Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    It does look to be a strong year in the CIAA. It'll be interesting to see if the CIAA can get back to having 2 teams in the Regional (it's been a couple of years since that was the case, if I recall).
    Even though it's early I can confidently say two teams is a strong possibility. I think VUU is a lock unless they just tank the rest of the year. The second one is who I'm not sure about yet. The OOO schedules for these teams are not strong enough to support 3 teams, unfortunately.

It seems like every year the whole PSAC conference gets in. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

Even though it's early I can confidently say two teams is a strong possibility. I think VUU is a lock unless they just tank the rest of the year. The second one is who I'm not sure about yet. The OOO schedules for these teams are not strong enough to support 3 teams, unfortunately.

It seems like every year the whole PSAC conference gets in. LOL.
      I'm a MEC fan, so I'm certainly no PSAC apologist, but it does help to recall that it's the largest conference in the country and that the PSAC West & PSAC East essentially function as almost separate conferences (with their own end-of-year awards and everything). So, even though our region only has 3 conferences, it basically functions like 4. When you think of it that way, it's a bit less bothersome that so many PSAC teams get in (some of those are from the West--which is traditionally a stronger group--and at least one or two are from the East).

But, yes, I look forward to a return to the days like it was about 6-8 years ago when the CIAA could be counted on for 2 teams in the tourney, and both were always tough outs. It's just better for the region overall if the competition is tighter. Keep in mind that we're a region that hasn't produced National Champ a) ever if you count the reorganization of regions, or b) since Barton in the days of the shin-length shorts and those old CIAA powerhouses before that if you count the conferences represented.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I'm a MEC fan, so I'm certainly no PSAC apologist, but it does help to recall that it's the largest conference in the country and that the PSAC West & PSAC East essentially function as almost separate conferences (with their own end-of-year awards and everything). So, even though our region only has 3 conferences, it basically functions like 4. When you think of it that way, it's a bit less bothersome that so many PSAC teams get in (some of those are from the West--which is traditionally a stronger group--and at least one or two are from the East).

But, yes, I look forward to a return to the days like it was about 6-8 years ago when the CIAA could be counted on for 2 teams in the tourney, and both were always tough outs. It's just better for the region overall if the competition is tighter. Keep in mind that we're a region that hasn't produced National Champ a) ever if you count the reorganization of regions, or b) since Barton in the days of the shin-length shorts and those old CIAA powerhouses before that if you count the conferences represented.
        Hey, if you want a couple teams we'll gladly send them your way.

PSAC basketball is way too big. You're right, it's basically two leagues under one umbrella.

But, the West was really good last year. Cal was 4th in the West division in the season and made the regional final. That's crazy. I still don't know how IUP beat them 4 times last year. I don't know if we'll ever see a West that deep again. It was nuts.

Comment

Any conference that's too big to play a full round robin in basketball is too big.

I still think they should have three divisions of 6 instead of two divisions of 9.

Comment

Also I can't stand the fact that in some sports (soccer, baseball, softball) there's no mandated cross-division play at all. There's nothing like seeing two teams with similar numbers in the same conference and then finding out they didn't play each other and have almost no common opponents.

Comment

Maybe it's time for some of those PSAC teams to go D1? LOL.

Another pet peeve of mine is that it seems like all the CIAA teams do is schedule OOC games with PSAC teams. I get the logic in it because we are most likely are going to face two of you to get out the regionals but I'm getting tired of seeing games against the same teams. I know you all are fairly close to CIAA schools and it saves money. Blah Blah Blah. Mix it up some time. Plus like Inkbot said it's not like you all have won a championship recently. Why waste OOC games on PSAC teams every year? No offense. You can say the same about CIAA teams. LOL

Can you please tell your ADs not to schedule us for the next three years? LOL

I do like visiting IUP and hearing the I-U-P chant.

One year VSU played Embry Riddle in FL, that was pretty cool.

Comment

Maybe it's time for some of those PSAC teams to go D1? LOL.

Another pet peeve of mine is that it seems like all the CIAA teams do is schedule OOC games with PSAC teams. I get the logic in it because we are most likely are going to face two of you to get out the regionals but I'm getting tired of seeing games against the same teams. I know you all are fairly close to CIAA schools and it saves money. Blah Blah Blah. Mix it up some time. Plus like Inkbot said it's not like you all have won a championship recently. Why waste OOC games on PSAC teams every year? No offense. You can say the same about CIAA teams. LOL

Can you please tell your ADs not to schedule us for the next three years? LOL

I do like visiting IUP and hearing the I-U-P chant.

One year VSU played Embry Riddle in FL, that was pretty cool.
                Well, I can tell you Bowie State has probably seen enough of the PSAC this year. The Bulldogs went 0-5 vs the PSAC in men's basketball this year.

As for so many, the PSAC is probably just simple to schedule with because there are so many options and the proximity. They are also considered in-region non-conference games.

Comment

WSSU rolls to 84-57 win over Johnson & Wales at a packed Gaines Center

https://journalnow.com/sports/colleg...60718ab8f.html

Technically, Winston-Salem State’s game against Johnson & Wales on Wednesday night wasn’t its first at the Gaines Center this season. It just felt like it.

The Rams rolled to an easy 84-57 win over the Wildcats from Charlotte thanks to a defensive effort that’s been routine this season. The Rams (7-1) actually had their first home game against Carolina University, but it was during Thanksgiving break and a lot of the students had gone home.

It was the real deal on Wednesday night, with 1,600 cramming into the Gaines Center that was complete with the Red Sea of Sound, the school’s award-winning band. The Rams have won 17 in a row at the Gaines Center.

The Rams had nine dunks in the game as they got to the rim with ease.

“It was a live experience, for sure,” said freshman KC Shaw of the Rams, who had just six points and got involved with Anthoneay Ray of the Wildcats in a skirmish that resulted in a double technical foul.

When it all happened, the Rams were comfortably in front by 22 points; but Shaw kept his cool and he and Ray went at it guarding each other for a long stretch. With less than five minutes to go Coach Chalen Stafford-Gill of the Wildcats took Ray out. Ray led the way with 22 points for the Wildcats, scoring from all over the court.

“I just tried to play my game defensively and that’s what it was all about,” Shaw said of the incident with Ray. “We just wanted to get this win.”

Jaylon Gibson led the way for the Rams with 20 points, 13 rebounds, two blocked shots and two assists. He had five of the Rams’ dunks on the night.

“This was a lot of fun,” Gibson said. “I give all the credit to the coaching staff, because they’ve put us in this position and we executed.”

Gibson said the atmosphere was a lot different than the first home game.

“Man, it was loud,” Gibson said.

Jaylen Alston helped the Rams with 14 points, while Samage Teel and Issac Parson each hit double figures, combining for 21 points. Jon Hicklin added nine points and three steals.

Coach Cleo Hill Jr. of the Rams addressed his team after the game in the locker room and said: “That was the real Gaines Center.”

The double technical fouls called on Shaw and Ray led to more heated exchanges, and the teams didn’t shake hands afterward. The two coaches shook hands, then both teams left the court quickly.

The Rams trailed one time, 11-10 in the early going. But that didn’t last long and by the time Jeremy Dixon, a freshman from Kinston, hit a 3-pointer the Rams led 23-11 and were never threatened.

Teel’s basket at the end of the half gave the Rams a 49-30 lead at the break. In the first half the Rams shot 52% and had six dunks with three of them by Gibson. He had 14 points, eight rebounds and two blocked shots in 12 minutes in the first half.

The Rams forced the Wildcats into nine turnovers in the first half and for the game forced 21 turnovers.

Rams improve to 7-1 with victory over the NAIA school.

No rest for the defense
                  The Rams came into Wednesday night’s game second in Division II in defense, allowing just 52 points a game.

Coach Cleo Hill Jr. said he’s not surprised because that’s what he’s always preached.

“The guys are just buying in and it’s their hard work, but we know that’s how you win games and it’s like that in our league for sure,” Hill said.

Assistant coach Lance Beckwith said that the mentality is defense first.

“We know to be successful, it’s about doing it on the defensive end,” Beckwith said. “And we’ve done that here early in the season but the hard part is maintaining that consistency.”

Newcomer Gibson having fun
                  One of the Rams’ newcomers is 6-foot-10 center Gibson, an N.C. State transfer who is averaging 12.6 points and 6.7 rebounds a game, second best on the team.

Gibson said it’s been a lot of fun and he loves how the team has come together.

“We just get along very well and we have fun together,” Gibson said. “We jelled pretty quickly and we want to keep that going.”

The Rams have moved up to seventh in the Atlantic Regional rankings, up from ninth after their two wins in Erie, Pa. at the Gary Miller Classic over the weekend.

Paying homage to ’67 team

WSSU is making sure to recognize the historic 1966-67 basketball team that won the Division II national championship behind Earl “The Pearl” Monroe and coached by the legendary Big House Gaines. The team has new warmups with ’67 on the sleeves and Ramily on the back.

The team broke out the warmups for Wednesday’s game.

“We are going to be doing a lot to make sure that team is brought out because we think it’s significant that it’s been 55 years,” Hill said.

Monroe, who lives in New York City, saw the Rams play — and win — in Harlem, N.Y., earlier this season.

“Earl was there and that was great and Tracy McGrady was also there so the guys really got a kick out of meeting with them and talking with them,” Hill said.

Next game for the Rams
                  The Rams will take a few days off before their next game, which is scheduled for Dec. 10 at 4 p.m. against Clark-Atlanta at the Gaines Center.

The Rams will then hit conference play with three straight home games on Dec. 15, 17, 19 against Lincoln (Pa.), Virginia Union and Bowie State. Unfortunately for the Rams the school will be on Christmas break so the atmosphere at the Gaines Center will be nothing like it will be in mid-January

Comment

VUU beat Augusta!

https://vuusports.com/news/2022/12/3...34-points.aspx

It wasn't even a contest in my opinion. I was expecting more of a game from the #2 team in D2

I was surprised how well VUU could shoot the rock.

If they don't at least get to the regional finals, I'll be shocked.

Next game to watch is versus Fairmont State on Dec 30th
                    Last edited by GoVSUTrojans; 12-03-2022, 07:27 PM.

Comment

VUU beat Augusta!

It wasn't even a contest in my opinion. I was expecting more of a game from the #2 team in D2

That's a HUGE win. And it really wasn't even close. Congrats to the Panthers!

Comment

That's a great win for Virginia Union. Actually makes me feel good that Ship only lost to them by four points.

Comment

Bowie plays Augusta on Thursday. What if.....

Comment

VUU beat Augusta!

That's a great win for the Trojans program! But I would not be shocked if they didn't make it to a regional final. Without even thinking, I can name 3 legit teams in this region that are better then VUU (IUP,WLU,WVSU,). And I still haven't gotten to WSSU or Fairmount State (who's currently ranked as well) yet. Just saying that getting to a regional final takes a lot of things to fall into place.

Comment

Originally posted by TopperNation View Post

That's a great win for the Trojans program! But I would not be shocked if they didn't make it to a regional final. Without even thinking, I can name 3 legit teams in this region that are better then VUU (IUP,WLU,WVSU,). And I still haven't gotten to WSSU or Fairmount State (who's currently ranked as well) yet. Just saying that getting to a regional final takes a lot of things to fall into place.
                              Keep in mind East Stroudsburg may be the best team in the Region this year (and, nobody is talking a lick about them). They are certainly in the Top 4, put it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Keep in mind East Stroudsburg may be the best team in the Region this year (and, nobody is talking a lick about them). They are certainly in the Top 4, put it that way.
                                Can you imagine an ESU/WLU match in the regionals? Press press press press!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X