Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
    I can see Welty filling in nicely for one of our seniors, he just needs to get in the weight room. I am sure that is the plan for him.
    Welty got left behind in the Regionals and Elite 8. Another year and some time with JQ will help him a lot.
    Go Hounds!
    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
    Cyclone Power
    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by 86Catillac View Post
      Not wanting to hijack Augie thread, but will risk an answer.
      Augie fans hijack threads all the time, don't worry about it....

Comment

Another solid piece on incoming Viking Matt Cartwright, who was recently named the Argus Leader First Five 2017 Player of the Year:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...ader/99781900/

This video was ok too:

Also congrats to future Viking Tayt Vincent on being named to the First Five team: http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...yers/99863686/

Comment

Couple more things Augie fans might enjoy. Just came across this on Twitter:

http://goaugie.com/news/2017/4/10/me...tion-team.aspx

Jordan Spencer named to DII Bulletin All-America Honorable Mention team
          Also thought this was kind of a cool tweet featuring two incoming Augie Vikings:

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            Also thought this was kind of a cool tweet featuring two incoming Augie Vikings:

Who gets to wear #12 next year??? Let the schism begin... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
              Who gets to wear #12 next year??? Let the schism begin... :)
              Have no fear. Those are just their all-star game numbers. Cartwright is usually #23 and Vincent is #13 (which is weird). Cartwright, however, will have to go with another number until Jordan Spencer has graduated.

Comment

I am wondering what others think of Augustana's big man assessment. The last three years AU has lost three big men, who I assume lacked talent for the NSIC. Will Hoiseth, Sam Mayer and Matt Heitmann all 6'9" all gone. This coming season Lucas Walford 6'8" and Marcus Asmus 6'7" look solid. That leaves Bodey Behrends 6'9" and Andy Kerkman 6'8" and strong bodied. Bodey was redshirted and Kerkman played sparingly. Was there injuries to those two? Can anybody else break down their thoughts on bigs?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                  I am wondering what others think of Augustana's big man assessment. The last three years AU has lost three big men, who I assume lacked talent for the NSIC. Will Hoiseth, Sam Mayer and Matt Heitmann all 6'9" all gone. This coming season Lucas Walford 6'8" and Marcus Asmus 6'7" look solid. That leaves Bodey Behrends 6'9" and Andy Kerkman 6'8" and strong bodied. Bodey was redshirted and Kerkman played sparingly. Was there injuries to those two? Can anybody else break down their thoughts on bigs?
                  I don't know anything about any of them but it's encouraging as a fan knowing your team has size. I recall Billeter mentioning in one of his interviews that it had become easier to recruit bigs with Jansen exiting; or something to that effect.

Comment

Correct. Hoiseth and Mayer in particular were never going to get substantial minutes at Augie. I remember the coaches having high hopes for Heitmann, but his was departure was due to a lack of interest in basketball. If I remember correctly, he ended up transferring to Iowa State to study art or architecture or something along those lines and doesn't play basketball. Augieholic can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The Vikes will definitely need one of the four you mentioned to be a "next level" type of kid. Walford seems like the highest likelihood of making that jump, but his minutes decreased for whatever reason as the season went on, so maybe that's not as likely as it would seem. Asmus is capable of having big games (like his 26 points, 10 boards against MSU-Moorhead this year), but will need to be more consistent if he wants to finish out his career as a key player. Behrends and Kerkman will be the two question marks that the Vikes will really need to see step up this offseason. Polar opposites, as Behrends is long and lanky and more of a skill/finesse player from what I've heard and Kerkman is a beast (basically a slightly smaller version of Mike Klepatz size-wise) with noticeably less offensive polish.

A mix of those four will certainly be interesting and the potential is there, but I won't be sad if the Vikes find another Busack-esque forward somehow this offseason. No idea how that would come together, but it wouldn't be the worst thing ever. That being said, there's reason to be optimistic with this current big man crew as it stands. Especially if at least one of them can make a big jump from contributor to game-changer.

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                    I don't know anything about any of them but it's encouraging as a fan knowing your team has size. I recall Billeter mentioning in one of his interviews that it had become easier to recruit bigs with Jansen exiting; or something to that effect.
                    He has said before that basically after Jansen, Schilling, and Huisken's freshman year, it was tough to convince bigs of a similar caliber to come in knowing they'd probably ride the bench for a minimum of 2, if not 3, years before they got real playing time. It wasn't until Jansen and Schilling were seniors that those higher-level bigs (like Walford, who held offers from nearly every NSIC school) were willing to commit.

Comment

Billeter told me that he hopes/expects to bring another Busack-like transfer aboard for next year.

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                      Correct. Hoiseth and Mayer in particular were never going to get substantial minutes at Augie. I remember the coaches having high hopes for Heitmann, but his was departure was due to a lack of interest in basketball. If I remember correctly, he ended up transferring to Iowa State to study art or architecture or something along those lines and doesn't play basketball. Augieholic can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The Vikes will definitely need one of the four you mentioned to be a "next level" type of kid. Walford seems like the highest likelihood of making that jump, but his minutes decreased for whatever reason as the season went on, so maybe that's not as likely as it would seem. Asmus is capable of having big games (like his 26 points, 10 boards against MSU-Moorhead this year), but will need to be more consistent if he wants to finish out his career as a key player. Behrends and Kerkman will be the two question marks that the Vikes will really need to see step up this offseason. Polar opposites, as Behrends is long and lanky and more of a skill/finesse player from what I've heard and Kerkman is a beast (basically a slightly smaller version of Mike Klepatz size-wise) with noticeably less offensive polish.

A mix of those four will certainly be interesting and the potential is there, but I won't be sad if the Vikes find another Busack-esque forward somehow this offseason. No idea how that would come together, but it wouldn't be the worst thing ever. That being said, there's reason to be optimistic with this current big man crew as it stands. Especially if at least one of them can make a big jump from contributor to game-changer.

He has said before that basically after Jansen, Schilling, and Huisken's freshman year, it was tough to convince bigs of a similar caliber to come in knowing they'd probably ride the bench for a minimum of 2, if not 3, years before they got real playing time. It wasn't until Jansen and Schilling were seniors that those higher-level bigs (like Walford, who held offers from nearly every NSIC school) were willing to commit.

Comment

Originally posted by vikesfan View Post
                        Billeter told me that he hopes/expects to bring another Busack-like transfer aboard for next year.
                        My issue with the current crop of Augie big men is the lack of offensive variety. It would be like a band of only capable drummers or a crew of highly skilled operatives who are merely fast but not furious. Both would provide temporary satisfaction but ultimately leave you saying "meh, that would have been better if...."

Asmus and Walford have shown they are above average at catching a bloody crisp pass from Spencer and finishing at the hoop while also posessing juice on the offensive boards. Kerkman's "I was the biggest kid (at 6'6 tops) in the smallest class" version of bully ball seems to extend no further than 5 feet away from the hoop and Behrends is a total unknown in the college game. Not a single one has shown a consistent jumper or FT stroke. To paraphrase the beyond reproach Wu Tang Clan Financial "you need to diversify your bigs Tom"

Defensively Walford can protect the paint like few people his age but his sleight frame will continue to be an issue. Asmus is consistently inconsistent at best. Kerkman is too lead footed to guard anyone but 5s. Behrends projects to be a difference maker on this end but it will cost him several nights of foul trouble to arrive at that result.

Asmus is a senior so unless something drastic happens we know who he is, but Walford/Kerkman still have plenty of time to make the leap but based on this year it's still a question of if, not when.

All of this is to say what Texas Tom already knows.... it's time to fire up the transfer machine. They need at least one production ready player who can defend (ideally far better than Busack) 4s and small 5s, rebound, and make a shot consistently outside of 15 feet.

That's a lot to ask, but the wing and backcourt slots filled by Spenny/Warren/Schaefer, with Cartwright and a hopefully healthy Jansen on deck, are on par with any group in the league outside of preseason #1 St Cloud.
                        Last edited by Augieholic; 04-20-2017, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Comment

Hopefully solidifies Vikings line up for 2017-2018 Adam Dykstra. As I live in Fremont, I've watched him play twice. He was a big dog in a small kennel playing in a smaller class of BB in NE. Still he was dominate with a good size frame and a good shooter. http://dataomaha.com/media/sports/20.../all-nebraska/
                            Last edited by vikingfaithful; 04-21-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

More on Dykman. http://fremonttribune.com/sports/hig...1eb93851e.html

Comment

Saw on Twitter that Walford is transferring to St. John's. That's unfortunate. Makes me glad we got Dykman recently. Hoping he is ready to fill that role Walford would've filled over the next three years after not getting many in-game minutes at SDSU. But I have heard good things, which is encouraging.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X