Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rukavina said in the Johnstown paper today that Kromka is 'day to day' but they expect him to play. His actual injury wasn't mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Rukavina said in the Johnstown paper today that Kromka is 'day to day' but they expect him to play. His actual injury wasn't mentioned.
      I guess they're wedded to metrics in D2, but in the D1 tourney they've been known to make a different pick when a team has a crippling injury such as this. Even with Kromka healthy,I thought UPJ was something of a borderline call this year. I guess they did win one over West Chester during the season, but I think the Rams would have been a better pick at this stage or perhaps even a team from another conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I guess they're wedded to metrics in D2, but in the D1 tourney they've been known to make a different pick when a team has a crippling injury such as this. Even with Kromka healthy,I thought UPJ was something of a borderline call this year. I guess they did win one over West Chester during the season, but I think the Rams would have been a better pick at this stage or perhaps even a team from another conference.
        I'd have put Winston-Salem State ahead of them but I get the avoiding rematches theory. All the metrics aside, I don't know how a conference champion gets seeded below the third place team in the PSAC West.

UPJ was pretty tough there in the middle of the season. I think they just wore out. Playing that few players for 4 months just takes its toll. If Kromka can't play, they'll lose than they lost to Mercyhurst last week without him.

Rukavina is a good coach and I'm sure he'll have them ready to play Saturday. They'll have had 10-11 days off and this is basically a home game for them. I think they'll stick around for a bit but WL will pull away -- likely big -- in the second half.

Comment

I'd have put Winston-Salem State ahead of them but I get the avoiding rematches theory. All the metrics aside, I don't know how a conference champion gets seeded below the third place team in the PSAC West.

UPJ was pretty tough there in the middle of the season. I think they just wore out. Playing that few players for 4 months just takes its toll. If Kromka can't play, they'll lose than they lost to Mercyhurst last week without him.

Rukavina is a good coach and I'm sure he'll have them ready to play Saturday. They'll have had 10-11 days off and this is basically a home game for them. I think they'll stick around for a bit but WL will pull away -- likely big -- in the second half.
          The week and a half off is what will keep them in that game. They should have their legs back but the lack of depth will ultimately cost them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They say that in D1 injuries are only taken into account for seeding, not for selection.

Comment

WSSU finished third in the CIAA South behind two teams that didn’t sniff getting in the tournament. Add in that three of their wins were non D2 and I don’t think there was any way to seed them higher than 8. Of course I think UPJ would’ve been more than happy to get the 8 seed. WL is a much worse matchup for them.

Comment

Wasn’t California 3rd in the PSAC West last year and was the 3 seed in the region?

Comment

A look back to earlier this season ... three of the games this Saturday are rematches. Not that games played months ago matter much ... but, we got a week to kill here.

Dec. 30

Fairmont State at Virginia Union

The Falcons led by 7 points at the half, but Virginia Union stormed back in the final 20 minutes to tie the game. By OT standards, a really frantic 5 minutes followed. The teams combined for 27 points in the extra session. VU ultimately prevailed for an 88-83 win.

Of note, Virginia Union clobbered FSU on the boards, 55-34. However, Fairmont State hit 7 more three-pointers. FSU really struggled with VU post players Robert Osborne and Raemaad Wright -- two big, physical forwards. The Falcons had a very balanced attack with (6) players scoring in double figures.

Nov. 18

Pitt-Johnstown at West Liberty

The Mountain Cats didn't get blown out in either half, losing the first half by 9 points and the second half by 8 points -- resulting in a 93-76 road loss. Interesting stat: UPJ was able to grab just (3) offensive rebounds the entire game. Pitt-Johnstown star John Paul Kromka was held in check (by his usual standards) and finished with just 12 and 6. Malik McKinney led West Liberty with 24 points.

Nov. 13

IUP vs. Winston-Salem State (played on a neutral court at Clarion)

IUP stormed out to a commanding 37-22 lead at the half but won the second half by just two -- ultimately ending in a 67-50 Crimson Hawks win. IUP star power forward Tomiwa Sulaiman played just 16 uneventful minutes due to foul trouble. Shawndale Jones and Ethan Porterfield led the way with 20 and 19 points.

IUP was beat up on the boards -- Sulaiman sitting for 24 minutes didn't help in battling WSSU's 6'10" duo underneath -- to the tune of 44-33. The difference in the game was WSSU shot horribly in the first half -- 29% from the field and 16% from deep. For the day, they were held to 3 of 19 from outside and just 31% from the field. Jaylen Alston had a big game, finishing with 18 points and 13 rebounds. It turned out to be WSSU's second-lowest scoring performance of the season. Their lowest was actually a win, defeating Virginia Union on Feb. 24 by the score of 45-44.
                  We trailed the entire game verse Virginia Union. We out-rebounded them and had more points off the bench. We held them to 14% behind the arc that game. When Jaylen Alston was on Robert Osborne he was able to neutralize him. We grinded it out that game. We knew it would be physical. We lost our starting PG that game.

Comment

Any of you die-hards going to go the distance Saturday?

I've never made it through all four.

Comment

Any of you die-hards going to go the distance Saturday?

I've never made it through all four.
                      If I were single with no kids, I’d do it. Years down the road when they’re older, if one or both are into basketball and the opportunity arises, I’ll try to talk them into it. Of course by then it’ll be them trying to talk me into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

If I were single with no kids, I’d do it. Years down the road when they’re older, if one or both are into basketball and the opportunity arises, I’ll try to talk them into it. Of course by then it’ll be them trying to talk me into it.
                        I still unfortunately remember the fourth game during Dante and Cobo's senior year.

The whole building (myself included) basically left after IUP beat West Chester.

Then, of course, Fairmont State had Mercyhurst dead in the water, up 5 with 40 seconds left. Naturally the game went to OT and the Lakers won ... and beat IUP in a Round 4 game in Round 2.

IUP had crushed that Fairmont team in Joe Retton that year.

I remember IUPAlum and I talking after Mercyhurst won that nightcap ... We knew it was over.

Mercyhurst not only beat IUP but then beat WL on Tuesday.

Comment

I like IUP’s draw. If Ethan plays like he did this last weekend, I think they’re in the driver’s seat. Assuming they get past the first round, neither Fairmont or Virginia Union scare me.

West Liberty should have the easiest game. Plus they matchup great with UPJ.

East Stroudsburg is an awful matchup for Mercyhurst. I’d almost say East Stroudsburg is the favorite. They’ve had Mercyhurst’s number lately.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                            It really sucks IUP goes on break during the regional. The townies need to turn it up!
                            You and I agree on this!! Couldn't come at a better time for everyone else!!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

You and I agree on this!! Couldn't come at a better time for everyone else!!
                              If ESU gets another crack at IUP they'll still have 3,000 in there on Tuesday night to deal with. Last year's Regional Final was the loudest the KCAC has ever been and that too was during Spring Break.

But, we both better get to Sunday (and win) before making any Tuesday plans lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post
                                I like IUP’s draw. If Ethan plays like he did this last weekend, I think they’re in the driver’s seat. Assuming they get past the first round, neither Fairmont or Virginia Union scare me.

West Liberty should have the easiest game. Plus they matchup great with UPJ.

East Stroudsburg is an awful matchup for Mercyhurst. I’d almost say East Stroudsburg is the favorite. They’ve had Mercyhurst’s number lately.
                                Agreed. Even though IUP and WSSU played four months ago, I think that was their only meeting ever. They were supposed to play in Rd 1 of the cancelled Covid year. Nice to watch some new match-ups.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X