Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

As I recall, the allegation was that he inappropriately took a salary from the basketball camp which was a common practice at many other schools. The difference was in how the camps were structured and how his contract was written. It was sort of a chicken and egg situation...I don't recall anyone saying that he stole the money just that it should have gone to the school and the school should have paid him as opposed to him taking his cut of the money before it went to the school.
    Oh okay, thanks for that clarification Boat.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Crutch's defense has not been good in either game this week.

If the poacher wants to win, he best score a lot. WL shouldn't have any issues getting in to the 90s.
      I’ve watched 3 Nova games over the last 2 years and have been largely underwhelmed each time. Granted those games have been in the Elite 8, but I guess with the gaudy record and huge average margin of victory I just expected more. We’ll see how they matchup, but to my uneducated eyes that have no horse in the race, WL just looks better, especially since Joel Scott won’t be suiting up for Nova. But Nova is really tall, we’ll see how that affects things.

Comment

As I recall, the allegation was that he inappropriately took a salary from the basketball camp which was a common practice at many other schools. The difference was in how the camps were structured and how his contract was written. It was sort of a chicken and egg situation...I don't recall anyone saying that he stole the money just that it should have gone to the school and the school should have paid him as opposed to him taking his cut of the money before it went to the school.
        Sounds like a Wheeling checkbook issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopperNation View Post

Oh okay, thanks for that clarification Boat.
          That said, I don't think he would come back to WLU and I probably wouldn't be too excited by it. As mentioned, he didn't really run the WLU system at Chaminade.

Concerning Lamberti and him being too young for the position, he has been in the coaching ranks for eight years now with five of those being at WLU. When Ben took the WLU head spot, he had been at WLU for six seasons. Maybe a year or two different, but Lamberti is basically at the same point in his coaching career as Ben was when he took over.

IF (and it is a big IF) Ben were to leave, I think Lamberti would be a great hire and more than capable of extending WLU's streak of MEC titles, and NCAA and Elite 8 strong showings.

Comment

That said, I don't think he would come back to WLU and I probably wouldn't be too excited by it. As mentioned, he didn't really run the WLU system at Chaminade.

Concerning Lamberti and him being too young for the position, he has been in the coaching ranks for eight years now with five of those being at WLU. When Ben took the WLU head spot, he had been at WLU for six seasons. Maybe a year or two different, but Lamberti is basically at the same point in his coaching career as Ben was when he took over.

IF (and it is a big IF) Ben were to leave, I think Lamberti would be a great hire and more than capable of extending WLU's streak of MEC titles, and NCAA and Elite 8 strong showings.
            The real question, though, is whether or not Lamberti has ownership over recruiting. When Howlett was under Crutch, Crutch allowed Howlett to do most of the heavy recruiting. So, when Howlett stepped in as head man, he already knew how to go get the players he wanted in this system. If Howlett is still lead recruiter (and Lamberti has not been given an opportunity to make those connections--and I don't know one way or the other, but it's a big IF), then he takes all of his contacts and recruiting acumen with him. The reason the Crutch-to-Howlett transition was so smooth was that Crutch trusted Howlett to take over recruiting while Crutch was still here. I can't say one way or the other how the Howlett-Lamberti arrangement works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

The real question, though, is whether or not Lamberti has ownership over recruiting. When Howlett was under Crutch, Crutch allowed Howlett to do most of the heavy recruiting. So, when Howlett stepped in as head man, he already knew how to go get the players he wanted in this system. If Howlett is still lead recruiter (and Lamberti has not been given an opportunity to make those connections--and I don't know one way or the other, but it's a big IF), then he takes all of his contacts and recruiting acumen with him. The reason the Crutch-to-Howlett transition was so smooth was that Crutch trusted Howlett to take over recruiting while Crutch was still here. I can't say one way or the other how the Howlett-Lamberti arrangement works.
              All true. But I would say that whether Lamberti is the primary recruiter at WLU or not, one thing for sure is that an outsider certainly isn't! With Lamberti, at least there is a legitimate chance that he was and an even better chance he will continue to run the WLU system. If we were to bring in an outsider, the pool of current coaches that run the WLU system is very shallow so you are probably talking about a HC that is going to change what WLU does.

Comment

All true. But I would say that whether Lamberti is the primary recruiter at WLU or not, one thing for sure is that an outsider certainly isn't! With Lamberti, at least there is a legitimate chance that he was and an even better chance he will continue to run the WLU system. If we were to bring in an outsider, the pool of current coaches that run the WLU system is very shallow so you are probably talking about a HC that is going to change what WLU does.
                You're right about that (unless you go get Fee, as someone pointed out previously). But the downside is that if you try to play the WLU system without the horses, it will probably look like bad basketball in a hurry. As the IUP posters like to point out, the system works because the right players are playing it. The wrong players in the system = a .500 Bluefield State team. I would hope Lamberti would have the ability to get the right players into the system, or WLU wouldn't look like WLU basketball either.

Comment

Lamberti is super intelligent. He has an important role with recruits. He watches many games in person and goes to AAU events. Many mention his name. He is also hands on when they work out a recruit at wlu. He would be the only logical choice to succeed him, unless one wants to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Connor Harr is a basketball savant. I hope we can keep him. I have learned much about basketball strategy from his newsletter.

There are many who want to play at WLU. The coaches no longer have to tell recruits about WLU. The word has gotten out; they already know.
                  Evaluation of the basketball skills is relatively easy, compared to assessing if their philosophy matches WLU.

They have to truly not care about personal stats, but only about winning.
                  That is the great advantage of this year's team, compared to recent teams.
                  In the past, we took some truly gifted players, who said all the right things during recruitment; but in the end they focused too much on individual stats.

If WLU truly understands the value of the WLU basketball team, they will keep the coaching staff happy.

At D1 it is even harder to find great players who are all in on the team concept. Then you have NIL.

IMHO, if Ben were to go to D1, the best fit would be Ivy League or military academies, who don't give athletic scholarships. Perhaps, he could become the next version of Princeton's Pete Carril.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Lamberti is super intelligent. He has an important role with recruits. He watches many games in person and goes to AAU events. Many mention his name. He is also hands on when they work out a recruit at wlu. He would be the only logical choice to succeed him, unless one wants to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Connor Harr is a basketball savant. I hope we can keep him. I have learned much about basketball strategy from his newsletter.

There are many who want to play at WLU. The coaches no longer have to tell recruits about WLU. The word has gotten out; they already know.
                    Evaluation of the basketball skills is relatively easy, compared to assessing if their philosophy matches WLU.

They have to truly not care about personal stats, but only about winning.
                    That is the great advantage of this year's team, compared to recent teams.
                    In the past, we took some truly gifted players, who said all the right things during recruitment; but in the end they focused too much on individual stats.

If WLU truly understands the value of the WLU basketball team, they will keep the coaching staff happy.

At D1 it is even harder to find great players who are all in on the team concept. Then you have NIL.

IMHO, if Ben were to go to D1, the best fit would be Ivy League or military academies, who don't give athletic scholarships. Perhaps, he could become the next version of Princeton's Pete Carril.

Good to hear. I really like Lamberti, and I'm glad to hear he's gotten experience recruiting. He seems like the odds-on favorite to take over if/when Howlett leaves.

I, too, like Harr. He seems to have the ear of players even as a "student coach." And that, in and of itself, is impressive. It sounds like we'd be in good hands with a staff of Lamberti, Harr, & Huffman if Howlett were to go.

Comment

I saw a message yesterday about an alumni bus leaving for Evansville this morning. Not sure how many takers they got, but there's a local travel agent who is an alumna who keeps setting up these opportunities (both this one and the bus-loads of folks who showed up in full force in Indiana last week). Hopefully she needed to book extra buses--it'd be nice to fill the place with Topper fans!
                      Unfortunately the charter company cancelled it so no bus

:(

Comment

• I think it will be Lamberti or Fee. If Lamberti is ready then give him the reigns. I was in school for a year or two when he was there guess that means I’m getting old

Comment

You're right about that (unless you go get Fee, as someone pointed out previously). But the downside is that if you try to play the WLU system without the horses, it will probably look like bad basketball in a hurry. As the IUP posters like to point out, the system works because the right players are playing it. The wrong players in the system = a .500 Bluefield State team. I would hope Lamberti would have the ability to get the right players into the system, or WLU wouldn't look like WLU basketball either.
                          Not to belittle recruting in any way...It is equal parts science, art and at times, seemingly witchcraft...But it doesn't really take much to "figure out" the physical tools that WLU players need to play the system:

1. Excellent 3 point shooter,
                          2. Excellent passer,
                          3. Ability and desire to play aggressive defense,
                          4. High energy competator,
                          5. HATES to lose,
                          6. Gym rat,
                          7. Not the "team star" for his high school team.

Stick to those 7 things (MAYBE 6), run them into the dirt in open gym and see who still has the desire to be on the team. If you do that, you will separate the wheat from the chaff and have a pretty good chance of getting "WLU Style" players.

I've said this before, the WLU System is not somthing you can do a little bit of or flirt with. In the words of Yoda...Do or do not. Is no try.! It is so interdependent and tied to "whole game" that it just doesn't work in little bits. If you want to play the WLU Style, you have to stand in front of the fire hose, turn on the nozzle full blast and take a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG drinkAll while getting mocked, ridiculed and perhaps even threatoned for not recruiting ANY star players!!!
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 03-24-2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Not to belittle recruting in any way...It is equal parts science, art and at times, seemingly witchcraft...But it doesn't really take much to "figure out" the physical tools that WLU players need to play the system:

1. Excellent 3 point shooter,
                            2. Excellent passer,
                            3. Ability and desire to play aggressive defense,
                            4. High energy competator,
                            5. HATES to lose,
                            6. Gym rat,
                            7. Not the "team star" for his high school team.

Stick to those 7 things (MAYBE 6), run them into the dirt in open gym and see who still has the desire to be on the team. If you do that, you will separate the wheat from the chaff and have a pretty good chance of getting "WLU Style" players.

I've said this before, the WLU System is not somthing you can do a little bit of or flirt with. In the words of Yoda...Do or do not. Is no try.! It is so interdependent and tied to "whole game" that it just doesn't work in little bits. If you want to play the WLU Style, you have to stand in front of the fire hose, turn on the nozzle full blast and take a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG drinkAll while getting mocked, ridiculed and perhaps even threatoned for not recruiting ANY star players!!!
                            I agree with all except #7. Perhaps you mean prima donna of their team. At the D2 level, nearly all the recruits were the best player on their team.
                            • Rasile scored over 3100 points in high school, second only to Diebler in Ohio history; owns all time 3 pt record (by a large margin)
                            • Daugustino was leading career scorer not only of his school but also of the conference; also lead career scorer in soccer of his school
                            • Pankey was 1000 pt scorer for Youngstown Ursiline

I would add:
                            #8 - play in open gym against WLU players
                            #9 - Must care only about winning and not individual stats
                            #10 - Must accept less than 30 mins a game and perhaps playing the in second platoon.

For some of the times we have missed significantly on recruits, there was not an opportunity for the recruit to play in open gym and one had to rely on film and trusted non-wlu coaches vouching for the recruit. Especially true during COVID.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopperNation View Post

Hahaha Layton, I just booked my hotel and got my tickets! Hopefully, we get a ton of West Lib fans to attend the game!
                              Wish I could be there even though the Battlers aren't (not even close). Have fun!
                              Last edited by crixus; 03-24-2023, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
                                I think it will be Lamberti or Fee. If Lamberti is ready then give him the reigns. I was in school for a year or two when he was there guess that means I’m getting old
                                Nova called crutch to inquire about Jordan Fee as Head Coach. That is when Crutch accepted the job.
                                I speculate that 1) Fee is unofficial head coach in waiting and 2) Nova pays much better than WLU.
                                Lamberti is a western Pa guy with many connections in Pitts. and Ohio.
                                He is my choice.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X