Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Paul HBCU Tip Off Classic

VUU just beat WVSU 75-49 in the first game.

WSSU plays Morehouse next.

Winners and losers play each other tomorrow. I believe all games can be streamed through ESPN+. Games are being played at Mohegan Sun Arena.

WSSU pulls out the victory 58-45.

WVSU v. Morehouse will be at 2:00 tomorrow and WSSU v. VUU will be at 4:30. Both games will air live on ESPNU as well as stream on ESPN App.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
      VUU just beat WVSU 75-49 in the first game.

WSSU plays Morehouse next.

Winners and losers play each other tomorrow. I believe all games can be streamed through ESPN+. Games are being played at Mohegan Sun Arena.
      WVSU has certainly been prone to "mental lapse games" in the past, but that kind of serious beatdown by VUU is really impressive by the Panthers. I can't imagine WVSU was looking past an opponent in a high profile tourney like this, so hats off to the Panthers for smothering the Yellowjackets like that. That's a statement game on a big stage.

The VUU - WSSU match should be a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

WVSU has certainly been prone to "mental lapse games" in the past, but that kind of serious beatdown by VUU is really impressive by the Panthers. I can't imagine WVSU was looking past an opponent in a high profile tourney like this, so hats off to the Panthers for smothering the Yellowjackets like that. That's a statement game on a big stage.

The VUU - WSSU match should be a good one.
        That's two in a row WVSU has got smoked. I was expecting much more from them this year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's two in a row WVSU has got smoked. I was expecting much more from them this year.
          Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yeah, they got pounded by a Virginia Union team that lost to a Biss-less Shippensburg.

Comment

The Classic concluded yesterday. WVSU pulled out a 71-66 win over Morehouse, and VUU pulled out a 59-55 victory over WSSU. WSSU will seek revenge against VUU on Dec 16th when they meet in a game that will count for conference record purposes.

Considering we only returned 4 players from our 2019-2020 conference championship team I'll take being 4-2 at this point. We got thrown into the fire with exhibition games against Duke and Wake Forest, and then had to play West Liberty so hopefully those lessons learned will carry the team. Our next two games are against a USCAA school and a NAIA school, so hopefully that doesn't give us a false sense of security going into conference play.

Comment

Harlem Renaissance Classic - Presented by AT&T, SLAM & MDJ Original

CIAA Powerhouses Bowie State University Bulldogs and Lincoln University Lions are in Harlem New York City to challenge CACC perennial Champions Bloomfield College Bears and Dominican College Chargers. This doubleheader will have the exhilarating excitement of post season conference championships against teams looking to push the ball in an up-tempo style. HBCU Bands, Cheerleaders, Greeks, Alumni, and the Heart Pumping Sounds of DJ Stretch will have the crowd out of their senses.

Lincoln wins in inaugural HRC

Korey Williams (Brooklyn, N.Y./LaSalle Academy) led the way with 16 points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals, while Jordan Camper (Chester, Pa./Chester)Alex Nunnally (Washington, D.C./Cesar Chavez Parkside) added 11 points and nine boards, while Zahrion Blue (Princeton, N.J./Princeton) finished with 10 points and seven rebounds.

Lincoln (3-2) travels to national-power Ferris State 2 p.m. Sunday.

https://lulions.com/news/2021/11/23/...gural-hrc.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by LULions View Post
                  Harlem Renaissance Classic - Presented by AT&T, SLAM & MDJ Original

Lincoln wins in inaugural HRC

Korey Williams (Brooklyn, N.Y./LaSalle Academy) led the way with 16 points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals, while Jordan Camper (Chester, Pa./Chester)Alex Nunnally (Washington, D.C./Cesar Chavez Parkside) added 11 points and nine boards, while Zahrion Blue (Princeton, N.J./Princeton) finished with 10 points and seven rebounds.

Lincoln (3-2) travels to national-power Ferris State 2 p.m. Sunday.

https://lulions.com/news/2021/11/23/...gural-hrc.aspx
                  I mentioned this before - Lincoln will be a problem this year for teams.

I'm not saying they will win the CIAA this year but I wouldn't be surprised if lose single digit games this year either. I haven't seen all the teams in the CIAA play yet but so far they are in the top 3.

They have size and they seem to have good coaching.

VUU is a dangerous teams when you let their defense control the game. They rely heavily on their defense. If you build a big lead and they have to score points to come back, it's not happening. You are not going to see VUU in a game like Barton and VSU had the other night.

That being said Chris Paul picked the 4 worst teams. I'm not putting teams that can't score on a big stage. If he was trying to showcase the excitement of HBCU basketball, he failed.

First I wouldn't have had the tournament in a WNBA area. I would have had it at an HBCU area. VSU's MPC is by far the best HBCU venue.
                  Secondly I would have put teams that traditionally can put up points. WSSU ok. WVSU ok but VUU No. ESPN probably had something to do with the team selection.

Why not VSU vs Norfolk State and WSSU vs Howard? Who is WSSU's rival in basketball?

Personally I think the HBCU classic was a failure but this was the first one. I hope they learned from it.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

I'm not saying they will win the CIAA this year but I wouldn't be surprised if lose single digit games this year either. I haven't seen all the teams in the CIAA play yet but so far they are in the top 3.

VUU is a dangerous teams when you let their defense control the game. They rely heavily on their defense. If you build a big lead and they have to score points to come back, it's not happening. You are not going to see VUU in a game like Barton and VSU had the other night.

That being said Chris Paul picked the 4 worst teams. I'm not putting teams that can't score on a big stage. If he was trying to showcase the excitement of HBCU basketball, he failed.

First I wouldn't have had the tournament in a WNBA area. I would have had it at an HBCU area. VSU's MPC is by far the best HBCU venue.
                    Secondly I would have put teams that traditionally can put up points. WSSU ok. WVSU ok but VUU No. ESPN probably had something to do with the team selection.

Why not VSU vs Norfolk State and WSSU vs Howard? Who is WSSU's rival in basketball?

Personally I think the HBCU classic was a failure but this was the first one. I hope they learned from it.
                    I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

I agree about Lincoln.

I can't agree with you about the Chris Paul tournament. It was D2 focused as because the D1 focus HBCU tournament he is sponsoring starts tomorrow in Phoenix. Also, I know there's some rule about D1 v. D2 teams playing which is why most of them are considered exhibitions. Additionally, why would we want D1 v. D2 matchups that have the potential to be blow outs and make our D2 teams look bad?

I'm assuming somebody behind the scenes was sponsoring the game to be at Mohegan Sun, because Chris Paul has no ties to that area.

Chris Paul attends WSSU and WSSU won the last CIAA tournament, so it only makes sense they were invited. To cut down on potential already scheduled games it also makes since to invite a non CIAA or SIAC school, so that only leaves you with UDC, Lincoln MO, WVSU, and Bluefield State (so the organizers took their pick out of the 4).

Miles would have probably been the ideal selection from the SIAC, but Morehouse has the better brand name.

?????I can't speak on VUU versus any other CIAA school, but who knows who had availability when this Tip Off Classic was being put together.
                      JCSU and then FSU are our basketball rivals, and NCCU whenever we have the chance to play them again.
                      Last edited by LegalRam; 11-27-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

"I'm assuming somebody behind the scenes was sponsoring the game to be at Mohegan Sun, because Chris Paul has no ties to that area."

The teams are from GA, VA, and WV game played in CT. The games could have in in VSU arena.

Comment

Originally posted by LULions View Post
                          "I'm assuming somebody behind the scenes was sponsoring the game to be at Mohegan Sun, because Chris Paul has no ties to that area."

The teams are from GA, VA, and WV game played in CT. The games could have in in VSU arena.
                          There have been plenty of HBCU football classics and basketball tournaments played in cities and states that don't have HBCUs. Part of it is exposure for the local community.

If VSU hadn't been in the game do you all really think there would have been a good crowd if the games were played in Petersburg?

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

There have been plenty of HBCU football classics and basketball tournaments played in cities and states that don't have HBCUs. Part of it is exposure for the local community.

If VSU hadn't been in the game do you all really think there would have been a good crowd if the games were played in Petersburg?
                            I believe the crowd would have been larger than it was at the Mohegan. All the schools are within a 6 hour drive and that only because of Morehouse.

But it does make since to have it in a place that doesn't have HBCU exposure. I get it now.

Comment

By the way, Norfolk State looks good. I can see them being a problem in the NCAA tournament. No doubt they are winning the MEAC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X