Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Regional ... with the spreads

It's time, you gambling degenerates, for the (un)official point spreads for Saturday. Anybody can take a guess and pick some straight winners. Adding the spreads makes it much more complicated. Feel free to make your picks below based on giving or taking the points. Believe it or not, earlier this season I had a sitting PSAC head coach private message me on here about not giving his team enough love in the point spreads. Records don't mean anything come Saturday. Every team below is 0-0 now. The loser goes home. So, here we go.

East Stroudsburg vs. Mercyhurst

The first game of the day just may be the best game of the day. Mercyhurst has a dazzling defensive reputation (and a very underrated offense). East Stroudsburg, however, has seemed to crack the magic formula when it comes to attacking Gary Manchel's infamous matchup zone. In fact, the Warriors have defeated the Lakers in 4 of the past 5 meetings -- including beating up Mercyhurst pretty good in Erie last season. Some of the players are different, of course, but the two long-time coaches and their philosophies are not.

This game has a lot of intrigue -- and, questions. A week ago ESU showed a different side against IUP -- abandoning its normal frantic press by attempting to play IUP at its own half-court game. It nearly worked. The Warriors are headlined by two of the best post players in Division II in Carlos Pepin and Lakeem McAliley. The Lakers have a star underneath, too, in Pipeloluwa Ajayi. But, they get real small, real fast, after him. Mercyhurst can shoot the lights out from outside. ESU's half-court game against IUP made it very tough on the Crimson Hawks to get clean outside shots. Running their press may backfire and open the floodgates for the Lakers' sharpshooters.

Vegas says this is the toughest game on the board. March is all about match-ups, and this isn't a good match-up for Mercyhurst. If Ajayi gets in early foul trouble -- which is likely being he'll be tasked with dealing with Pepin and McAliley, ESU is going to have a tremendous advantage. The Lakers will likely be forced early on to play both of their post players together, which offsets their typical four-guard advantage on the offensive end. East Stroudsburg has very big, fast guards. Warriors -2.5

Pitt-Johnstown at West Liberty

The coldest team in the field versus one of the hottest. A 6 to 7 man rotation versus 40 minutes of pressing and hockey line changes. There couldn't be a worse match-up for a UPJ team that looked visibly worn down and tired down the stretch. But, this isn't longtime UPJ coach Bob Rukavina's first rodeo. His team has had about 10 days off to rest. It's no secret, however, Pitt-Johnstown played 3 games against pressing teams and got blown out in all of them. The Mountain Cats are a very solid half-court team. This, however, won't even resemble a half-court game. The good news for UPJ is if any team can play slow -- it's them. They thrive in making 6 to 7 passes every possession, etc. They also are a smart team with a lot of experience. Vegas says UPJ may hang around for a bit and this may even be a game at halftime. But, West Liberty will eventually just tire them out. The Hilltoppers can score from all 5 positions. WL -17.5

Winston-Salem State at IUP

WSSU hasn't played since Feb. 25. A year ago, the Fayetteville State coach said after IUP beat them that the long layoff was a factor in their performance. However, this particular long break came at a good time as Winston-Salem is replacing its starting PG (broken wrist in CIAA Tournament). They do have a senior stepping in to the starting lineup. The bad news for the visitors, of course, is IUP has one of the best home-court advantages in the country. The Crimson Hawks are currently on a 30-game home winning streak, and have just one home loss in their past 50-some games. These two played earlier this season (neutral court in Clarion) but that was on the first weekend of the season. Regardless, there is some familiarity. Both teams are physical and showcase big post players and big, athletic guards. Vegas says the pressure is all on IUP. Winston-Salem is playing with house money at this point and has nothing to lose. IUP won the first meeting by 17 points, 67-50. This game will be closer. IUP's offense has become very sporadic but its defense is playing at an elite level. Winning in Indiana is too tall a task. IUP -9.5

Fairmont State vs. Virginia Union

Fairmont State loves to run-n-gun. Virginia Union loves to play a slow, physical, half-court game. Two very different philosophies here. That said, VU put up 88 points on the Falcons in late December in an 88-83 OT win. The telling stat was Virginia Union won the rebounding battle by an astounding 55-34. For FSU to advance, that cannot happen again. Fairmont State was lit up by VU's post players in the first meeting, who scored 25 and 21 points -- and totally dominated the boards. Vegas says this is a simple formula: whichever team controls the pace will win. Virginia Union's muscle will prevail in a PSAC gym. VU -5.5

ESU
    WL
    WSSU
    FSU

Comment

Mercyhurst +2.5 (I already picked them to win outright on the Pick 'Em, so I may as well take some points too!)

UPJ +17.5 (I'll take WLU to win but not to cover. UPJ will keep it from being a runaway.)

IUP -9.5 (WSSU won't know what hit them in the KCAC.)

Fairmont +5.5 (I picked them to win the Pick 'Em, so I'll grab the points here.)

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
        Mercyhurst +2.5 (I already picked them to win outright on the Pick 'Em, so I may as well take some points too!)

UPJ +17.5 (I'll take WLU to win but not to cover. UPJ will keep it from being a runaway.)

IUP -9.5 (WSSU won't know what hit them in the KCAC.)

Fairmont +5.5 (I picked them to win the Pick 'Em, so I'll grab the points here.)
        You’re higher on IUP than every other IUP poster on this board lol

Comment

With the heavy heat, I have the following:

ESU -2.5 / I like the Warriors by 5-7

WL giving the fat number. Second half gets ugly.

IUP steals a late cover in the final minutes (as they've done most of the second half)

VU wins the game, but I'm taking FSU with the +5.5

Comment

MEC: 1

PSAC: 0

Comment

If you gave the points yesterday, you had a rough night -- and went 1-3. Two more chances this evening. Happy gambling, you degenerates.

West Liberty vs. Mercyhurst

The Lakers lead the all-time series by a whopping 1 to 0 (an 82-70 win in the KCAC in 2019). For being two of the top programs in the Atlantic now for a long time, they just haven't run in to each other. That ends tonight. Mercyhurst survived East Stroudsburg yesterday. The Hilltoppers ran circles around Pitt-Johnstown. One team scores a ton. The other is very hard to score against. Both are very-well coached. This is really just pick your poison.

Are you going to bet on the offense or on the vaunted match-up zone? Tough call. The Lakers' star power forward, Pipeloluwa Ajayi, has to stay in the game for Mercyhurst to have a shot. His last two games (IUP and ESU) he sat way too long in foul trouble. Ben Howlett is obviously aware the Lakers are much different -- and much smaller -- with Ajayi on the bench.

West Liberty looked like track stars racing senior citizens yesterday. They may still have a speed advantage today, but it will much, much less. The Lakers are a very quick team. Every team wants to 'control the tempo' against West Liberty. That's much easier said than done. Mercyhurst is probably one of the few teams that can do it.

Vegas says West Liberty is likely a somewhat small favorite tonight -- but, it's going to be far from easy. If the Hilltoppers' crowd is still in town, they will have a significant homecourt advantage tonight. The Lakers do not travel well. And, IUP fans aren't cheering for Mercyhurst (ever). WL -5.5

Virginia Union at IUP

If you want flashy offense, stay home and watch an NBA game. You aren't going to find it here. If you want to see a street fight and elite defense, well, you found it. The way these two teams have shot the ball of late -- and physically clobber people -- the first team to 45 points may win.

This is oddly the first-ever meeting between these programs. Winston-Salem State had nearly two weeks to scout and prepare for IUP -- and the Rams' coaching staff did a phenomenal job. They 'wanted' IUP to shoot from outside. That was their game plan. Their packed-in zone with multiple 6'10" players caused IUP fits. Virginia Union is also a very big team -- with a lot of height and muscle.

Neither team has been able to hit the side of a barn from outside the past 6-7 weeks. Both are very strong rebounding teams. So, the big key in match-ups like this is who gets those missed deep shot rebounds (and, there will likely be plenty).

Vegas likes the home team tonight. Virginia Union didn't travel well yesterday. There won't be a pulsating band playing for two hours. VU played in a quiet, empty arena last night. That will not be the case at 7:30 p.m. Everybody has been waiting for the IUP offense to snap out of its slump. Opportunities are getting pretty limited. Tonight may be a good time. Or, there may not be a tomorrow. The KCAC will be a big factor -- and, IUP is a lot to prepare for in one night. IUP -2.5

Comment

Mercyhurst +5.5 (I took Mercyhurst outright in the Pick 'Em, so no reason to change course now. Even if the Toppers win (hope they do), I could see it being a one possession game.)

IUP -2.5 (Easy cover here.)

Comment

God, 5 p.m. is a weird start time for the first game. Guess they don't want to clash with D1 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                    God, 5 p.m. is a weird start time for the first game. Guess they don't want to clash with D1 or something.
                    I think they have to give an equal rest period for the team that played the late game (even though they don't get a full 24 hours).

That's the only logic in my mind for 5pm and 730pm

Doesn't really matter for the host fans but that's a late ride home for the others.

Comment

I think the home court edge lifts IUP even as we sit with much angst and irritation watching shot after shot clank off the KCAC rims.

It kinda feels like it’s West Lib’s turn to get the better of Hurst. It’s almost become laughable watching Ajayi get into foul trouble almost immediately in these big games and it’s also too bad because he makes an enormous difference and I hope to see these teams compete at their best.

I’ll be in the KCAC on Tuesday if IUP wins and I’ve never been in the building for an IUP-WL game so I’d really like to see one up close, even though I think that matchup is much more likely to end in an IUP defeat than a round 4 war with Hurst.

Comment

I went 3-1…
                        Hurst +5.5
                        Iup -2.5

Comment

One game remains for you gambling junkies.

When the KCAC hosted last year's Regional Final, most of the crowd was in shorts. This morning, there's 2-3 inches of fresh snow in Indiana along with temperatures in the high 20s. Quite the change -- and also quite a different game. A year ago, IUP and California met for a dreaded fourth time in the same season. They knew everything each other did. Fast forward to tonight, and, well, it's quite different. IUP and West Liberty certainly know 'of' one another, but these two lineups have never played one another.

It's been an astonishing 2,919 days since IUP and West Liberty last played each other. On that night in the ASRC, the Crimson Hawks came back from a 12-point deficit -- largely behind former Hilltopper Shawn Dyer -- and eventually won, 77-74, on Brandon Norfleet's corner three as time nearly expired.

Four times these two have met with a trip to the Elite 8 on the line. They split those games with two wins apiece.

This isn't going to be a giant breakdown (by my standards). Between these two fanbases, there isn't much else to say. It's perhaps the best offense in the country against perhaps the best defense in the country.

However, it is a very different match-up for each team compared to what they saw the past two games (all season, really).

IUP is fresh off two Wrestlemania-type street fights. Both Winston-Salem and Virginia Union play to inflict pain. Finesse wasn't found in those games. It was like watching a flashback in time to the 1990s PSAC West. Virginia Union, in particular, had a rotation of guys essentially all built the same in the 6'5", 235 lb range. They weren't a fast team but were a nightmare physically.

West Liberty was able to, as expected, completely overwhelm Pitt-Johnstown. The Hilltoppers then got a tussle from Mercyhurst but eventually pulled away in the second half.

Do those games correlate to tonight's match-up? Not really. West Liberty plays the complete (polar) opposite of IUP's two CIAA opponents. UPJ and Mercyhurst are both very small teams built to play in the half-court.

So, what issues will IUP cause West Liberty tonight?

The Crimson Hawks are tremendously bigger than both UPJ and Mercyhurst (who both like to play four guards and one post player). The Lakers and Mountain Cats' current rosters were kind of custom made to have fits against the Hilltoppers. IUP's low post features not only the 6'9" Ethan Porterfield, but also the ultra-athletic Tomiwa Sulaiman. Damir Brooks can also cause havoc off the bench. Guard-wise, IUP is big, physical, deep and experienced. The strength of this team is its defense. Holding two tournament teams to 50 and 45 points is impressive, regardless of which league they are from. The Crimson Hawks' half-court defense is extremely fast and makes getting clean looks a challenge.

What issues will West Liberty cause IUP tonight?

Numerous. For starters, if West Liberty can turn this in to their preferred track meet, IUP will be in big trouble. IUP has (for the most part) not been playing very good offense the past month and likely will not keep up in a shootout. The Hilltoppers are a much faster team, overall, than IUP is used to playing.

The whacky intangibles:

* IUP will have its home bench tonight and shoot in to the horseshoe first. Unless you have attended every game for years, you don't really realize there is a tremendous difference shooting in to the horseshoe compared to the video board end. I've wanted to pull the stats for years, but teams shoot tremendously better in to the video end -- IUP and visitors. That also means, as usual, IUP will shoot in to the video board end in the second half. For IUP, the Hawks can not get in to their typical early hole.

* The crowd. West Liberty travelled very well all weekend and I fully suspect they do so again tonight. However, both games WL played here were essentially home games for them. Neither UPJ or Mercyhurst had many fans here. The ones who were didn't make any impact. That will be very different tonight. The KCAC will go after some players pretty hard.

* The officiating crew. Will this be a ticky-tack game or a slug fest? That's a big key.

* Law of averages. Shots eventually quit dropping. Shots eventually start dropping. Who will get hot tonight? Who will get cold tonight?

* Pressure. The lights get no brighter than tonight in the Atlantic Region.

Plain and simple:

For IUP to win, this game has to be played in the 70s. For West Liberty to win, they need to score 80 points. Same formula for both as in 2015. If it becomes a track meet, the Hilltoppers will win by double digits. If it's played at largely IUP's pace, the Crimson Hawks will win a tight one.

The betting lines:

Over/Under: 159.5

Vegas: The Hilltoppers are peaking. But, they are perhaps due for a let-down. The KCAC has historically caused a lot of mental break-downs for its guests. Players start bickering with the crowd more than focusing on the game. IUP's offense, however, has been so sporadic the past 5-6 weeks that it's hard to imagine them winning a high-scoring affair. Ace Rothstein set the line. He says it's a PICK 'EM. Too many intangibles. Straight winners only.

Comment

Over/Under: 159.5 -- Taking the Under. I think it stays in the 70s tonight.

Pick: IUP -- Defense, unlike that which the Toppers have seen, will limit clean looks. IUP gets it done on the home floor.

Comment

UNDER

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X