Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

You probably hit on the reason. But Marlon was 6-5 and blocked his shots, which intimidated Cartier such that he quit shooting. He also got gassed early against the WLU pace. In general, Hillsdale plays extremely soft. Is he just going to stand in the corner and shoot the 3?
    Cartier shot nearly 44% from three, which is very impressive.

Sylla was 100% (1-1) LOL

Sylla had competed against P5 competition in 106-95 loss to Univ. of Miami. But his below par play in Regional and Elite 8 may have hurt him.

From article:
    Meanwhile, for the Sharks, Junior guard/forward Sekou Sylla registered 26 points and a game-best 14 rebounds. He had a double-double in the first half alone, recording 10 points and 11 rebounds before the intermission.

https://miamihurricanes.com/news/202...D22%20campaign.

Hillsdale was unimpressive for a regional champion. There were probably 4-5 teams in the PSAC that could have matched them this year, IUP, with their best player out and their point guard not 100 percent, beat them without a lot of difficulty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Hillsdale was unimpressive for a regional champion. There were probably 4-5 teams in the PSAC that could have matched them this year, IUP, with their best player out and their point guard not 100 percent, beat them without a lot of difficulty.

I don't know that we'll ever see a PSAC as strong and deep as the version we just saw this past year. What a joy this past season was to watch. War after war.

Consider: Cal finished fourth in the West and made the Regional Final. Mercyhurst was a three-pointer that was 70% down somehow pop back out in the final minute against IUP or that game likely ended differently.

The league got four teams in to the Dance and three teams from the West made up the Regional Final Four. That's pretty rare stuff. Overall, it was the strongest West I've ever seen.

East Stroudsburg, UPJ and Shippensburg were easily strong enough to make the 8-team field for NCAAs but all took one too many losses.

We had several teams loaded up with much older players than normal. Obviously that played a major part. But, the league is just in a very good run right now. The PSAC has won the last three regionals it has played in.

The bad news for the league is while this year was superb, ... next year likely will not be.

There will still be a couple very strong teams, but the league won't have near the quality depth it had this year.

So long as Joe finds a PG (which he will), IUP will open up as the favorite next year in the West. UPJ will be good but not nearly as good sans Mulbah. Cal has some players back but replacing Pegram and Alston in the same off-season is about impossible. Mercyhurst kept two of its three portal participants and they'll always be tough. Gannon lost two big pieces to the transfer wire. Edinboro lost its two best guards -- one to graduation and the other left. Seton Hill will be an all-freshman team next year and Clarion will be its typical self. Slippery Rock took massive losses to graduation (two best post players).

I don't know the East as well, but I'd guess Ship and ESU will battle it out. West Chester got clobbered in the portal. Mansfield is a mess. Kutztown was a mess and is even more a mess now. Shepherd always seems to at least be competitive. Lock Haven lost a bunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't know that we'll ever see a PSAC as strong and deep as the version we just saw this past year. What a joy this past season was to watch. War after war.

Consider: Cal finished fourth in the West and made the Regional Final. Mercyhurst was a three-pointer that was 70% down somehow pop back out in the final minute against IUP or that game likely ended differently.

The league got four teams in to the Dance and three teams from the West made up the Regional Final Four. That's pretty rare stuff. Overall, it was the strongest West I've ever seen.

East Stroudsburg, UPJ and Shippensburg were easily strong enough to make the 8-team field for NCAAs but all took one too many losses.

We had several teams loaded up with much older players than normal. Obviously that played a major part. But, the league is just in a very good run right now. The PSAC has won the last three regionals it has played in.

The bad news for the league is while this year was superb, ... next year likely will not be.

There will still be a couple very strong teams, but the league won't have near the quality depth it had this year.

So long as Joe finds a PG (which he will), IUP will open up as the favorite next year in the West. UPJ will be good but not nearly as good sans Mulbah. Cal has some players back but replacing Pegram and Alston in the same off-season is about impossible. Mercyhurst kept two of its three portal participants and they'll always be tough. Gannon lost two big pieces to the transfer wire. Edinboro lost its two best guards -- one to graduation and the other left. Seton Hill will be an all-freshman team next year and Clarion will be its typical self. Slippery Rock took massive losses to graduation (two best post players).

I don't know the East as well, but I'd guess Ship and ESU will battle it out. West Chester got clobbered in the portal. Mansfield is a mess. Kutztown was a mess and is even more a mess now. Shepherd always seems to at least be competitive. Lock Haven lost a bunch.
        The league, especially the West, was excellent this year. Like you said- Cal was 4th in the West and made the Sweet 16. Mercyhurst won 25 games and was a play in the last minute away (either that Planutis 3 or the block/charge) from getting the chance to play for their 2nd straight Elite Eight in a normal tournament bracket. Not to mention IUP's ridiculous run/record the last 4 years (don't feel like looking it up, but it has to be ridiculous, even for IUP standards) and UPJ's consistent success. You would think at some point Gannon will load up in recruiting, although it hasn't happened yet. But I imagine they break through here pretty shortly.

Right now, it looks like a two horse race in the West for next year with IUP as the clear favorite. With McIntosh and Lang back for Mercyhurst, they should have another excellent team if they stay healthy, but IUP still has more firepower, especially in the frontcourt. These rosters don't seem to finalize until the fall, so there's still much that could change between now and the start of school.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Indiana, assuming they get either Foster or Jones or maybe even both back, will be the overwhelming PSAC favorite. They probably would be even without either Jones or Foster. Just more returning talent than the other teams. East Stroud should be a load in the East. Ship will have a formidable, veteran front court returning, but the loss of a player like Jake Biss plus senior guard Kiyon Hardy has coach Fite concerned. Last year's freshmen, aided by some transfer help, are really going to have to step it up for the Raiders to compete. Highly regarded Trey Martin could be the next shooting guard thing at Ship, but he will be s freshman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Indiana, assuming they get either Foster or Jones or maybe even both back, will be the overwhelming PSAC favorite. They probably would be even without either Jones or Foster. Just more returning talent than the other teams. East Stroud should be a load in the East. Ship will have a formidable, veteran front court returning, but the loss of a player like Jake Biss plus senior guard Kiyon Hardy has coach Fite concerned. Last year's freshmen, aided by some transfer help, are really going to have to step it up for the Raiders to compete. Highly regarded Trey Martin could be the next shooting guard thing at Ship, but he will be s freshman.
            Armoni is doubtful but you never know. Shawndale is 100% coming back. How his recovery goes ... we'll see. Sounds good so far.

Joe has some cap room free.

Comment

• Any reports of returnees ??

Comment

• FYI 5/2/2022 D2 Transfer portal update - Data from verbalcommits.comD2 Moving to D1
                D1Dest D1
                Count of Name
                D1Rank New School Name Previous School Total
                28 Loyola Chicago Philip Alston California (PA) 1
                29 Murray State Quincy Anderson Minnesota State 1
                55 North Texas Kai Huntsberry Mary 1
                71 Towson Sekou Sylla Nova Southeastern 1
                102 Bradley Christian Davis Le Moyne 1
                115 Morehead State Branden Maughmer Cedarville 1
                144 College of Charleston Ante Brzovi? Southeastern Oklahoma State 1
                Pat Robinson III West Liberty 1
                156 South Alabama Isaiah Moore Franklin Pierce 1
                Owen White Michigan Tech 1
                170 Caleb Robinson Catawba 1
                189 Troy Aamer Muhammad Lubbock Christian 1
                207 Valparaiso Nick Edwards Glenville State 1
                Quinton Green Cedarville 1
                221 Eastern Washington Dane Erikstrup Cal Poly Pomona 1
                Linton Acliese III San Francisco State 1
                233 UMBC Colton Lawrence Bentley 1
                234 New Hampshire Nazim Derry 1
                238 Indiana State Cade McKnight Truman State 1
                Masen Miller Truman State 1
                Trenton Gibson Tusculum 1
                239 Western Illinois Alec Rosner Winona State 1
                257 Montana Laolu Oke Metro State 1
                270 Presbyterian Crosby James II Anderson 1
                287 Western Carolina Bernard Pelote Catawba 1
                295 Prairie View A&M Kortrijk Miles West Alabama 1
                318 Central Michigan Erwin Weary, Jr. Western Washington 1
                327 Evansville Matthew Ragsdale Western Colorado 1
                342 Idaho State Brock Mackenzie Point Loma Nazarene 1
                Grand Total 29

Comment

• Braden Olson goes from Gannon to Chaminade

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                    Braden Olson goes from Gannon to Chaminade
                    From Presque Isle to Waikiki....sweeet move !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

From Presque Isle to Waikiki....sweeet move !!!
                      Just proves how dumb of a coach Jefferson really is!

Comment

Just proves how dumb of a coach Jefferson really is!
                        Are there any coaches not named Joseph Lombardi who you respect?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Are there any coaches not named Joseph Lombardi who you respect?
                          Yes! If you know basketball you'd get it but you don't! How is Olson not good enough to start and play extensive minutes at Gannon but he's good enough to be at Chaminade??? Explain that!!! Olson was Gannon's best player once Clancy went down and that guy barely played him. He's rather kiss the rears of guys like Ike who act like a jerk on the court and get T'd up for those antics.

Also, I respect the hell out of coaches like Manchel, Ruk, etc. Those guys run great programs! No BS with them.

Comment

Yes! If you know basketball you'd get it but you don't! How is Olson not good enough to start and play extensive minutes at Gannon but he's good enough to be at Chaminade??? Explain that!!! Olson was Gannon's best player once Clancy went down and that guy barely played him. He's rather kiss the rears of guys like Ike who act like a jerk on the court and get T'd up for those antics.

Also, I respect the hell out of coaches like Manchel, Ruk, etc. Those guys run great programs! No BS with them.

Comment

• Nailed it, Chuck. It's a middling program with a great view.

(But it does have a former Hilltopper as a head coach! Albeit one who was run out of here while working as an assistant coach due to allegedly doing some "creative accounting" according to a local news story that broke at the time)

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Nailed it, Chuck. It's a middling program with a great view.

(But it does have a former Hilltopper as a head coach! Albeit one who was run out of here while working as an assistant coach due to allegedly doing some "creative accounting" according to a local news story that broke at the time)
                                Mercyhurst had a player grad transfer out to Chaminade last year (Zach McIntyre). He had a pretty good season ... started 26 of 27 games and scored about 13 ppg.

As I recall they've had some big teams over the years but they seem to be in a funk.

I agree with IUP Alum about Olson (in fact I yapped about it last season). I thought they were a much better team with him on the floor. Who knows what goes on.

But, heck, to be 21 (or so) and get to go spend two years in Hawaii ... live it up.

Ike cracked me up last year at the KCAC. IUP was beating Gannon by like 35 points and the crowd was all over Herster. He turned to the crowd and yelled something about 'I get mine'. Well, he got his but his team was getting blasted. That was the night, to me, it became clear something was little off up there. That was the first Gannon team I've ever seen lay down and quit.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X