Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

A little more than 3 hours until the Vikes are technically no longer the National Champions. It's been a fun year to be an Augie fan. Fun several years, actually.

Comment

I started the day in the only way imaginable, watching the Vikings issue Lincoln's Memorial a year ago today. Last year I started the day poolside in the shadows of Dr Pepper Arena and by mid afternoon I was doing confetti angels on the court.

I forgot how long Augustana was stuck at 15 points in the first half of that game, they were ice cold and then promptly closed the half with a flurry. The entire starting lineup played an above average to excellent game on the biggest stage of their lives, to paraphrase Texas Tom that's 'doing what we do'.

Dan, Casey, and Al will be legends at Augustana for all of time but Beyer, Huisken, Saugstad, and Busack took on the defense of that trophy and made it a memorable season. To me it seemed like every loss (besides the two to NW because they were cleaely the better team) was more painful than the last because I had been spoiled by two years of mostly blowout wins and close, heart breaking, losses seemed to arrive a few times a month.

I'll never forget Busack's uncanny ability to hit top of the key three pointers while seemingly running full speed. Saugstad started the year being called "Swagstad" by the ESPN3 announcers at Duke and provided more than capabale offense and defense throughout the season.

Zach's play endured its usual peaks and valleys but his play over the final three weeks of the regular season was one of the main reasons why they clinched a Regional bid. However his legacy will always be answering the call when Jansen's foot broke before the Elite 8 last year while providing a more than functional 13-8 in his first meaningful minutes in a few years.

Beyer has always been one of my favorite players of this era. He does everything well and filled an amazing amount of cracks in the facade that normally go unnoticed. He went from nearly leaving after his freshmen year to starting on a team that went 89-14 his last three seasons. His shooting ability is almost without match in Augustana history and how he always shot with his feet staggered was an enjoyable quirk. He was the type of player that deserved more recognition if he was on your favorite team but was never quite good enough to garner those post season accolades.

Today we say good bye to the title of reigning National Champions but it should be a glorious game and hopefully the Bearcats get it done.

Comment

I forgot to inform you guys that after Texas Tom literally pulled down the covering to the championship banner, I was walking out to the hall through heavy traffic when we came close together. He saw my Mavericks Hoops Club pullover and knowingly patted my shoulder with his hand. I thought about going forth to the world and proclaiming the Viking gospel but I controlled my excitement and returned to watch the game. Next time I'll have to get one of those new gold Viking caps and receive an official blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          I started the day in the only way imaginable, watching the Vikings issue Lincoln's Memorial a year ago today. Last year I started the day poolside in the shadows of Dr Pepper Arena and by mid afternoon I was doing confetti angels on the court.

I forgot how long Augustana was stuck at 15 points in the first half of that game, they were ice cold and then promptly closed the half with a flurry. The entire starting lineup played an above average to excellent game on the biggest stage of their lives, to paraphrase Texas Tom that's 'doing what we do'.

Dan, Casey, and Al will be legends at Augustana for all of time but Beyer, Huisken, Saugstad, and Busack took on the defense of that trophy and made it a memorable season. To me it seemed like every loss (besides the two to NW because they were cleaely the better team) was more painful than the last because I had been spoiled by two years of mostly blowout wins and close, heart breaking, losses seemed to arrive a few times a month.

I'll never forget Busack's uncanny ability to hit top of the key three pointers while seemingly running full speed. Saugstad started the year being called "Swagstad" by the ESPN3 announcers at Duke and provided more than capabale offense and defense throughout the season.

Zach's play endured its usual peaks and valleys but his play over the final three weeks of the regular season was one of the main reasons why they clinched a Regional bid. However his legacy will always be answering the call when Jansen's foot broke before the Elite 8 last year while providing a more than functional 13-8 in his first meaningful minutes in a few years.

Beyer has always been one of my favorite players of this era. He does everything well and filled an amazing amount of cracks in the facade that normally go unnoticed. He went from nearly leaving after his freshmen year to starting on a team that went 89-14 his last three seasons. His shooting ability is almost without match in Augustana history and how he always shot with his feet staggered was an enjoyable quirk. He was the type of player that deserved more recognition if he was on your favorite team but was never quite good enough to garner those post season accolades.

Today we say good bye to the title of reigning National Champions but it should be a glorious game and hopefully the Bearcats get it done.
          The NW-Augie game has developed into a really good regional rivalry. It will be a great day if we can take the trophy home out of your backyard.
          Go Hounds!
          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
          Cyclone Power
          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Official sellout today. Originally said 3850 attendance but amended to 3250. Really doesn't matter. Way to go Bearcat fans who could be there and great effort on part of people of Sioux Falls! Looks great on TV!
            Go Hounds!
            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
            Cyclone Power
            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
              Official sellout today. Originally said 3850 attendance but amended to 3250. Really doesn't matter. Way to go Bearcat fans who could be there and great effort on part of people of Sioux Falls! Looks great on TV!
              Must be nice to have de facto home games for the football and basketball titles. ;)
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                Must be nice to have de facto home games for the football and basketball titles. ;)
                Enjoy being a small fish in a very big pond.
                Go Hounds!
                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                Cyclone Power
                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                  Unlike you guys, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                    A little more than 3 hours until the Vikes are technically no longer the National Champions. It's been a fun year to be an Augie fan. Fun several years, actually.
                    Quite a run for Augie; you should be proud.

I'll take the baton from you and hold it tight for the next 364.

Comment

Originally posted by 86Catillac View Post
                      Quite a run for Augie; you should be proud.

I'll take the baton from you and hold it tight for the next 364.
                      It'll be interesting to see how Northwest responds next year compared to Augie. One clear advantage Northwest has over Augie is having Pitts available next year. However, I think the three senior departures are a major blow. I don't exactly know who the Cats have in waiting though.

Comment

Random little piece that apparently ran on Fox Sports North that has a short little clip about the Vikings, their National Championship, and their relationship with Sanford around the 2:12 mark:

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                          Random little piece that apparently ran on Fox Sports North that has a short little clip about the Vikings, their National Championship, and their relationship with Sanford around the 2:12 mark:
                          It ran on the Timberwolves pregame show Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                            It'll be interesting to see how Northwest responds next year compared to Augie. One clear advantage Northwest has over Augie is having Pitts available next year. However, I think the three senior departures are a major blow. I don't exactly know who the Cats have in waiting though.
                            Not wanting to hijack Augie thread, but will risk an answer. Pitts, Ndow, dougherty, Kurth and Welty return from the 8 man rotation. The rest of the squad is an unknown. But a good nucleus returns to defend.

Comment

Originally posted by 86Catillac View Post
                              Not wanting to hijack Augie thread, but will risk an answer. Pitts, Ndow, dougherty, Kurth and Welty return from the 8 man rotation. The rest of the squad is an unknown. But a good nucleus returns to defend.
                              I can see Welty filling in nicely for one of our seniors, he just needs to get in the weight room. I am sure that is the plan for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                                I can see Welty filling in nicely for one of our seniors, he just needs to get in the weight room. I am sure that is the plan for him.
                                Coaches have good things to say about Hawkins as well. He should be able to pick up the minutes Mosby had backing up Dougherty. They'll need to find another guard who can handle the ball and score. Not sure they have that right now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X