Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

At the under 16 TO it's Augie 15 Montevallo 11 and John Warren 11. Adam Dykman picked up two quick fouls so that could be a point of pain for Augie throughout the night.

Comment

Augie up 45-35 at the half. 16 for Warren, 11 for Schaefer, amd 4pts-11ast from Jordan Spencer.

Comment

Augie up 64-51 at the under 12. All of the big men are in quasi foul trouble so this should be a white knuckle ride home.

Comment

Augie completes the weekend sweep 88-69. John Warren goes for 21pts on 8-8FG and 5-5 3pg, while Spencer gets 14pts-15ast, and Schaefer has 17pts on 5-7 3pt. Augie will go as far as those three will take them as the 4 frontcourt pieces are a work in progress. Having said that 2-0 is 2-0. Let's dance.

Comment

Augie was 16-30 behind the arc (Steven and John were 10-12) John Warren did not miss tonight, 8-8 and Jordan double-doubled with 14 points and 15 assists. Lots of sloppy play but the team has potential this year. Two early wins will go a long way and there's a lot of time for this team to improve as the season goes on.

Augie-88 Montevalloh well, better luck next time-69

Comment

Quick takeaways:

-We can still shoot lights out this season. Probably not every night, but when the Vikes are hot, they can't be stopped.

-Post players need to clean up their defense and not give up second chance points. That being said, Montevallo did have some post players who were more athletic than the average Northern Sun post. And Augie's big men looked very capable on the offensive end with virtually nobody on this team afraid to shoot the 3.

-Jordan Spencer's vision of the offense is outstanding. He not only finds the open guy, but helps create situations where the man is open when he splits the defense.

-If John Warren's offensive/defensive onslaught continues he could be all-conference 1st team. Truly remarkable showings these past two nights

-Jameson Bryan, I see you dawg, I see you.

-Augie's looks promising, this might be not the rebuilding year it appeared to be

Comment

Wasn't able to watch both games live this weekend, just bits and pieces, but USI had the On Demand option so I was able to catch up during some downtime yesterday.

Lots of good and a handful of areas of concern, but overall I'm glad the Vikes came away with two wins, particularly when going up against a traditionally strong team on Friday night. Of course, several of USI's message board fans (or anti-fans) would dispute that assessment, but, in terms of wins and losses, USI has been a better-than-average team year-in and year-out. Glad the Vikes pulled that one out.

A couple of good analyses already, so I'll only make this 14 paragraphs long instead of 28. A couple of things that stood out to me:

1) So far, John Warren has played like we Augie fans have hoped he would. He was unstoppable on Saturday night in particular (literally, as he was 8-8 from the field, 5-5 from three), and just looked more confident with the ball than I've ever seen him look. Along with a seemingly newfound confidence in his jumper, he even just seemed more comfortable dribbling around defenders and making moves to the basket. If he can keep that up all season, it's really encouraging.

2) Jordan Spencer had FIFTEEN assists on Saturday night. That's many assists. 14 points, 15 assists, and 4 boards is a good stat line for a point guard. 21 total assists in the first two games for an average of 10.5 assists per game to start the year. Obviously those numbers won't always be sustainable (it's not every day you have one guy go 8-8 from the field and another, Steven Schaefer, go 5-7 from three), but I'm excited to see him try to sustain those numbers.

3) I was pleasantly surprised by Jamison Bryan's gameplay, particularly toward the end of the closer, more intense game on Friday night. Jamison didn't have a ton of hype coming out of high school (wasn't a "top 15" type of kid in the Minnesota high school player rankings or anything along those lines), but he seemed to know his role this weekend and executed well. For it being the first game of his career with no exhibitions or anything, I thought he performed admirably. He and Cartwright both hit some clutch shots on Friday night and put in good minutes on Saturday night. Looking forward to seeing them develop this season.

4) Other than Marcus Asmus's big (and very important) double-double on Friday night, our bigs struggled a bit. The main issue was foul trouble. At one point on Saturday night, with still 12 or 13 minutes to go in the game I think, all four of our key bigs had 3 or more fouls. That's not a great situation to be in. It's clear some of it is figuring out roles (particularly with Dykman and a little bit with Bodey Behrends). Some of it is just a matter of being tough and making smart plays with the ball. I'm not necessarily worried, but I'm hoping we see some improvement with some of these upcoming non-conference games before we head into conference play. Also, Dykman is athletic and will probably have many dunks during his career.

5) Overall, it's a great way to start the season. If we have an off shooting night, I could see things getting ugly against teams like SMSU, Northern, etc., but I'm more optimistic than I'd feared I would be, especially after seeing Warren take his game up a notch or two from last year.

On a side note, the Vikes had three players named to the Small College Basketball Hall of Fame Classic All-Tournament Team (the most of any team in the tournament, I believe): Jordan Spencer, Marcus Asmus, and John Warren. Congrats fellas.

(Ha...only 9 paragraphs. I'm getting lazy.)
                Last edited by MrAugustana; 11-06-2017, 03:11 PM. Reason: left out a word

Comment

Where is the gold in those Augie uniforms? Was that thrown out the window too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ole. View Post
                    Looks like Jansen is on the end of the bench in street clothes.
                    Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                    I believe he had a another set back with his bum hip and is out a while
                    Had heard that might be the case but was hoping it wasn't anything serious. That's disappointing news. Would love to see what it looks like to have him healthy for once.

Comment

Two years ago tonight the Augustana Nation was reveling in the glory of this moment:

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/st...27549949472769

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                        Two years ago tonight the Augustana Nation was reveling in the glory of this moment:

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/st...27549949472769
                        What a great memory seeing Iowa fans arms crossed and stunned.

Comment

All five (that I'm aware of) 2018 signings are in:

I was going to comment on how this 2018 class may be the most excited I've been for a recruiting class since the Schilling/Jansen/Huisken class of 2012. Then I realized that I probably hyped up our 2016 class pretty high too, and I might get called out for that.

The 2016 class was hugely promising--multiple D1-offered Levi Jansen and three bigs who, on paper, were very solid D2 "gets." Unfortunately, Jansen has been hampered with injuries since arriving at Augie (including not even being suited up so far this season) and Walford transferred to St. John's in Minnesota. You'd think that would teach me a lesson about over-hyping recruiting classes, but it's hard not to get excited about this 2018 group, even with that in mind.

Really look forward to seeing these guys as Vikings in the future. There's always the chance some guys won't be as good as hoped, may deal with injuries, may not feel like Augie is the right fit, etc., but if things go well, I think this is going to be a special group, with a core that could take the Vikes very far in a few years.

Then again, maybe I'm just doing an NSU4LIFE impression and getting overly optimistic. :)
                          Last edited by MrAugustana; 11-08-2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            Three of the five (that I'm aware of) signings are in:

The last two are Flandreau's Dylan LeBrun and St. Cloud Cathedral's Michael Schaefer. I'd assume those will be coming in shortly.

I was going to comment on how this 2018 class may be the most excited I've been for a recruiting class since the Schilling/Jansen/Huisken class of 2012. Then I realized that I probably hyped up our 2016 class pretty high too, and I might get called out for that.

The 2016 class was hugely promising--multiple D1-offered Levi Jansen and three bigs who, on paper, were very solid D2 "gets." Unfortunately, Jansen has been hampered with injuries since arriving at Augie (including not even being suited up so far this season) and Walford transferred to St. John's in Minnesota. You'd think that would teach me a lesson about over-hyping recruiting classes, but it's hard not to get excited about this 2018 group, even with that in mind.

Really look forward to seeing these guys as Vikings in the future. There's always the chance some guys won't be as good as hoped, may deal with injuries, may not feel like Augie is the right fit, etc., but if things go well, I think this is going to be a special group, with a core that could take the Vikes very far in a few years.

Then again, maybe I'm just doing an NSU4LIFE impression and getting overly optimistic. :)
                            It's all fun and games until that moment when you stop playing games and realize the season is over with nothing to show for it and depression sets in....so I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                              It's all fun and games until that moment when you stop playing games and realize the season is over with nothing to show for it and depression sets in....so I've heard.
                              That's why I'm so excited for this 2018 class. Once they're in, we won't have to worry about that for 3-4 years.

(Kidding.)

Comment

Here's the full recruiting story from the GoAugie site:

http://goaugie.com/news/2017/11/8/me...gning-day.aspx

Men's Basketball Inks Five on Signing Day

Augustana head men's basketball coach Tom Billeter announced the addition of five student-athletes to the incoming freshman class of 2018, all of which signed a National Letter of Intent, indicating their plans to enroll at Augustana and complete on the Vikings men's basketball team.

"This may be as talented of a group that we've signed at Augie in a very long time, The future of our program has maybe never looked better," Billeter said. "We truly expect these five freshman to accomplish great things in our program and to hear about their accolades for a very long time. I also need to mention the great work done by my staff; Collin Authier, Chad Hetterman and Cade Stackpool, our graduate assistant. The hours put in this year were quite numerous, and we were definitely rewarded for our had work!"

His senior season still ahead of him, Hanson already accumulated an impressive amount of accolades at Sioux Valley High School. He earned a pair of all-conference nods and all-Brookings Register team honors as a junior, when the Cossacks posted a 19-3 record and advanced to the state tournament. A team captain for the upcoming season, Hanson averaged 12.0 points and 8 rebounds per game as a junior, setting the school's single-season record with a .676 field goal percentage in the process.

Hanson began contributing to the team as a sophomore, when the Cossacks posted a 14-6 record, earning him all-conference honors in the process.

While still undecided on a major, Hanson knows that he wants to make a difference in helping others when he graduates.

Billeter on Hanson
                                "Trevor is an excellent post for our system. He can score in the paint, can pick and pop, as a very good basketball IQ, and we expect him to develop into an excellent rebounder. He won a lot of games in high school, and we feel fortunate to have him at Augustana. "

A standout on and off the court, Lebrun averaged more than 20 points per game in each of the last three seasons, setting school's all-time scoring record in the process at 1,519 points, with still a season to add to the total.

An all-conference and all-Brookings Register team performer in all three seasons, all as a starter, he added Argus Leader Second Five honors as a sophomore.

Off the court, this three-time honor roll selection and two-year member of the National Honor Society also participates in 'Character on Track' in his community. LeBrun plans on majoring in business at Augustana.

Billeter on LeBrun
                                "We recruited Dylan for the last few years. He's a very long young man who can handle the ball, gets to the basket, has a good mind for the game and can shoot the three. He rebounds and is a very tough young man. We expect him to continue his development into a very good defender. Again, he really fits what we do in our program."

In his lone season at Vermillion High School, Plitzuweit led the Tanagers to a 17-4 record and a conference title. He averaged 23.6 points 6.7 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.1 steals per game as a point guard, earning him conference MVP honors and a first team all-state nod.

The son of a coach and an incoming team captain, Plitzuweit remains undecided about a major, but would like to play professionally and someday become an athletic director.

Billeter on Plitzuweit
                                "We identified AJ very early in the recruiting process as a young man who could play both guard positions, and would be able to score from either one, he'll be a great player in our system. He has a tremendous basketball IQ, is a touch competitor and has grown up around the game."

A two-time all-conference performer at St. Cloud Cathedral High School, Schaefer's Crusaders posted a combined record of 48-14 in his two seasons on the team. As a team MVP in his junior season, he averaged a double-double with 21.5 points and 10.0 rebounds per game, adding 2.5 assists for a team that won its conference and section before finishing fourth at the state tournament.

In the process of the team's run in 2016-17, Schaefer set school single-season records with 708 points, 107 offensive rebounds and 186 free throws made, which garnered him conference MVP and all-area nods on top of his all-conference selection.

Schaefer averaged 18.3 points and 8.0 rebounds as a sophomore, as the Crusaders earned a second place finish in the sub-sections and a Section 6AA academic team championship.

Undecided about a major, Schaefer does know that he wants to stay close to the game in some way or another for as long as he possibly can.

Billeter on Schaefer
                                "Michael is a perfect fit in our system. He's a long and very skilled player who can really shoot the ball. He's very competitive, and is always in the gym working on his game. He's another very good fit for our system and is a very complete player."

A two-year letterwinner returning starter at Jordan High School, Tiedman earned minutes off the bench as a freshman, and then broke out as a sophomore, when he averaged 12.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game, earning him the first of two straight first team all-conference nods.

In 2016-17 as a junior, Tiedman led the team to conference and sub-section titles averaging 18.1 points 7.0 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game, shooting 59 percent from the field overall and 40 percent from 3-point range.

Tiedman plans on majoring in accounting at Augustana, and hopes to own his own accounting business someday.

Billeter on Tiedman
                                "Eric is a very versatile young man who we feel has a chance to play several positions. He plays very hard and is a very good defender. He can score in a wide variety of ways and is a young man with a very high ceiling."

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X