Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the Bemidji loss, Billeter really stressed that players needed to get physically stronger in the weight room, pointed out that Graves got pushed around often. As always he is optimistic about next season and said some of the incoming class will help immediately. Personally, I'm excited about Dallas Bear and Brayson Laube.

For the most part the season went like we expected. Perhaps we thought the freshmen would mature more quickly.

Comment

• high praise for dallas and caden

Who's Leading the Race for Mr. Basketball? - Prep Hoops

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
        Future Viking Brayson Laube also in that mix (mentioned in the same section as Bear). There's about a 200% chance it goes to the Biliew kid headed to Iowa State, but to have all three Iowa recruits even in contention for Mr. Basketball is exciting.

Comment

• If the Augie women win today they are likely in the Regional no matter what happens the rest of the way. The loss in Aberdeen earlier this season was an epic collapse and its time for revenge. Do it for Dave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
            If the Augie women win today they are likely in the Regional no matter what happens the rest of the way. The loss in Aberdeen earlier this season was an epic collapse and its time for revenge. Do it for Dave.
            The match-up between these two back in 2018 (I think) was one of the most heated, load games I've ever been to. I don't think either team is as good as those two but still a fun match up.

Northern women have been a Rollercoaster all season. Beating Mankato and Augie and then having games where they look like one of the worst in the league.

No idea what we'll see today. KO has been a fun watch and finally back to playing like the star she was when she originally committed to Nevada out of hs.

I've heard from some that feel coach Krueger is done after this year. If true, i cant inagine how hard it would be to be an absolute all-time player for a school then get to come back and coach at your alma mater and be let go.

Maybe she can gain another year with a few more wins.

Either way, despite not being fond of eachothers teams, always look forward to Wolves/Vikings games.
            Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 02-26-2023, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Zac Johnson and Alex Distras have entered the transfer portal.

Comment

• Unfortunately, Zac never got his game going and then was injured. Apparently, Alex was not D2 material. Wish them both the best going forward. Coaching staff busy recruiting to fill those spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                  Unfortunately, Zac never got his game going and then was injured. Apparently, Alex was not D2 material. Wish them both the best going forward. Coaching staff busy recruiting to fill those spots.
                  No real surprise here. Johnson is a scorer who needs the ball in his hands, and that wasn't going to happen (nor should it have) as long as Jaden Graves is on the roster. I think Graves' scoring could really take off next year.

Hope Johnson finds a place where he is a top two or three option on offense. Perhaps a GLVC school or one of the Wisconsin D3 schools. As for Distras, it seemed like he was brought in to fill a spot on the roster and be a practice player. Maybe he goes back to England and plays in one of the pro leagues there, as Veron Eze did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post

No real surprise here. Johnson is a scorer who needs the ball in his hands, and that wasn't going to happen (nor should it have) as long as Jaden Graves is on the roster. I think Graves' scoring could really take off next year.

Hope Johnson finds a place where he is a top two or three option on offense. Perhaps a GLVC school or one of the Wisconsin D3 schools. As for Distras, it seemed like he was brought in to fill a spot on the roster and be a practice player. Maybe he goes back to England and plays in one of the pro leagues there, as Veron Eze did.
                    I agree on Johnson. He was starting to blossom early in the year (had a big game vs SD Mines), but then he got hurt and could never shake his injury. From what I understand, he tried to play through it and it just didn’t work. Best wishes to him — I’m sure he’ll land on his feet. He’s a gym rat and many schools are looking for scorers. My take on Distras is that he and Eze were brought over to try to develop some sort of England pipeline. Obviously that didn’t work. The thing we all have to remember with the 2021 high school class is that none of those kids were able to have a normal recruiting experience due to the pandemic. Kids didn’t know what they were getting themselves into, and the schools didn’t have the opportunity to develop the same level of relationships with the kids/families that they normally were able to. That’s a big reason why many of the 2021 kids end up transferring, in my opinion.

Comment

• As a former student athlete and Angie alum, I feel a lot of the blame gets put on the players when they decide to transfer. Every player situation is different just like these 2 players. When you’re a player that never gets a chance to show what he has to offer it hard to say that he’s not capable of playing at that level of basketball. I’ve seen many situations like this over the years. Alex played sparingly to say the least and Zach had his moments. Ultimately I feel it’s leans some on the coaching. These are the guys that recruited these players. They are payed very well to get the most of the player. I personally would not have been one to play for Tom. I know he has a history of being a great coach but over the years of watching him he is very harsh with his players and this year seemed to get even worse. Multiple times this year I seen him screaming at this players. Jaden multiple times and Caden as well just to name a few times. He even admitted that his players don’t responded well when he does that but he eventually seemed to run the same course time and time again. These athletes have a lot of pressure on them not only to play well when they have a a chance but do well in the classroom. At points this season you could see instances where players were hesitant to make a play. Maybe it’s just me but ya”ll can go back and watch the games and see for yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieman78 View Post
                        As a former student athlete and Angie alum, I feel a lot of the blame gets put on the players when they decide to transfer. Every player situation is different just like these 2 players. When you’re a player that never gets a chance to show what he has to offer it hard to say that he’s not capable of playing at that level of basketball. I’ve seen many situations like this over the years. Alex played sparingly to say the least and Zach had his moments. Ultimately I feel it’s leans some on the coaching. These are the guys that recruited these players. They are payed very well to get the most of the player. I personally would not have been one to play for Tom. I know he has a history of being a great coach but over the years of watching him he is very harsh with his players and this year seemed to get even worse. Multiple times this year I seen him screaming at this players. Jaden multiple times and Caden as well just to name a few times. He even admitted that his players don’t responded well when he does that but he eventually seemed to run the same course time and time again. These athletes have a lot of pressure on them not only to play well when they have a a chance but do well in the classroom. At points this season you could see instances where players were hesitant to make a play. Maybe it’s just me but ya”ll can go back and watch the games and see for yourself.
                        One more. Jackson Loge to the transfer portal.

Comment

• Yes I also just seen that. That’s a tough one

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieman78 View Post
                            As a former student athlete and Angie alum, I feel a lot of the blame gets put on the players when they decide to transfer. Every player situation is different just like these 2 players. When you’re a player that never gets a chance to show what he has to offer it hard to say that he’s not capable of playing at that level of basketball. I’ve seen many situations like this over the years. Alex played sparingly to say the least and Zach had his moments. Ultimately I feel it’s leans some on the coaching. These are the guys that recruited these players. They are payed very well to get the most of the player. I personally would not have been one to play for Tom. I know he has a history of being a great coach but over the years of watching him he is very harsh with his players and this year seemed to get even worse. Multiple times this year I seen him screaming at this players. Jaden multiple times and Caden as well just to name a few times. He even admitted that his players don’t responded well when he does that but he eventually seemed to run the same course time and time again. These athletes have a lot of pressure on them not only to play well when they have a a chance but do well in the classroom. At points this season you could see instances where players were hesitant to make a play. Maybe it’s just me but ya”ll can go back and watch the games and see for yourself.
                            There was little to no chance that every underclassmen on this year's team would last all four years at Augie, we knew several would transfer out based on how they played or didn't play. Alex, Zac, and Jackson are not surprising at all. Hopefully they find situations where they can thrive.

Does Tom display his feelings to his players in a passionate way during games when things don't go as planned? Absolutely. Is that harsh? Maybe. Did this year's team get better throughout the season despite being significantly younger than almost all of their opposition? Absolutely.

Personally I wished he would have pulled the plug on the Riemersma-Dykman-Fink-LeBrun era before 21-22 and several months later they won the conference and hosted the regional. I'm guessing all of those guys experienced "harsh" treatment throughout their time at Augie but all of them except Dykman were courtside for the Mankato game at the Pentagon a few weeks ago having a great time.

Augustana has rarely, if ever, had the transfer volume of other schools, until that is the case I am not overly concerned about the players feeling they're being treated unfairly.

Comment

• I agree. You’re never going to keep everyone happy and yes you’re going to have players leave through the portal whether it’s from playing time, the school environment or anything else. I wasn’t saying anyone was being treated unfair or favored I was just saying Toms demeanor was different this year. Someone would make a mistake (turn over, bad foul) he’d throw his hands in the air yell and pull them out of the game. I seen it on several occasions through out the year. Every player is different and will react differently to this. Some times for the good and sometimes for the worse. At the end of the season when he would yell at Jaden he would almost ignore him. I seen it, I was sitting right behind the bench. None of us know the situations of these players and why they are choosing to enter the transfer portal. I also wish them the best of luck in the future. I just hope this doesn’t become a trend.

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRico View Post

One more. Jackson Loge to the transfer portal.
                                I can't understand why he didn't get more playing time this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X