Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

As for Joe and Danny ... it is what it is. Joe's like 14-0 against Danny (including 7-0 the past two seasons). I think Danny finally just lost it. Joe and Gary Manchel used to be the same way although they have grown to be pretty friendly the past several years.
    To be fair, Danny yells all game every game, so I'm not sure this is isolated to games vs. IUP.

Comment

Cal was without both Bryson Lucas and Zyan Collins this past season. Both would have been starters. Lucas is an electric, 6'6" G/F and Collins is a big, 6'4" point guard.

Had they both been there this past year, well, hard to say how the West would have looked.

But, next year:

Jermaine Hall, Cam Polak, Lucas, Collins, KJ McClurg, Keith Palek, Donald Whitehead, etc. They are going to be nasty.

The only thing they are missing -- and I'm sure Danny knows it -- is a legit banger on the inside. If he adds that player via the portal, that could be an Elite 8 team (or more) next year.

As for Joe and Danny ... it is what it is. Joe's like 14-0 against Danny (including 7-0 the past two seasons). I think Danny finally just lost it. Joe and Gary Manchel used to be the same way although they have grown to be pretty friendly the past several years.
      Generally speaking... Age and the realization that you are far closer to the end, than the beginning of your career, tends to heal a lot of wounds. Great example of that is the Crosby and Ovechkin relationship. Those two guys, personality wise, couldn't be more different. It's unique to see how they interact now that they've been in the league 18 years.

Gary was the only guy in the PSAC for a long, long time that actually had Joe's number. They've both had a very nice recent run of success within the conference and region. I think there's a lot of respect there.

Comment

The connection in the trio is they likely all grew up playing together. Herster and Austin both went to Kennedy Catholic. Carmody played at Mars (and went to South Bend as a 4-star recruit).

Keep in mind, for various reasons, none of them have played much basketball in the past several years. Herster and Carmody have battled numerous injuries. Austin had personal issues and missed some time.

I'd guess Lindsey is also a full-ride guy. Knowing what SRU typically spends a year, four full tickets would pretty much wipe them out. So, it could be those four potential stars and a supporting cast of (essentially) walk-ons. Or, perhaps Ian Grady landed a whale and now has an influx of money.

Grady quietly has a very strong reputation among players. He's well-liked and players enjoy playing for him. Quite a contrast to the previous regime.

If this does come together (and they stay healthy), that is going to be a scary lineup. That's a lot of firepower.
        Grady lost four to graduation: Baker, Britt, Cazacu, and McFall. He's also lost Galimore and Gates to the portal. That probably frees up some decent money.

Grady has excellent local connections - his younger brother played at SRU and runs the Butler County Chamber. Something unique to SRU is they have a person in admissions who focuses on athlete applicants. They can process applications in 24 hours where other schools put the recruits through the usual slow process. Grady's wife runs SRU athletics eligibility. They have an AD who wants to win and is a Rock athletics HOF member. Morrow is also getting a $50 million renovation soon.

He's got money to spend and things to sell.

Comment

• IUP’s Kyle Polce in the portal

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
            IUP’s Kyle Polce in the portal
            Saw that coming a mile away.

I don't blame him after this past year. Good player but I think he saw the writing on the wall.

He may end up at Mercyhurst (where his brother played). Manchel recruited him out of high school but he picked IUP instead.

Comment

• Add IUP’s Nolan Burk

Comment

• IUP now with 7 open roster spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP1423 View Post
                  IUP now with 7 open roster spots.
                  So long as no surprises with Ethan, Dallis, Jaylen, Waldo and Brooks ... they'll be fine. We'll see what Bethea does.

Joe's a strong recruiter with a great product to sell. He'll get some serious players. Some names have surfaced that visited this past weekend. If he gets a couple of them they'll be good to go.

Essentially, Diop, Callum and Burk didn't play at all (the latter two were walk-ons).

Comment

• Sounds like Tomiwa is all but gone. Posted on his Instagram thanking IUP, the community, Joe and his teammates. "It has been an honor and a pleasure to play with you." He's 6-6, listed as a small forward but only shot 14-45 on 3-pointers this season, which means he's more a small-ball 4 or super small defensive 5. Having two years of tape means he can prove he's a hooper, though. He has the right passport for a lucrative professional career, whether coming out of IUP or Robert Morris.

Comment

So long as no surprises with Ethan, Dallis, Jaylen, Waldo and Brooks ... they'll be fine. We'll see what Bethea does.

Joe's a strong recruiter with a great product to sell. He'll get some serious players. Some names have surfaced that visited this past weekend. If he gets a couple of them they'll be good to go.

Essentially, Diop, Callum and Burk didn't play at all (the latter two were walk-ons).
                      It would have been nice to keep Polce for what he brings on defense, but really, none of these guys leaving are difference makers. Callum and Burk are DIII players. I’m sure Polce was aware of who Joe is courting and started to think about how he was going to fit in. He’ll be a nice pickup for a DII school and I wish him well. I liked the way he played.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

It would have been nice to keep Polce for what he brings on defense, but really, none of these guys leaving are difference makers. Callum and Burk are DIII players. I’m sure Polce was aware of who Joe is courting and started to think about how he was going to fit in. He’ll be a nice pickup for a DII school and I wish him well. I liked the way he played.
                        The thing to keep in mind is not everybody who enters the portal chooses to do so on their own accord. Scholarships are one-year deals. They aren't always renewed. Sometimes it's just time to part ways.

In Polce's case, he probably just wants to play 30+ minutes per game. That was never going to happen here. Joe already has Dallis and Stewart, and both will be here two more years. Polce isn't a PG so at best he was going to be a backup. I'd have loved to keep him as the 7th or 8th guy but he can go somewhere else and start.

From what I know already, the PG they are heavily targeting is a one-year guy (and it isn't Michael Bradley). The other guard will be a Junior next year. They are also heavily in on a post player from within the PSAC (which surprised me a bit).

If Joe lands these guys things could be pretty exciting next season. I suspect there will be some news soon -- perhaps as early as today.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I wouldn't doubt Polce ends up down with Ron Fudala at USCB (University of South Carolina Beaufort). Recall he was Joe's long-time assistant who left two years ago to start and transition this program in to D2. Ron is an excellent recruiter (and, per many, was actually the one who landed many of IUP's recent stars). In case anybody missed it, Fudala just landed one of the WPIAL's leading scorers (who was previously committed (verbally) within the PSAC West. Fudala is extremely well-connected up this way and will be yet another recruiting headache for Atlantic schools.

He's going to do very well there -- and, my guess, quickly. He's got some really key features to sell down there (including a big ocean).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Generally speaking... Age and the realization that you are far closer to the end, than the beginning of your career, tends to heal a lot of wounds. Great example of that is the Crosby and Ovechkin relationship. Those two guys, personality wise, couldn't be more different. It's unique to see how they interact now that they've been in the league 18 years.

Gary was the only guy in the PSAC for a long, long time that actually had Joe's number. They've both had a very nice recent run of success within the conference and region. I think there's a lot of respect there.
                            I got the chance to see them chatting just off the gym floor at the KCAC during the regionals. It seemed like they had a very good rapport with each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I got the chance to see them chatting just off the gym floor at the KCAC during the regionals. It seemed like they had a very good rapport with each other.
                              I would agree with that. I was at the game when they played Mercyhurst at the KCAC in the regular season as well. They both seemed very friendly with each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I would agree with that. I was at the game when they played Mercyhurst at the KCAC in the regular season as well. They both seemed very friendly with each other.
                                They are pretty close now. Wasn't always the case lol.

I'd say Joe's top annoyances of all time:

1. Kevin Reynolds - While KR never won in Indiana (nor has SRU since 1991), KR got some big wins against Joe in Morrow. His antics need no explanation.

2. Danny Sancomb - Quietest, softest-speaking guy around off the court. Most annoying (and biggest cry baby) on it.

3. Damien Blair - These two go it every game. If they played more often, this would be quite a show. It was a tight stretch for a bit. Joe's won 6-7 in a row now in the series.

4. Gary Manchel - I think these two spent so long hating each other that they actually started to like one another. Ten years ago this was the most awkward pre-game chit-chat you could watch. Of course, Joe was vocal about not wanting Gannon and Mercyhurst in the PSAC, so that probably didn't help.
                                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-31-2023, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X