Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATLANTIC REGION polls, rankings and blah, blah, blah

Yesterday's D2SIDA Men's Basketball Media Poll Regional Rankings. Context: The regional poll is released every Monday, followed by the national poll every Tuesday. Each region has six representatives (two per conference) that comprise the regional poll. The national poll has 16 voters - 2 from each region.
    Atlantic Rank School Record Pts Previous
    1 IUP (6) 7-0 60 1
    2 West Liberty 7-0 54 2
    3 West Virginia State 7-0 48 4
    4 Virginia Union 7-1 37 5
    5 Fairmont State 5-1 33 3
    6 East Stroudsburg 5-0 32 6
    7 Winston-Salem State 7-1 25 7
    8 Claflin 6-0 19 10
    9 Lock Haven 6-1 12 RV
    10 Virginia State 5-2 5 RV
    Receiving votes: Slippery Rock (4), West Chester (1)

Concord knocked off Fairmont State last night, 86-83.

Fairmont State drops to 5-2.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Concord knocked off Fairmont State last night, 86-83.

Fairmont State drops to 5-2.
      Haven't watched Fairmont yet this year. But given what they have on paper, it seems unfathomable that they've dropped two games already. They should be loaded.

Meanwhile, WVSU is quietly ripping through the league and we haven't even seen Anthony Pitman yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Haven't watched Fairmont yet this year. But given what they have on paper, it seems unfathomable that they've dropped two games already. They should be loaded.

Meanwhile, WVSU is quietly ripping through the league and we haven't even seen Anthony Pitman yet!

I got to see Concord earlier this year. They had one really good half against IUP -- and then got stomped in the next half.

I figured a night would come that they put it all together and play a full 40 minutes. On a night they are 'on' ... they can be pretty good. They have some nice size, etc.

I kind of wonder if the issue in Fairmont isn't talent but if it's merging said talent. Sometimes when you have established vets supplemented with imports who were stars elsewhere ... well, they all still can't be stars. You need dirty work guys, etc.

Losing at WVSU in OT isn't anything alarming. Concord is a game they should win.

Comment

I was thinking more about what WVSU has been able to do so far this year (and all without their All-Region player). And I thought that we never seem to give much love to Bryan Poore on this board.

There's a lot of respect on this board for the great coaches in this region: Lombardi, Manchel, Fite, Rukavina, Koenig at Fairmont, Cleo Hill & Lonnie Blow down in the CIAA, etc. But Bryan Poore might be among the most underrated coaches in the region for the job he has consistently done at WVSU over the past handful of years.

Comment

Poore does an excellent job. He hit a lull during about a 6-year stretch but he has them back up there. They are off to a 7-0 start without Pittman who is a D2 man-child.

It is unlikely to happen, but if WVSU were to host the region.....Institute is a tough place to play when their students roll in there. Back in the 2000s, Fleming Hall was intense as it gets. They needed that new arena and that has helped their basketball program grow.

Comment

I was thinking more about what WVSU has been able to do so far this year (and all without their All-Region player). And I thought that we never seem to give much love to Bryan Poore on this board.

There's a lot of respect on this board for the great coaches in this region: Lombardi, Manchel, Fite, Rukavina, Koenig at Fairmont, Cleo Hill & Lonnie Blow down in the CIAA, etc. But Bryan Poore might be among the most underrated coaches in the region for the job he has consistently done at WVSU over the past handful of years.
              We don't see him much up here which probably leads to the lack of mentions. I watched them play WL in the NCAAs last year and then play Cal the following day.

They are kind of an oddity in the MEC ... they play more like the high-level teams in the PSAC, style-wise. They are built very similarly to IUP.

I thought they had Cal beat last year but the Vulcans just kept coming and pulled it out, 67-65. WVSU had a chance to put that game on ice and didn't do it. I thought IUP vs WVSU last year in the final would have been an incredible game to watch (and, I didn't want to see Cal vs IUP Part 4).

No question, he's got them rocking and rolling. Anybody still out (season is over a month old at this point) must have a somewhat serious injury (or be ineligible). Any idea when Pittman will return?

Comment

No question, he's got them rocking and rolling. Anybody still out (season is over a month old at this point) must have a somewhat serious injury (or be ineligible). Any idea when Pittman will return?
                No word here.

Comment

Heard Pittman might be back for Saturday since the semester ends on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
                    That explains that.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
                      The semester ends Friday but grades probably won't process until early next week. I highly doubt you'll see Mr. Pittman this weekend.

Comment

The semester ends Friday but grades probably won't process until early next week. I highly doubt you'll see Mr. Pittman this weekend.
                        Well, and even if they fast-track his grades (which I suspect is possible), it still means he has to pass everything and get the GPA up to the proper level. If one finds oneself in this position in the first place, that may not be a 100% guarantee.

Comment

Well, and even if they fast-track his grades (which I suspect is possible), it still means he has to pass everything and get the GPA up to the proper level. If one finds oneself in this position in the first place, that may not be a 100% guarantee.
                          I get the occasional young kid (freshman) running in to academic issues. When upperclassmen go through this ... it's mind-boggling. IUP has one in the same boat, albeit not a starter.

In reality ... let's be honest. We aren't exactly the Ivy League. About the only way to become academically ineligible at our schools is by not going to class.

Comment

The Fairmont hype train has derailed. Falcons lost for the third time last night.

Comment

The Fairmont hype train has derailed. Falcons lost for the third time last night.
                              That's really hard to figure. They brought just about everything back. On paper that should be a very complete, very deep team. Not sure what is happening down there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X