X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Dan Jansen is not a high jumper but, then again he is a legitimate 6'9"

Whether he got offers or not, nice to have a guy who was looked at by good D1 schools.

With a great class coming in and the Navy transfer Tyler Riemersma at 6'8" 215lbs. Tyler played in 28 games as a freshman, which hopefully means he will be a good player immediately. I'm thinking the Vik's will be much improved this upcoming season. I wonder what our 2 AU basketball guru's MrAugustana and Augieholic think of the Vikings 18/19 season prospective?
    Surprisingly (even to myself), I haven't put a ton of time into thinking about what's going to happen this upcoming season. I'd love to think some of our new incoming talent will outweigh our outgoing talent, but we lost a few pretty good players.

I get the feeling we are still 1-2 years away from making some serious noise in the conference again, but I will be very happy if this year's team proves me wrong. I think a lot will depend on how the duo of Dykman and Riemersma connect on the court and how dynamic that 1-2 combo can be when it comes to just getting a strong basket when we need a basket. And if we don't have at least one or two of the freshmen really make an impact (my money is on Plitzuweit and Schaefer, but I'm also not a gambling man), it's going to be another more-average-than-not type of season. I think one of the most important pieces of the puzzle is whether Cartwright can play consistently at the level he showed flashes of around the mid-season point last year, or if he will have another year of fading in and out. I appreciated his fearlessness when it came to shooting and not hesitating to pull the trigger whether it was a game-winning/game-tying attempt or the first shot of the game, but I'd love to see more consistency from him night in and night out this year.

In general, I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up anywhere between 16-14 to 20-8. Anything better than that and I will be extra happy (as well as extremely excited for the future).

But again, those are just quick thoughts without my usual extensive over-consideration. I'm turning into Toucan and getting too distracted by life these days to give much extra thought to basketball season. :)

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      Surprisingly (even to myself), I haven't put a ton of time into thinking about what's going to happen this upcoming season. I'd love to think some of our new incoming talent will outweigh our outgoing talent, but we lost a few pretty good players.

I get the feeling we are still 1-2 years away from making some serious noise in the conference again, but I will be very happy if this year's team proves me wrong. I think a lot will depend on how the duo of Dykman and Riemersma connect on the court and how dynamic that 1-2 combo can be when it comes to just getting a strong basket when we need a basket. And if we don't have at least one or two of the freshmen really make an impact (my money is on Plitzuweit and Schaefer, but I'm also not a gambling man), it's going to be another more-average-than-not type of season. I think one of the most important pieces of the puzzle is whether Cartwright can play consistently at the level he showed flashes of around the mid-season point last year, or if he will have another year of fading in and out. I appreciated his fearlessness when it came to shooting and not hesitating to pull the trigger whether it was a game-winning/game-tying attempt or the first shot of the game, but I'd love to see more consistency from him night in and night out this year.

In general, I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up anywhere between 16-14 to 20-8. Anything better than that and I will be extra happy (as well as extremely excited for the future).

But again, those are just quick thoughts without my usual extensive over-consideration. I'm turning into Toucan and getting too distracted by life these days to give much extra thought to basketball season. :)
      Thanks MrA. Must say that I am excited to see all this new talent on the Hardwood. I'll go with 19-9 and getting stronger as the season progresses!

Comment

I'm not quite as optimistic (but always hopeful). We lost the top four scorers from a team that barely finished above .500. I think Cartwright is the real deal and poised for some high-scoring games, and Dykman's athleticism wasn't taken full advantage of. The freshmen, especially Plitzuweit, look promising, but it's asking a lot for an improved record with such a young team. Not a senior among them.

Comment

Comment

AugieMensBball
            @AugieMensBball
            2h2 hours ago
            More
            Good Luck to @Saug13! As he starts a new challenge! Austin is a 2017 graduate from @GoAugie and part of our basketball family. Today is his first day of Medical School! #WeAreAu #buildingchampions

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              With a great class coming in and the Navy transfer Tyler Riemersma at 6'8" 215lbs. Tyler played in 28 games as a freshman, which hopefully means he will be a good player immediately. I'm thinking the Vik's will be much improved this upcoming season. I wonder what our 2 AU basketball guru's MrAugustana and Augieholic think of the Vikings 18/19 season prospective?
              As currently constructed I think this team wins 8-12 games. It will be extremely funstrating to watch these guys learn how to compete together but Texas Tom has proven multiple times he can develop talent with the best of D2 coaches.

A "top tier" program like Augie undergoing a youth movement of this magnitude is almost without precedent. Mankato and St Cloud usually reload with D1 transfers while SMSU and Northern typically dont have much turnover so their classes stay intact and prevent large overhauls.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                As currently constructed I think this team wins 8-12 games. It will be extremely funstrating to watch these guys learn how to compete together but Texas Tom has proven multiple times he can develop talent with the best of D2 coaches.

A "top tier" program like Augie undergoing a youth movement of this magnitude is almost without precedent. Mankato is usually the only school in the league who reloads with D1 transfers while SMSU and Northern typically dont have much turnover so their classes stay intact and prevent large overhauls.
                There, I fixed it for you. :)

Comment

A "top tier" program like Augie undergoing a youth movement of this magnitude is almost without precedent. Mankato and St Cloud usually reload with D1 transfers while SMSU and Northern typically dont have much turnover so their classes stay intact and prevent large overhauls.
                  How the mighty have fallen I guess when Winona doesn't get a mention. Justified but we are on the serious mend.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                    There, I fixed it for you. :)
                    Breaking: SCSU booster no longer believes program is top tier. Is a staff shakeup in the offing?? Stay tuned for more after this commercial.

Comment

I'm not quite sure about that...

SMSU goes through youth movements too. Look back at 2014-15 when the Mustangs won 12 games....the team had three seniors, but the rest of the team was freshmen and sophomores. That was the first year in the program for Bruggeman, Kirk, Moen and Schafer. Or with 12 wins in 2010-11, the team had Roehl and Huseby as seniors, but the rest of the core was sophomores (Miller, West) and freshmen (Zager, Birch, Smith).

It seems to be a trend in how Bigler recruits, going in 4/5-year cycles. I would guess we're due for another rebuilding year soon. And we've actually had a number of guys transfer out.
                      Last edited by Stanger86; 07-19-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Congrats to Augie's Jordan Spencer for signing a contract with his hometown professional team in the UK.

Here's a pretty cool video they put together to welcome him home:

Comment

• http://bit.ly/2uMY2JE | #WeAreAU | #BuildingChampions

Comment

The Grand Forks Herald's Kolpack thinks Augie will go D1.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...-summit-league

Comment

It really does make a lot of sense....outside of football.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                                The Grand Forks Herald's Kolpack thinks Augie will go D1.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...-summit-league
                                At this point, I just want the stinkin' decision to get made one way or the other. If we stay D2 and I have to keep schlubbin' around with all of you schlubs, great. If we go D1 and we get to start beating USD and SDSU and making their fans lose their minds with dismay, that would bring me great joy as well. I just want the speculation to be put to rest either way.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X