Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Fairmont State runs more of a three-quarter-court press. I'd rather face that any day compared to the versions ESU and WL run ... with all the heavy pressure, coffin corners, etc.

I agree with you that when teams who don't press, try and press ... it's usually highly unsuccessful. IUP messes around with a three-quarter-court press and it's pretty much a waste of time. I think this year they've forced one turnover out of it and probably gave up 28 points worth of easy layups. I get it's not all about turnovers. Sometimes I think Joe runs it just to mess with the other teams' rhythm, etc. They may run it 2-3 times a game.

Now, I will say IUP has shredded every team that has attempted to press them this year. That wasn't the case last year but they made some nice tweaks (and have really strong guards along with Ethan and Tomiwa). I'd love to see this team get in to a run/gun but that's just not how Joe plays. But, he's deep enough this year.
    That's the difference with IUP. They have both the experience and depth at guard to handle a talented full-on pressing team this season — something Ship is lacking. This is probably the first time in 7-8 years that Ship hasn't had an above the PSAC average player at point guard. Rechhia actually is a decent shooter and helped them shoot over Mansfield's 2-3 zone on Saturday. I hope he continues to take more open shots in the future.

I actually like the three-quarter press style as long as you don't extend it too far and give up easy hoops. With the 30-second clock, if you can make a team use 6-7 extra seconds to get into their offense it's a big plus. I actually thought the college game was fine with the 35-second clock. Hope they never go to a 24-second NBA clock — I see enough sloppy end-of-shot-clock offense as it is now.

What I did notice about ESU is that their overall roster seems to be significantly quicker this season. IUP should be able to handle the press, but I think Lombardi might have to go deeper into his roster than usual. The biggest key will be for the IUP defense to stop ESU from scoring, which stops them from setting up the full-court pressure.

Comment

How in the world did Salem blow out Concord last night?

Todd May be a good coach but he sure has some sporadic team performances.

Comment

Away game. Didn't have the magic of Christie/Cox Court on their side this time. [shrug emoji]

Comment

NABC Men's Top 25

1. IUP (12)
          2. Nova Southeastern (3)
          3. Lincoln Memorial
          4. Central Oklahoma
          5. Colorado School of Mines
          13. West Virginia State
          14. East Stroudsburg
          15. West Liberty

Votes: Mercyhurst, Pitt-Johnstown

----------------------

D2SIDA Men's Top 25

1. Nova Southeastern (8)
          2. IUP (9)
          3. Lincoln Menorial
          4. Central Oklahoma
          T5. Black Hill State
          T5. Hillsdale
          11. West Virginia State
          13. West Liberty
          20. East Stroudsburg

Votes: Mercyhurst

-----------------------

D2SIDA Atlantic Region Rankings (published prior to Concord's loss to Salem last night)

1. IUP (6)
          2. West Virginia State
          3. West Liberty
          4. East Stroudsburg
          5. Mercyhurst
          6. Virginia Union
          7. Fairmont State
          8. Claflin
          9. Concord
          10. Virginia State

Votes: WSSU, UPJ, Charleston, LH, SRU

Comment

Concord needs wins to keep that SOS boost for IUP.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Concord needs wins to keep that SOS boost for IUP.
              Concord and Winston-Salem.

Although, the CIAA is in the midst of its yearly cannibalization season.

Comment

West Virginia State blown out at home by Greenville State ...

Comment

Region is getting sloppy!

Comment

West Virginia State blown out at home by Greenville State ...
                    WVSU is always good for a couple of inexplicable losses in which they just don't seem to focus. It's always been the knock on that program--the lack of consistency despite the incredibly high talent ceiling. The fact that they made it this deep into the season without one of these nights already happening might mean this group is improving in that regard.

Comment

Region is getting sloppy!
                      Definitely a tough week in the region with bad losses by WLU, WVSU, & ESU.

IUP is firmly in the driver's seat now with no one even breathing down their necks. Take care of business and we're all booking the Indiana Hilton.

Comment

Heck, the Glenville women even lost last night. What a weird week. And with a weird full-moon kinda week unfolding, it's not a great time for IUP to see Cal on the schedule. Familiarity can breed all kinds of weird results. But I would still bet on IUP to take care of business. They're the class or the region until proven otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Definitely a tough week in the region with bad losses by WLU, WVSU, & ESU.

IUP is firmly in the driver's seat now with no one even breathing down their necks. Take care of business and we're all booking the Indiana Hilton.
                          Driver's seat for now but I can see a loss coming soon. IUP hasn't been flawless, I can tell you that much. They won by 31 but there were a few instances I wanted to throw a couple guys to the bench in the first half. Top two guards combined for 6 turnovers in the first half b/c they were jacking around. That doesn't sit well with me.

Comment

Driver's seat for now but I can see a loss coming soon. IUP hasn't been flawless, I can tell you that much. They won by 31 but there were a few instances I wanted to throw a couple guys to the bench in the first half. Top two guards combined for 6 turnovers in the first half b/c they were jacking around. That doesn't sit well with me.
                            I can promise you IUP isn't going undefeated.

Comment

I can promise you IUP isn't going undefeated.
                              Probably not undefeated. But a "good" loss (i.e., to a Mercyhurst or ESU) won't hurt as bad as WVSU losing at home to Glenville or WLU getting blown out by a Fairmont team that WE all know is really good, but that regional ranking bots might not realize is that good due to their 3-game bender in December.

But again, gotta take care of business against Cal this weekend and avoid letting the next weird-result domino fall in this twilight zone week for the region.

Comment

I took Seton Hill in the Pick 'Em last night but I didn't really think they'd beat UPJ. That's a big win for the Griffins.

Seton Hill was 3-24 last year -- and got routinely pummeled. Ben Wilkins has done an incredible job -- quickly. They are now 10-6 with quality wins against Ship, ESU, UPJ and SRU. Their only little funk came when their star PG missed several games.

They hit 14 treys on UPJ last night (14-30). That's impressive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X