Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

If football doesn't go, then OJ should. He is a low level D3 coach pretending to be a low level D2 coach. Scholarship league or non scholarship league, I fail to see why he should be around for the transition.

Comment

Does Augie play all games at the older SF arena? Or do they play most at home? What do they draw for a good conf game? Would they play at the new Sanford arena if a div 1 school?

Comment

Originally posted by wsc94 View Post
        Does Augie play all games at the older SF arena? Or do they play most at home? What do they draw for a good conf game? Would they play at the new Sanford arena if a div 1 school?
        Some games are at the Elmen (on campus), others are at the Arena, and some at the Pentagon.

https://goaugie.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1199

Comment

Augieholic's responses would probably be funnier, but I'll give it a shot for the sake of getting you some answers...

Does Augie play all games at the older SF arena? Or do they play most at home?
          All conference games or major non-conference games (like Northwest Missouri State in the 2015-16 season) are at the Arena. But I think it's double-headers only at the Arena. Otherwise most non-conference games are played at the Elmen Center. Regarding laker's point, the only reason the Vikes played at the Pentagon this year is because it was part of the Sanford East/West Challenge, not because it was any sort of "home game" on Augie's schedule.

What do they draw for a good conf game?
          For a good conference game (Mankato, Northern, USF), I'd estimate... 2,800-3,200? For an average conference game? 1,500-2,200? Someone can probably just look that up and make me look like an idiot though, as those numbers could be way off.

Would they play at the new Sanford arena if a div 1 school?
          Depends on which arena you mean. The Pentagon? Hopefully, if they could make sure the schedule works with the Sioux Falls Skyforce schedule. Other than the fact that the Pentagon is roughly 15 minutes away from campus. If you're talking about the Premier Center, that's a tougher sell. From what I understand, the Summit League can't have a tournament participant that plays its home games in the same venue as the conference tournament. And I can't imagine the Summit League would agree to giving up the Premier Center, seeing as they sell a crapload of tickets each year at that tournament.

The location upon jumping to D1 is definitely going to be an interesting situation. It's hard not to imagine we would stay at the Arena unless/until it is torn down, otherwise I would guess we'd shift over to the Pentagon with a slightly irregular schedule. But from what I can tell, the Summit League schedule seems to already be irregular as it is, so maybe that wouldn't even be a major challenge.

If, in 10-20 years, the fan support has grown beyond the walls of the Pentagon, I wouldn't be shocked if the Vikes would try to do a major, major Elmen Center overhaul or build an entirely new on-campus stadium. But we'd have to be drawing, what... 7,000-10,000 a game?... before things would get that crazy, and I find it hard to believe it would happen anytime in the near, near future.

Comment

I'm assuming that the reason why the USF/Southwest games the last weekend of the regular season are at the Elmen is because the Arena is hosting a tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              I'm assuming that the reason why the USF/Southwest games the last weekend of the regular season are at the Elmen is because the Arena is hosting a tournament?
              Sioux Empire Home Show

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                Sioux Empire Home Show
                Makes sense. Probably more drawing power.

Comment

I looked at last years bb attendance. WSC's ave was 649.............ave Div 2, is 642. For a town of 5000 and really small old area towns probably not terrible.

Augie (2400) outdraws USD and SDSU by a couple hundred. Augie outdraws UNO (2366). Omaha is a lot bigger but UNO has not captured the imagination by any shot.

It is a bigger consideration than just attendance but I am more impressed now. I would assume mediocre Div 1 basketball could bring in 4 to 5,000 some games.

If your Dad is Denny Sanford ..........that is more important than adding 1000 folks at your games in Div 1.

Comment

I looked at last years bb attendance. WSC's ave was 649.............ave Div 2, is 642. For a town of 5000 and really small old area towns probably not terrible.

Augie (2400) outdraws USD and SDSU by a couple hundred. Augie outdraws UNO (2366). Omaha is a lot bigger but UNO has not captured the imagination by any shot.

It is a bigger consideration than just attendance but I am more impressed now. I would assume mediocre Div 1 basketball could bring in 4 to 5,000 some games.

If your Dad is Denny Sanford ..........that is more important than adding 1000 folks at your games in Div 1.
                    The argument being made from the anti-Augie Summit League crowd is that the attendance numbers will most likely decrease when, due to the stupid scheduling of the Summit League, the Vikings are playing random games on Wednesday nights or rivalry games over Christmas break, and generally no doubleheaders, which is fairly common for SDSU/USD/etc.

Supposedly the Summit League is going to try to schedule more doubleheaders moving forward, but that's just what I have read, not what I know for certain. I would imagine, at least for a few years, the excitement of renewing a rivalry with the former NCC schools will boost attendance numbers, even if the game is played on a Wednesday night or not a doubleheader.

Comment

Reigning NSIC South Player of the Week and strong NSIC Newcomer of the Year candidate Tyler Riemersma sitting on the Vikings bench in street clothes. That is... concerning. Haven't been watching the entire broadcast, so I haven't heard an explanation yet. If someone else has, please feel free to chime in.

Comment

Chad's Free Press column on Augie leaving........

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor..._medium=social

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          Chad's Free Press column on Augie leaving........

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor..._medium=social
                          His comment at the end is humorously bitter. If Augie at any point during the rest of their time in the Northern Sun is good enough to earn regional berths and tournament appearances, maybe it's actually in the Northern Sun's best interest to let them compete. Racking up another National Championship or even just another Elite Eight appearance for the conference would be better than giving that "spot" to a less deserving team who might not make it to that point at all.

Easy for me to say as an Augie fan, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            His comment at the end is humorously bitter. If Augie at any point during the rest of their time in the Northern Sun is good enough to earn regional berths and tournament appearances, maybe it's actually in the Northern Sun's best interest to let them compete. Racking up another National Championship or even just another Elite Eight appearance for the conference would be better than giving that "spot" to a less deserving team who might not make it to that point at all.

No idea of how politics shake out with something like this, but my gut tells me benefit of doubt may not work in Augie favor on this issue...

Comment

• The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Comment

It's hard to say. I mean you should want to reward the teams that are committed, however, if Augie was at that level of national contender it would showcase the conference to some extent and also, how would that sit with anyone else joining the conference? Would they see that (if they have a long term goal of D1 in mind) and that be a deal breaker? I have no idea. Regardless that its Augie we are talking about, I would personally say reward the committed teams, but I'm only one person and wouldnt be upset if they allowed them to play on.

Is there any prior scenarios like this? I'm sure if they have someone lined up already that they wouldnt hesitate to pit the ban on, if they dont then they wouldn't. Just a totally random guess.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X