSU and very physical. Will look forward to seeing the Trojans up here. Our schedule breaks weird this season and that will be our first home game in about a month.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X