Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Longtime reader, first-time poster here.

Resurrecting a (relatively) old subject, but has anything more come out about the AD's resignation? This always seemed odd to me. The timing, in the middle of basketball season. No announced successor. Did Slade move on to another job? Just didn't seem how these kinds of things, especially at the AD level, are usually handled.

Is there something going on at Augustana those of us a time zone or two away aren't aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
      Longtime reader, first-time poster here.

Resurrecting a (relatively) old subject, but has anything more come out about the AD's resignation? This always seemed odd to me. The timing, in the middle of basketball season. No announced successor. Did Slade move on to another job? Just didn't seem how these kinds of things, especially at the AD level, are usually handled.

Is there something going on at Augustana those of us a time zone or two away aren't aware of?
      Great questions. I would think some Sherlock Holmquist would be investigating this since inquiring minds want to know. I've heard rumors but no one seems to be posting about them. Are they waiting until after basketball season to come out?

Comment

Augustana recruit Dylan Lebrun scores his 2000 high school point. If you are an Augie men's basketball fan next seasons incoming freshmen class looks to be very good. https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...-17/348261002/

Comment

In the tragic event that the Vikes are defeated tonight and Jordan Spencer has played his last game in an Augie jersey, here's a solid KSFY story on his career as a Viking:

http://www.ksfy.com/content/sports/A...474263073.html

Comment

Curious I am, as to the fall of this AU from last season? Graduated Huisken, Busack and Saugstad. Adam Dykman will be much better in the coming years, he just was not ready to fill the shoes of the 5th year senior Mike Busack. I think Mike's one year at AU was his favorite college season as the arena is pictured as the back drop on his twitter account. MrAugustana and Augieholic could you pontificate on the changes from last season to now.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              Curious I am, as to the fall of this AU from last season? Graduated Huisken, Busack and Saugstad. Adam Dykman will be much better in the coming years, he just was not ready to fill the shoes of the 5th year senior Mike Busack. I think Mike's one year at AU was his favorite college season as the arena is pictured as the back drop on his twitter account. MrAugustana and Augieholic could you pontificate on the changes from last season to now.
              It only takes one word to sum up the difference between last year's squad and this year's: defense. Last year's squad started Beyer-Huisken-Warren who were/are "plus" defenders that could cover for "minus" defenders like Busack/Spencer. Basically Augie had at least 2 or 3 solid defenders on the floor at most times and was able force stops at an adequate clip.

This year's team has the worst defensive rating since the 2013-14 team which was almost exclusively underclassmen. The driving force behind that decline is that the only two guys who have proven trustworthy defensively are Warren and Jameson Bryan(11mpg). Spencer/Schaefer/Asmus/Dykman/Cartwright are wildly inconsistent from night to night and Billeter has adapted by throwing out a variety of zones which have produced mixed results. Throughout the season Augustana's best defense has been the cliche "good offense" by cranking up the tempo and turning the game into a shooting contest.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                Augieholic is obviously smarter than me, so I won't disagree with his analysis. I will mention that inconsistency was problematic too. Too many weekends had guys playing incredible games one night and then not even showing up for more than 6-8 points (if that) the next night. I'm not sure what should've been done about that, but hopefully the coaches can figure it out this offseason and have next year's squad ready to bring it night in and night out. In those games when everybody is firing on all cylinders, we are really tough to stop. But those times when a couple of guys are having an off night, we are clearly far from a top contender. I would love to see more consistency from the returners next year.

Comment

Although this was originally posted in the "Chick Stuff" thread a couple of nights ago, I just wanted to mention that this is an astounding stat:

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                  Ever the fashionista, Dave has adopted the track jacket in recent years. 29 years, 600 wins, and now 1 regular season title!!

Comment

Bummer of a way to end the season. I don't particularly enjoy losing to SMSU. Especially not in back-to-back years when it comes to the NSIC tournament.

I feel like I'm just repeating myself from after the 2013-14 season, but I think the future is very bright for the Vikings. If Dykman and Cartwright continue to improve this summer, and at least a couple of the incoming freshmen make the impact they have the potential to make, I think we are going to be a tough team to beat within a couple of years. Next year may still present some hiccups, but I'm very excited for what the future holds.

Congrats to the graduating seniors. Although this year didn't go the way they had hoped I'd imagine, they still graduate as National Champions, which is something not very many seniors can say each year. All the best to them. I won't be shocked if Jordan Spencer is playing a little pro ball in Europe next season. Should be fun to see how that turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                      I won't be shocked if Jordan Spencer is playing a little pro ball in Europe next season. Should be fun to see how that turns out.
                      Pretty neat that some of his family got to see his last few games in person.

Comment

Spencer, Schaefer and Asmus graduate and will always be known as National Champions. How many D2 guys can say they walked into a power 5, D1 school in front of over 12000 and walk away victories. Next season 5 highly acclaimed freshmen will hit the hardwood and start a new chapter in AU basketball Will be fun as always.

Comment

VERY interesting article by Matt Zimmer about the future of the Summit.

I think that they will eventually lose Ft. Wayne.

Kansas City wants back in- but do they want KC?

UNC, the old NCC foe, is often mentioned. But Greeley seems to look west instead of east. It would be nice to have another football and baseball school to add.

Augie is mentioned. So is MSU, UMD and SCSU. But most likely would be Augie.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ion/389074002/

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

UNC, the old NCC foe, is often mentioned. But Greeley seems to look west instead of east. It would be nice to have another football and baseball school to add.

They were talking about this on a local sports show. The host seemed to think no one in the Summit wants Augie, which to me made him feel threatened that the Bison may fall even further in the hoops standings.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

At this point, I kind of just want them to decide one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                                At this point, I kind of just want them to decide one way or the other.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X