Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Photo Day but team picture not posted as yet....

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_wbb/...421378/photo/1
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 10-25-2022, 06:09 PM.

Comment

PSAC WEST WOMEN’S PRE-SEASON RANKING:

1. California,PA. (5)

2. Gannon (3)

3. Edinboro

4. Indiana

5. Seton Hill

6. Pitt Johnstown

7. Mercyhurst

8. Slippery Rock

9. Clarion

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post
        PSAC WEST WOMEN’S PRE-SEASON RANKING:

1. California,PA. (5)

2. Gannon (3)

3. Edinboro

4. Indiana

5. Seton Hill

6. Pitt Johnstown

7. Mercyhurst

8. Slippery Rock

9. Clarion
        @CALU_wbb will be challenged in X-OVER schedule with @#1KUTZ, @#2SHIP and @#5LHU. Only #3BLOOM, #6MANS and #8ESU will be visiting the ANGELO DOME this season.

Comment

WBCA preseason D2 WBB rankings feature 3 ATLANTIC REGION teams....#7-CAL U, #8- GLENVILLE STATE and #15t- CHARLESTON. These three will likely end up fighting it out in the regional, but they all have significant questions about their teams. The VULCANS have their two stars back but most everyone else is new. The PIONEERS took it all last year but that starting five are gone. The EAGLES were very solid last year but were 1-3 against CAL and GSC. Time will tell.
          Last edited by CALUPA69; 11-01-2022, 05:15 PM.

Comment

'22-'23 VULCANS WBB....

https://calvulcans.com/sports/womens...er?path=wbball
            Last edited by CALUPA69; 11-08-2022, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Cal women survived an overtime scare from a very game WLU squad today. If WLU's women can be this good without Bailee Smith, I can't wait to see what they look like when she returns (she'll be the engine that makes the Hilltoppers go this year like Tingle was last year).

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                Cal women survived an overtime scare from a very game WLU squad today. If WLU's women can be this good without Bailee Smith, I can't wait to see what they look like when she returns (she'll be the engine that makes the Hilltoppers go this year like Tingle was last year).
                VULCANS shooting was abysmal aside from 19-23 FT. Defense won turning the TOPPERS over 32 times resulting in 26 points. Not an auspicious opener and tomorrow at Wehrle could be much worse.
                ​​​​​​Fink needs to learn how to defend without fouling. She wasn't brought in to play 17 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

VULCANS shooting was abysmal aside from 19-23 FT. Defense won turning the TOPPERS over 32 times resulting in 26 points. Not an auspicious opener and tomorrow at Wehrle could be much worse.
                  ​​​​​​Fink needs to learn how to defend without fouling. She wasn't brought in to play 17 minutes.
                  I was only able to catch the second half (having a job really gets in the way of midday basketball viewing), but it did seem like defense was the difference. Cal was pretty suffocating--especially when the ball went to the wings. Corinne Thomas seemed to have trouble getting her threes off because there was always a close-out in her face.

Nonetheless, I was glad to see the Lady Toppers put forth a scrappy opening effort.

Comment

Tough 73-80 loss on the road to a strong UC wbb team exposed two problems that VULCANS WBB fans will have to live with this year. The shooting, especially 3pt, is seemingly worse this year than last and clamp down defense will not beat good offensive teams. It doesn't help when calls go against you (26-17 pf) or when for the second night in a row your top transfer, Rajah Fink, fouls out after 15 minutes of play. As a reference last year's top 4 stealers fouled out in 5 games total. At this pace RF will exceed that number before January. She may be the answer to the scoring issues, but we'll never know if she can't stay on the floor.
                    Next up is Bowie State in the ANGELO DOME, then Central State in Ohio before T'giving break. Both should be Ws, but this team hasn't really jelled yet, so who can say.

Comment

It's always confusing when one season is just beginning and there are already new commits....

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_wbb/...65916208398343

A bit short at 5'3" but excellent ball handling and speed. Somewhat concerned about heavy wraps on both legs possibly indicating knee issues but sometimes you roll the dice.

And another. More height but not overly impressive on tape

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_wbb/...22468996399104

And from OBAMA ACADEMY someone that is hard to track....

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_wbb/...78866148360193
                      Last edited by CALUPA69; 11-18-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

VULCANS WBB is overrated this year and, sadly IMO, will only be an average team. Loyd and Terrell will both be as good as expected but the drop off in talent beyond them is significant. Shooting, especially, has gone down hill. Tonight's game against Bowie State began as the rout one might expect with CAL up 47-20 at the half. But with five backups playing 31 minutes they gave back a good deal of that lead losing the 2nd half by 31-42.
                        Shooting again was awful...FG-38.7%, 3PT-33% and FT- 65%. It didn't matter against BSU but certainly will versus top PSAC and ATLANTIC REGION teams.
                        Two more games, @CENTRAL STATE and ABU, in November before XO begins in DEC. I could be wrong and STROM DEFENSE will be enough to win a good majority of the games, but I don't, as yet, see a deep playoff team.
                        One truly odd stat which may reach bizarre. Rajah Fink has now gone 3-3 as she FO of another game. I've no idea what the team or conference season number is but I'll put the over/under at 13 for '22-'23.
                        Last edited by CALUPA69; 11-18-2022, 09:00 PM.

Comment

It's always confusing when one season is just beginning and there are already new commits....

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_wbb/...65916208398343

A bit short at 5'3" but excellent ball handling and speed. Somewhat concerned about heavy wraps on both legs possibly indicating knee issues but sometimes you roll the dice.

And another. More height but not overly impressive on tape

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_wbb/...22468996399104

And from OBAMA ACADEMY someone that is hard to track....

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_wbb/...78866148360193
                          I’ll say. With all the searching I’ve done, I can barely get anything on this one. A strange occurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post

I’ll say. With all the searching I’ve done, I can barely get anything on this one. A strange occurrence.
                            Did locate her Twitter feed @23Kimaya and it looks like she's more AAU WPA BRUINS than OBAMA ACAD EAGLES. If her tweets are valid, she received a good number of D2 as well as several low level D1 offers. From her videos she seems to move well with the ball, is unselfish and a team leader. Playing with waist length hair in college could be an issue since the physicality steps up quite a bit.
                            Last edited by CALUPA69; 11-28-2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

VULCANS WBB finishing OOC before XO begins in earnest. This evening 1-4 ABU visits the ANGELO DOME before the team goes on a tough road trip @ 4-1 SHIP, @ 2-2 LHU and @ 4-1 FAIRMONT ST. My guess based on their play so far is this 3-1 team is 6-2 when they get home. Time will tell.

Comment

VULCANS WBB finishing OOC before XO begins in earnest. This evening 1-4 ABU visits the ANGELO DOME before the team goes on a tough road trip @ 4-1 SHIP, @ 2-2 LHU and @ 4-1 FAIRMONT ST. My guess based on their play so far is this 3-1 team is 6-2 when they get home. Time will tell.
                                Easy workout versus ABU, VULCANS WBB win 85-50. Against a weaker team lay-ups and points off turnovers hid another awful shooting night. Beating the RAIDERS at Heiges will be extremely difficult especially if Dejah Terrell is still out of the lineup. That's 3 in a row she's missed and hopefully we'll get an update on the Jess Strom show this week.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X