Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    At this point, I just want the stinkin' decision to get made one way or the other. If we stay D2 and I have to keep schlubbin' around with all of you schlubs, great. If we go D1 and we get to start beating USD and SDSU and making their fans lose their minds with dismay, that would bring me great joy as well. I just want the speculation to be put to rest either way.
    Or you spend the first 5 years of Di getting your faces beat in by teams who already have that level of talent. :)

Comment

At this point, I just want the stinkin' decision to get made one way or the other. If we stay D2 and I have to keep schlubbin' around with all of you schlubs, great. If we go D1 and we get to start beating USD and SDSU and making their fans lose their minds with dismay, that would bring me great joy as well. I just want the speculation to be put to rest either way.
      I agree. Augie's administration needs to come out with some kind of comment one way or the other, either tamping things down or acknowledging serious consideration. And preferably before Krabbenhoft's Christmas projection. That would mean at least four more months of speculation (most of it baseless but always entertaining, which is pretty much the point of message board chatter, come to think of it).

Comment

Just saw on twitter that Bennett Otto committed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swisher View Post
          Just saw on twitter that Bennett Otto committed.

Sweet. Don't know much about him, but he appears to be a pretty good athlete. Played for the top Howard Pulley team this summer for AAU. And most of his Hudl highlights are of him playing quarterback for his high school team, which is interesting. Looking forward to seeing what he can do as a Viking after this season.
          Last edited by MrAugustana; 08-01-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

6'4 SG from Champlin Park HS

Texas Tom racking up the wings, hopefully Tom Thibodeau takes notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
              6'4 SG from Champlin Park HS

Texas Tom racking up the wings, hopefully Tom Thibodeau takes notice.
              From the little I know about him, he is a 3&D guy. Not going to fill up the stat sheet by any means but will certainly fill a role.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                From the little I know about him, he is a 3&D guy. Not going to fill up the stat sheet by any means but will certainly fill a role.
                I'm perfectly fine with that (the Vikes have a couple of guys I'm guessing they'll be relying on for high volume scoring anyway). That being said, it seems crazy to me that a kid who averaged 17 ppg, 3.5 assists per game and 3.5 rebounds per game for one of the more competitive Twin Cities schools in a highly competitive conference only had a basketball offer from Augie. Should be fun to see if he's a bit of a diamond in the rough or something. Of course, a good 3&D player is always going to find minutes somewhere, even if that's the limit of his skill set.

Comment

Got posted in the 2019 Recruiting thread, but Isaac Fink committed to the Vikes late last week. Fink is an already 2,000+ point scorer from Springfield, MN and had offers from Augie, Moorhead, Duluth, St. Cloud, SMSU, USF.

Here are some highlights: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/isaa...EWg/videos.htm

https://twitter.com/streethistory/st...72219645521922

Certainly seems to have a knack for getting the ball in the basket. Looking forward to following Isaac, Bennett Otto, and Matt Wheelock this season before they become Vikings.

Comment

Don't really know where else to put this, but I thought it was interesting. Northstar Hoops did a look back at their 2012 rankings to see how each kid's career shook out. Casey Schilling at #17 was probably the best in the bunch as far as the D2 players went. In my biased opinion, at least. Mike Busack, Kyle Bauman and Tyler Vaughn were a few other good ones from that class.

https://t.co/aPALpODhjK?amp=1

Comment

Does anyone know if John Warren transferred to another school or what he's doing now?

Comment

Augie's official roster has been posted: https://goaugie.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Looks like, along with the expected/discussed players coming in and returning, we've also added a transfer from California named Beau Keeve, as well as handful of other names I don't recognize (I think a few might be walk-ons or players from Augie's JV team).

Also interesting is that Levi Jansen, who I was under the impression had hung up his basketball shoes for good due to injury, is still on the roster. Not sure if he has finally gotten healthy or what, but I would love to see him back at full strength if that's the case. From what I understand, he has basically been injured to a significant degree since arriving at Augie, so Viking fans have never seen him totally healthy. Could be huge to have him back if that's the case, especially for a team that needs any veteran experience it can get.

The only senior on the roster is Carter Rynda, who currently has no stats listed, so my guess is that when it comes to key/impact players, junior Adam Dykman is basically our only upperclass player on the roster. All of our other key returners and incoming players are either freshmen or sophomores. Could be good for us a year or two down the line, but, as Augieholic has predicted, it's pretty clear this could be a very up-and-down year for the Vikes.

That being said, as always, I'm excited for this potentially up-and-down year to get going. We're only a few weeks away from opening day of practice, as crazy as that sounds with school having just started.

Comment

Also interesting is that Levi Jansen, who I was under the impression had hung up his basketball shoes for good due to injury, is still on the roster. Not sure if he has finally gotten healthy or what, but I would love to see him back at full strength if that's the case. From what I understand, he has basically been injured to a significant degree since arriving at Augie, so Viking fans have never seen him totally healthy. Could be huge to have him back if that's the case, especially for a team that needs any veteran experience it can get.
                          Could be a situation like at the U of M, where Jarvis Johnson had to retire due to injury, but the school honored his scholarship and he's still on the roster even though he'll never play.

Comment

Augie's official roster has been posted: https://goaugie.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Looks like, along with the expected/discussed players coming in and returning, we've also added a transfer from California named Beau Keeve, as well as handful of other names I don't recognize (I think a few might be walk-ons or players from Augie's JV team).

The only senior on the roster is Carter Rynda, who currently has no stats listed, so my guess is that when it comes to key/impact players, junior Adam Dykman is basically our only upperclass player on the roster. All of our other key returners and incoming players are either freshmen or sophomores. Could be good for us a year or two down the line, but, as Augieholic has predicted, it's pretty clear this could be a very up-and-down year for the Vikes.

That being said, as always, I'm excited for this potentially up-and-down year to get going. We're only a few weeks away from opening day of practice, as crazy as that sounds with school having just started.
                            JV is definitely something MSU needs to tap into. There's a lot of talent just practicing for 2 seasons

Comment

Cool video/story on 2019 commit Bennett Otto attending homecoming coronation with two fans/friends from his high school who have Down Syndrome: https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...k/89-598109242

Fun to see stories like that for incoming recruits.

On a side note, Otto is having a pretty great year as the starting QB at Champlin Park after missing all of last season with a shoulder (maybe collarbone?) injury. Looking forward to seeing how he performs on the court for CP after football season ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole. View Post
                                Does anyone know if John Warren transferred to another school or what he's doing now?
                                John Warren ended up at Slippery Rock in PSAC....

The coach at SRU has been "transfer" U for some time now...Roster turns over almost every year...they are semi-successful with molding a new lineup every year..but they have a stud back for his senior season, Micah Till...

How good is this John Warren??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X