Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC vs. in-region foes

So I based my calculations off of the same potentially-faulty scoreboard wscsuperfan was trying to work off of (incorporating a few of the corrections that were posted in the scores and standings threads), so there's a decent chance a couple of these numbers are off. Someone who is more committed or more capable (both highly likely) is more than welcome to correct me if/where I slipped up.

Looking at what I was working with, I'm seeing the following records in crossover games from November 11th through 13th.

NSIC vs. MIAA
    MIAA won with a final tally of 7 NSIC wins to 13 MIAA wins.

The games I had were:

11-11-16
    NWMSU over UIU - MIAA
    Crookston over SW Baptist - NSIC
    Mankato over Pitt State - NSIC
    Lincoln over UMary - MIAA
    Missouri Southern over SCSU - MIAA
    Central Missouri over Duluth - MIAA
    Wayne over Missouri Western - NSIC
    Lindenwood over Bemidji - MIAA

MIAA 5, NSIC 3

11-12-16
    Lincoln over Crookston - MIAA
    Lindenwood over Duluth - MIAA
    Missouri Southern over Mankato - MIAA
    SCSU over Pitt State - NSIC
    Central Missouri over Bemidji - MIAA
    SMSU over Fort Hays State - NSIC
    SW Baptist over UMary - MIAA
    Emporia State over USF - MIAA

MIAA 6, NSIC 2

11-13-16
    NWMSU over Wayne - MIAA
    UIU over Missouri Western - NSIC
    SMSU over Emporia State - NSIC
    Fort Hays over USF - MIAA

MIAA 2, NSIC 2

Final tally - MIAA 13, NSIC 7. Did I miss any games or did I have any mixed up wins/losses?

NSIC vs. GAC
    NSIC tied the GAC with a final tally of 4 games to 4.

11-11-16
    Moorhead over Harding - NSIC
    Henderson State over Minot State - GAC
    Northern over Southern Nazarene - NSIC
    Augustana over Southwestern Oklahoma State - NSIC

NSIC 3, GAC 1

11-12-16
    Augustana over East Central - NSIC
    Harding over Northern - GAC
    Southern Nazarene over Moorhead - GAC
    Southern Arkansas over Minot State - GAC

GAC 3, NSIC 1

Final tally - NSIC 4, GAC 4. Again, if I missed any or mixed up any wins losses and anyone cares to correct me, feel free.

All in all, not the strongest showing from the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (and this doesn't even factor in Concordia St. Paul's three losses down in Puerto Rico). The only NSIC teams to walk away from the weekend with no losses are Augie and SMSU. Augie's games were both against GAC opponents, but East Central was picked to win their conference, so, in theory, they are at this point at least a contender to make the Regional cut.

Overall, the MIAA seems to have played pretty well against us. Since the end of the Regional Tournament last season, I'm pretty sure most people figured the Regional would be hosted by the Bearcats of NWMSU, and so far they haven't given us any reason to double back on that line of thought. Still, it's early. Give the Mavericks of Mankato a little more time to gel and they might contend. Or other NSIC schools might step up as the season rolls on. Not worth judging the entire season on the first 2 or 3 games of the year, but since there won't be a ton more cross-conference match-ups, I figured it would be worth a closer look.

Really curious as to how this Thursday's match-up between the Justin Pittses and the Vikings will go. I could see NWMSU winning by 25 and I could see Augie keeping it close. Neither would surprise me at all.

Then again, the Vikes have to take down the rival Vikes of Valley City State tonight before they start worrying about NWMSU.

Re: NSIC vs. in-region foes

Good stuff. I would add that the MIAA went 6-2 against the GAC. So that's a combined strong showing of 19-9 against other region teams.

Hard to know for sure, but I felt like Minnnesota State Mankato and Missouri Southern were pretty tight for perhaps the last regional spot last season. And Mankato won the opening weekend head to head with Southern in 2015, which gave them an important advantage. So, I guess you don't know at this point which of these games might provide an important edge later. I do know that the 2-0 start held by eight MIAA teams right now should mean something later.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
      Good stuff. I would add that the MIAA went 6-2 against the GAC. So that's a combined strong showing of 19-9 against other region teams.

Hard to know for sure, but I felt like Minnnesota State Mankato and Missouri Southern were pretty tight for perhaps the last regional spot last season. And Mankato won the opening weekend head to head with Southern in 2015, which gave them an important advantage. So, I guess you don't know at this point which of these games might provide an important edge later. I do know that the 2-0 start held by eight MIAA teams right now should mean something later.
      I was wondering how they fared against the GAC but didn't want to devote any more time to looking it up. Definitely an impressive overall effort from the MIAA so far.

This is the part where some NSIC fans might jump in and say "well so many teams in the NSIC are drastically different, they probably just need time to gel," but from what I understand, the GAC and MIAA are have several teams with rosters full of transfers, so it's not like they aren't trying to do the same thing.

I wouldn't be shocked if these early games prove to be a deciding factor in whether one conference gets 3-4 teams in instead of 2-3 teams in come Regional time. Would've liked to see a stronger NSIC showing with at least a few more wins, but that's how it goes. Some years one conference is just noticeably stronger than the others.

Really, really curious as to how Thursday night's game will go between NWMSU and Augie. The Bearcats won two games very comfortably this weekend and probably got some decent rest. Augie, on the other hand, will be playing its 4th game in 6 days (played Friday, a tough one Saturday, a tougher one than I'd've liked last night and they take on the Justin Pittses this Thursday). Not exactly the best schedule when your only hope of winning is limiting Pitts to 20-ish points and making a bunch of your threes--two things that are tough to do if you're worn-out.

Hopefully they get some rest over the next two days and can come out ready to play on Thursday. As I've already mentioned, if it's a 7 point loss for the Vikes, I won't be shocked and if it's a 24 point loss for the Vikes, I equally won't be shocked. The only thing that would really surprise me is if we pull out the win. NWMSU looks really good, as expected. Even if we do get better as the year goes on, I don't feel like we're ready to take down the Bearcats at this stage of the season. But I certainly won't complain if I'm wrong. :)

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        I was wondering how they fared against the GAC but didn't want to devote any more time to looking it up. Definitely an impressive overall effort from the MIAA so far.

This is the part where some NSIC fans might jump in and say "well so many teams in the NSIC are drastically different, they probably just need time to gel," but from what I understand, the GAC and MIAA are have several teams with rosters full of transfers, so it's not like they aren't trying to do the same thing.

I wouldn't be shocked if these early games prove to be a deciding factor in whether one conference gets 3-4 teams in instead of 2-3 teams in come Regional time. Would've liked to see a stronger NSIC showing with at least a few more wins, but that's how it goes. Some years one conference is just noticeably stronger than the others.

Really, really curious as to how Thursday night's game will go between NWMSU and Augie. The Bearcats won two games very comfortably this weekend and probably got some decent rest. Augie, on the other hand, will be playing its 4th game in 6 days (played Friday, a tough one Saturday, a tougher one than I'd've liked last night and they take on the Justin Pittses this Thursday). Not exactly the best schedule when your only hope of winning is limiting Pitts to 20-ish points and making a bunch of your threes--two things that are tough to do if you're worn-out.

Hopefully they get some rest over the next two days and can come out ready to play on Thursday. As I've already mentioned, if it's a 7 point loss for the Vikes, I won't be shocked and if it's a 24 point loss for the Vikes, I equally won't be shocked. The only thing that would really surprise me is if we pull out the win. NWMSU looks really good, as expected. Even if we do get better as the year goes on, I don't feel like we're ready to take down the Bearcats at this stage of the season. But I certainly won't complain if I'm wrong. :)
        Its looking like Augie and Kato might be the only teams that can represent the NSIC in the regional this year. I will say though I think WSU should have a shot to make it, they have the talent. That would be quite the fall from where the NSIC has been over last 10 plus years. But it has been coming, the overall talent in the league has been getting worse and the play is looking more like upper level D3 basketball. The word is out that Minnesota/Iowa/Wisconsin have some good basketball players and those smaller D1s are taking in a good amount of them.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofnsic View Post
          Its looking like Augie and Kato might be the only teams that can represent the NSIC in the regional this year. I will say though I think WSU should have a shot to make it, they have the talent. That would be quite the fall from where the NSIC has been over last 10 plus years. But it has been coming, the overall talent in the league has been getting worse and the play is looking more like upper level D3 basketball. The word is out that Minnesota/Iowa/Wisconsin have some good basketball players and those smaller D1s are taking in a good amount of them.
          I'm a little reluctant to put Augie into that category until we're a few weeks into conference play. I like that they took down the GAC preseason favorite when they beat East Central on Saturday, but having watched 3 games now, there are still a few concerns that will need to be addressed before I feel like the Vikes are a legitimate Regional contender. Maybe Augieholic would disagree, but I think even he would have to admit we're probably still a few steps away from a Regional berth as it stands today. Then again, maybe I'm just already getting into regular season Apostle of Apprehension form. Preseason is over, after all.

Also, I have heard that Moorhead looks solid, even if they did drop one to a GAC team this weekend.

Comment

I'm not prepared to making any leaps on who will be in the regional after 2 games

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
              I'm not prepared to making any leaps on who will be in the regional after 2 games
              I would wait at least until the January white sales begin. I haven't put up my Christmas lights up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                It's way more fun to jump the gun and start making bold (or in my case, anti-bold) predictions now though.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofnsic View Post
                  I went to the game on Saturday. Tough to gain solid evidence through such an over-matched opponent but came away with the impression that WSU should have a really nice eight man core rotation of Bauman, Bambenek, Gray, Mongan, Jeffs, Koontz, Gathje and Flack. Flack didn't suit up as it looked like he had some kind of a leg injury. Sophomore Domask got some good minutes and looks like he has a future as well.

Nice length in the starting lineup with 6'8" Bambenek, 6'8" Gathje and 6"7" Jeffs with 6"7 Koonz first off the bench. When standing side-by-side Gathje looks clearly taller than Bauman so maybe he goes more like 6"9'. Jeffs as a junior looks much more confident and true sophomore Gathje looks quite a bit more comfortable as well. Two true freshman, Caleb Wagner and Winona local walk-on PJ Appicelli are suiting up while the trees, Imiger and Treder, as well as Dalante Peyton are redshirting. Glad to see that.

Looked to me like the team could be pretty good but we will know a lot more when they start playing somebody closer to their talent level. Next up St. Mary's which should be another mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                    I went to the game on Saturday. Tough to gain solid evidence through such an over-matched opponent but came away with the impression that WSU should have a really nice eight man core rotation of Bauman, Bambenek, Gray, Mongan, Jeffs, Koontz, Gathje and Flack. Flack didn't suit up as it looked like he had some kind of a leg injury. Sophomore Domask got some good minutes and looks like he has a future as well.

Nice length in the starting lineup with 6'8" Bambenek, 6'8" Gathje and 6"7" Jeffs with 6"7 Koonz first off the bench. When standing side-by-side Gathje looks clearly taller than Bauman so maybe he goes more like 6"9'. Jeffs as a junior looks much more confident and true sophomore Gathje looks quite a bit more comfortable as well. Two true freshman, Caleb Wagner and Winona local walk-on PJ Appicelli are suiting up while the trees, Imiger and Treder, as well as Dalante Peyton are redshirting. Glad to see that.

Looked to me like the team could be pretty good but we will know a lot more when they start playing somebody closer to their talent level. Next up St. Mary's which should be another mismatch.
                    Must've been a good (and interesting) offseason for Bambenek.

Comment

I swear that when Bambenek plays the Mavs that he is ten feet tall and bulletproof!

Comment

Details-Details; Bauman. I should have said Bambanek adds some nice size as a 6'5" guard as well.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          I swear that when Bambenek plays the Mavs that he is ten feet tall and bulletproof!
                          And he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                            And he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Comment

It's way more fun to jump the gun and start making bold (or in my case, anti-bold) predictions now though.
                              Speaking of jumping the gun, how 'bout those Cougars? Central Regional here they come!!

Regarding Thursday's round 4 between the Vikings and Bearcats all the signs point to the 'Cats winning by double digits. Pitts will get his offensively, the vaunted McCollum D will suffocate the passing/driving lanes, and a choppy Vikings offense encountering more growing pains than Kirk Cameron doesn't seem prepared to counter punch.

Having said that, is everyone prepared to seriously address the possibility of spending THE ENTIRE MONTH OF MARCH at the Sioux Falls Pentagon if the heavily favored 'Cats and future National POY Justin Pitts fail to capitalize on this talent and experience disparity?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X