Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are allowed. They've chosen not to play at night.
    Really?! Why is that? Any reason for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by GSCfan1275 View Post
      What’s happening in Institute, WV, WV State is in a free fall since losing to Glenville on 1/18. They have now lost 4 in a row.
      According to box scores, everyone is playing. It's not an injury issue as far as I can tell. This is, perhaps, just another one of those foreseeable stretches when WVSU is capable of losing focus. That's always been the book on them--oozing talent, but lacking consistent night-in-night-out focus.

I would expect their focus to be razor sharp on Wednesday. If there's a game they know how to get up for it's when WLU comes to town. That's gonna be an incredibly tough one to pick once IUPbigIndians posts the Pick 'Em for the week. I expect WVSU to be ferocious in their defense of the home court on Wednesday (unlike their mousy effort yesterday afternoon).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

it’s not unique to IUP. Most of the men’s Saturday games in the PSAC with very few exceptions tip at 3 p.m. I like the mid-afternoon games personally but I can see why some might like a later tip. Attendance was 3,187, which is the biggest gate so far this season. The Cal game drew around 2,900.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I heard that the reason was to make it easier for friends and family and donors from a distance to come see the games. If you have a 1-2 hour drive, much easier in the winter to do that with a 3 PM tip.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I heard that the reason was to make it easier for friends and family and donors from a distance to come see the games. If you have a 1-2 hour drive, much easier in the winter to do that with a 3 PM tip.
            That is correct. Most, from what I've heard, like the 3pm better.

I think there is one Saturday night game late in the year.

Comment

That is correct. Most, from what I've heard, like the 3pm better.

I think there is one Saturday night game late in the year.
              I confess to liking the afternoon starts on Saturday as I've gotten older. And when the team is on the road I don't have to wait until late at night to get the scores.

During football season I've been up to a couple of Penn State night games, and there's nothing like trying to get out of State College late at night after and a football game and then driving three hours to the southern part of the state.
              Last edited by Ship69; 01-29-2023, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I confess to liking the afternoon starts on Saturday as I've gotten older. And when the team is on the road I don't have to wait until late at night to get the scores.

During football season I've been up to a couple of Penn State night games, and there's nothing like trying to get out of State College late and night after and a football game and then driving three hours to the southern part of the state.
                IUP really had a niche there on Saturday nights for nearly 30 years. They were one of the only schools to always play at night. Their Saturday night home winning percentage was insane and the KCAC just had a different vibe on Saturday night.

I didn't like the change last year (this started last season) but I've slowly changed my opinion. It's nice to go to the game and out to dinner afterward.

A lot of the IUP players are from the Erie area. Their families attend every game. That's a tough drive home in the winter when the game wouldn't end until 10 p.m.

Comment

• D2SIDA Men's Basketball Region Poll (released 1/30)

1. IUP (6)
                  2. West Liberty
                  3. Virginia Union
                  4. Fairmont State
                  5. Mercyhurst
                  T6. Claflin
                  T6. East Stroudsburg
                  8. West Virginia State
                  9. Winston-Salem State
                  10. Pitt-Johnstown

Votes: West Chester (7), Charleston (5), Lock Haven (1)

For comparison sake ... here is the more-scientific ranking released by Inkblot (which accounts for the metrics and is quite different):

1. IUP
                  2. Virginia Union
                  3. Fairmont State
                  4. West Liberty
                  5. Pitt-Johnstown
                  6. Mercyhurst
                  7. West Chester
                  8. East Stroudsburg

Comment

D2SIDA Men's Basketball Region Poll (released 1/30)

1. IUP (6)
                    2. West Liberty
                    3. Virginia Union
                    4. Fairmont State
                    5. Mercyhurst
                    T6. Claflin
                    T6. East Stroudsburg
                    8. West Virginia State
                    9. Winston-Salem State
                    10. Pitt-Johnstown

Votes: West Chester (7), Charleston (5), Lock Haven (1)

For comparison sake ... here is the more-scientific ranking released by Inkblot (which accounts for the metrics and is quite different):

1. IUP
                    2. Virginia Union
                    3. Fairmont State
                    4. West Liberty
                    5. Pitt-Johnstown
                    6. Mercyhurst
                    7. West Chester
                    8. East Stroudsburg
                    A lot of chaos still to come with these rankings. A lot of these teams still have to play each other again: FSU/WL, IUP,HURST, IUP/UPJ, etc. These rankings are probably going to change ten times over.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

A lot of chaos still to come with these rankings. A lot of these teams still have to play each other again: FSU/WL, IUP,HURST, IUP/UPJ, etc. These rankings are probably going to change ten times over.
                      Correct. It's just something to talk and argue about at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I actually don't think there is much to argue about right now. I think Inkblot is pretty close to being spot on right now.

Comment

• If you want to talk about utter chaos, here are the current WOMEN'S rankings:

D2SIDA Women's Basketball Week 11 Regional Poll (published 1/30)

1. Glenville State (4)
                          2. Gannon (2)
                          3. West Virginia State
                          4. Shippensburg
                          5. Charleston
                          6. Lincoln
                          7. Fairmont State
                          8. Elizabeth City State
                          9. West Liberty
                          10. California

Votes: IUP (8), Bowie State (7), Seton Hill (5), Edinboro (4)

Compared to Inkblot's metrics:

1. Shippensburg
                          2. Glenville State
                          3. West Virginia State
                          4. Gannon
                          5. Charleston
                          6. IUP
                          7. Lincoln
                          8. West Chester

Comment

If you want to talk about utter chaos, here are the current WOMEN'S rankings:

D2SIDA Women's Basketball Week 11 Regional Poll (published 1/30)

1. Glenville State (4)
                            2. Gannon (2)
                            3. West Virginia State
                            4. Shippensburg
                            5. Charleston
                            6. Lincoln
                            7. Fairmont State
                            8. Elizabeth City State
                            9. West Liberty
                            10. California

Votes: IUP (8), Bowie State (7), Seton Hill (5), Edinboro (4)

Compared to Inkblot's metrics:

1. Shippensburg
                            2. Glenville State
                            3. West Virginia State
                            4. Gannon
                            5. Charleston
                            6. IUP
                            7. Lincoln
                            8. West Chester
                            Ship is having an excellent year, but I think I'd have to rate Gannon above them based on their head-to-head game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Ship is having an excellent year, but I think I'd have to rate Gannon above them based on their head-to-head game.
                              I quit trying to figure out the ladies' side of things long ago. IUP, for instance, blew out Lincoln, beat California and lost (at) Gannon by a couple points. They also lost to Slippery Rock and got blown out of Johnstown. Perhaps it as simple as having much more parity on the women's side. IUP can look like a front-runner one game and a high school team the next. It seems a lot of the women's teams, likely with the exception of the top couple, are pretty up and down.

Comment

• IUP women about 3 years ago had athletes with good size and ability. Seemed like they could play a lineup of 5-10 / 6-0 across the positions. They are much smaller today and that seems to be an equalizer. That has dropped them off the top line. A player like Cardona sitting out a game creates a major hole and led to them dropping the SRU game. The D1 transfers are not having the impact that past transfers did.

IUP was due for a down year (especially with the abrupt coaching change) and I’m sure the rest of the conference is relieved about that. A couple legit transfers can bring them back to the top 5 in the Atlantic. Question is if the current coach can seal the deal especially with the interim tag and no guarantee he will be retained. I think the opening will be posted by April 1 based more on approach than by wins/losses.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X