Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think your frustration is well-intended if the anthem isn't being played/performed at all, but it almost always is as far as I know. Its just not included on the broadcast. To me, two entirely different things.

FWIW, I agree with the feeling that I don't understand why its played anyway. This isn't the general custom in other countries. For example, they don't play GSTQ before Premier League games.
    The tradition was around for some time at special events like the World Series. Post Pearl Harbor there was actual discussion that playing baseball was irrelevant and disrespectful. The owners instituted the every game tradition to show how patriotic the sport was and that it had nothing to do with making money. They also sold War Bonds and collected scrap metal to further enhance their image. After five years and with the beginning of the Cold War the tradition stuck. I remember going to a Pirates game with my Dad and having him explain why we were standing. It made about as much sense as saying the Pledge of Allegiance each morning but I certainly wasn't going to object. From the Vietnam era on it's been the focus of an age old "who's the most patriotic" discussion. It has nothing to do with patriotism and a lot to do with symbolism. Makes no difference to me if it's played or not since I'm at a sporting event not a political rally.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X