Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I think that things will settle down in a few years. Once kids see the percentages of kids who actually wind up going to a better situation is smaller than they thought, they'll think twice about it.
    In the next two years, this is going to organically settle down. You're essentially dealing with 3 different components here.

1. The NCAA permitted anyone to transfer without penalty during the 2020 year given the pandemic.
    2. The NCAA allowed any student athlete on a roster during the 2020 year an extra year of eligibility.
    3. The NCAA granted all student athletes the one-time transfer a couple years ago. That doesn't include the grad transfer rule, which was always a rule, but was something that nobody ever utilized or heard of until recently.

Essentially, we're still in the midst of student athletes who have both an extra year and were awarded 3 free transfers (COVID transfer, one-time transfer, grad transfer). The extra year of eligibility stuff will end in 2 academic years. That will likely calm down the number of transfers, in all sports, considerably. There's still going to be transfers, but I'm not sure it'll be as abundant beginning in the 2025-2026 academic year.

The new NCAA president has said all the right things to this point regarding some of the "issues" surrounding college athletics. He wants to get a handle on NIL, which is clearly needed. He's also made some comments about the transfer portal and educating players more about the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I'll say it again, Armoni had to go if he had D1 aspirations. He had to prove he could play against D1 opponents. He got the Covid year of eligibility and that's what he used to transfer. Tomiwa in the portal is a total different story.
      Understood. I'm just saying that he opened the door. And maybe Tomiwa still would have gone and he would have been the one to open the door. But given that it's back to back years, it's fully ajar now.

Comment

• Shem Golek for Fairmont is an interesting name in the Portal. He was a starter (and strong contributor) for Fairmont 2 years ago, but hasn't seen the floor in the last two years. Not sure if that was due to injury, performance, attitude, or what. But he was a very productive player when he played several years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Understood. I'm just saying that he opened the door. And maybe Tomiwa still would have gone and he would have been the one to open the door. But given that it's back to back years, it's fully ajar now.

Tomiwa better take note of a few recent D2 stars (bigs) who chose to go up.

* Last year's D2 National Player of the Year (Sekou Sylla / Nova Southeastern) ... went to Towson and played just 15 mpg while putting up 5 ppg and 4 rpg.

* Patrick Cartier (formerly of Hillsdale) played 22 mpg for Colorado State -- averaging 12 ppg and 3 rpg

* Phillip Alston (formerly of California) did have a tremendous year - albeit on a pretty bad team at Loyola-Chicago. He started 30 of 31 games and averaged 15 ppg and 6 rpg.

Tomiwa is built almost identically to Sylla (both in the 6'5" to 6'6" range and both weigh about 210 lbs). That can be very effective size in D2. It typically is not in D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

* Last year's D2 National Player of the Year (Sekou Sylla / Nova Southeastern) ... went to Towson and played just 15 mpg while putting up 5 ppg and 4 rpg.

* Patrick Cartier (formerly of Hillsdale) played 22 mpg for Colorado State -- averaging 12 ppg and 3 rpg

* Phillip Alston (formerly of California) did have a tremendous year - albeit on a pretty bad team at Loyola-Chicago. He started 30 of 31 games and averaged 15 ppg and 6 rpg.

Tomiwa is built almost identically to Sylla (both in the 6'5" to 6'6" range and both weigh about 210 lbs). That can be very effective size in D2. It typically is not in D1.
            Those are actually pretty good stats for Cartier and Alston, but both of those guys were more polished offensive players than Tomiwa.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The challenge with Tomiwa is that he's just a classic tweener in size. He's listed at 6'6". Byrce Bulter is listed at 6'5". Butler could be a guard at the higher level given his size and offensive abilities. Tomiwa isn't a guard, and he's not big enough to be a classic big at that level. You'd love him to be an old school small forward type, but you don't see a ton of teams play that type of guy anymore. Even when they do, they're normally about 6'7" or 6'8" and can shoot it and handle the ball. Sam Young was like that on those really good Pitt teams. He may have been more in the PF role, but I'm pretty sure he was 6'8".

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Those are actually pretty good stats for Cartier and Alston, but both of those guys were more polished offensive players than Tomiwa.
                For the record, I'm still not convinced he's actually leaving. Several people have said if he doesn't get a real fancy offer he's going to stay. I suppose the definition of 'real fancy' can vary. I read that as at least major D1 or very high-level, mid-major. No way he leaves to go dumpster dive at some Robert Morris-type program. Heck, Bagent last year turned down Maryland and WVU to return to Shepherd. So, you never know.

If he does stay, Joe has to properly use him next year. No more being Joe's infamous 'garbage man'. He should have had a way larger role in the offense this year. Top to bottom, he was their best player.

Comment

In the next two years, this is going to organically settle down. You're essentially dealing with 3 different components here.

1. The NCAA permitted anyone to transfer without penalty during the 2020 year given the pandemic.
                  2. The NCAA allowed any student athlete on a roster during the 2020 year an extra year of eligibility.
                  3. The NCAA granted all student athletes the one-time transfer a couple years ago. That doesn't include the grad transfer rule, which was always a rule, but was something that nobody ever utilized or heard of until recently.

Essentially, we're still in the midst of student athletes who have both an extra year and were awarded 3 free transfers (COVID transfer, one-time transfer, grad transfer). The extra year of eligibility stuff will end in 2 academic years. That will likely calm down the number of transfers, in all sports, considerably. There's still going to be transfers, but I'm not sure it'll be as abundant beginning in the 2025-2026 academic year.

The new NCAA president has said all the right things to this point regarding some of the "issues" surrounding college athletics. He wants to get a handle on NIL, which is clearly needed. He's also made some comments about the transfer portal and educating players more about the process.
                  It will settle down somewhat but what ultimately will end the rampant transfer cycle is for the coach to say no...OR to limit were a player can go for example, you can transfer to a D1 west of the Mississippi OR you can't transfer to a DII in-region OR Nova SE OR Valdosta.

Of course, the other side of the coin is do you really want a disgruntled (because you wouldn't let them transfer) player on your roster?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

It will settle down somewhat but what ultimately will end the rampant transfer cycle is for the coach to say no...OR to limit were a player can go for example, you can transfer to a D1 west of the Mississippi OR you can't transfer to a DII in-region OR Nova SE OR Valdosta.

Of course, the other side of the coin is do you really want a disgruntled (because you wouldn't let them transfer) player on your roster?
                    Nope. Howlett has said publicly in interviews that his attitude is: "if you don't want to be here, we don't want you here." So guys who want to leave have a green light to leave. Howlett believes he can always find kids who are excited to play this brand of basketball. Hope that remains true. And we'll see what kind of reload he's able to make if/when Mont & Sampson (who both graduated but have a year of eligibility left) hit the portal to join Butler.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I'll say it again, Armoni had to go if he had D1 aspirations. He had to prove he could play against D1 opponents. He got the Covid year of eligibility and that's what he used to transfer. Tomiwa in the portal is a total different story.
                      Maybe he’s burned through all the good kitty in town…time for new scenery.

:-)

Comment

I don't think (currently) coaches can limit destinations. They used to be able to do so (to an extent). Grad transfers have always been free reign but they used to be able to block (or, limit) undergrad transfers.

They mostly transfer for academic reasons so why hold back their educational opportunities? lol

Comment

Coaches are not permitted to do that anymore. That's all part of the one-time free transfer rule.

Comment

Coaches are not permitted to do that anymore. That's all part of the one-time free transfer rule.
                            That would be the only pro-coach or pro-campus rule I could support - but it would have to be justified with possible appeal similar to high school transfers. For example, within the conference or a non-conference team on next year's schedule.

Comment

• I wonder who is advising these young men to leave solid D2 programs and go sit on the bench in a D1 program. I would imagine the ones that D2 and become big minute guys in D1 are far and few between.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP1423 View Post
                                I wonder who is advising these young men to leave solid D2 programs and go sit on the bench in a D1 program. I would imagine the ones that D2 and become big minute guys in D1 are far and few between.
                                I wonder how far we are away from a D1 that has interest in a HS prospect but for whatever reason can't offer him this year saying, look we really like you but we want you to get a year or two of seasoning at a top flight DII like WLU and if you decide to transfer, make sure your first call is to us. We know that D1 coaches are willing to do some questionable things so why would they not consider that?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X