Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwest vs Augie

Game is Thursday at 7pm at Bearcat Arena. NW beat Augie in 2014-15 66-65 in the playoffs. Lost to Augie last year 77-79 in the regular season and 80-78 in the playoffs. All 3 games took place up in Sioux Falls. Should be a great crowd at Northwest.
    #18 Augustana at #6 Northwest

Re: Northwest vs Augie

All the ingredients are in place for a NW win by double digits. Augie's offense is a group effort (6 players averaging at least 8ppg) and it has been prone to stretches of "noffense" (copyright Colt45, RIP) versus unproven competition. The Bearcat D could absolutely eat this team alive if they aren't able to stretch the floor with effective 3 point shooting and lanes for Spencer to puncture.

The Viking D has looked adequate with Warren and Beyer roaming the perimeter and true frosh Lucas Walford trying to block everything in sight down low. Justin Pitts scoffs at adequate and I expect nothing short of a 25 point 8 assist 1 turnover performance from the Mighty Mouse of Maryville.

I see it as a 65-49 win for NW. Augie's best chance for the upset is setting fire to the 3 point line and/or Jordan Spencer being able to somewhat match Pitts' production and making it a battle of supporting casts.

Comment

I have been pleadantly surprised by Anthony Woods' production the first two games. He is been very effective off the dribble and slashing to the basket. Northwest will need to continue to have him as a secondary scoring threat to Pitts. It will also be interesting to see the availability of Chris Ndow. He missed the first two games due to illness and reportedly had lost 9 pounds. He brings a whole new level of athleticism to the game. Schneider's been off the first two games but always shoots better at home. Let's hope he is on from long-range this evening. I'd be somewhat surprised with the double digit victory, I'm just hoping for a victory.

Comment

Originally posted by 86Catillac View Post
        I have been pleadantly surprised by Anthony Woods' production the first two games. He is been very effective off the dribble and slashing to the basket. Northwest will need to continue to have him as a secondary scoring threat to Pitts. It will also be interesting to see the availability of Chris Ndow. He missed the first two games due to illness and reportedly had lost 9 pounds. He brings a whole new level of athleticism to the game. Schneider's been off the first two games but always shoots better at home. Let's hope he is on from long-range this evening. I'd be somewhat surprised with the double digit victory, I'm just hoping for a victory.
        Like Augieholic, I'll be more surprised if you guys don't win by double digits than if you do. You're going to see a vastly different Augustana team than you guys saw last March.

Then again, I'll be perfectly happy if you don't win by double digits. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          All the ingredients are in place for a NW win by double digits. Augie's offense is a group effort (6 players averaging at least 8ppg) and it has been prone to stretches of "noffense" (copyright Colt45, RIP) versus unproven competition. The Bearcat D could absolutely eat this team alive if they aren't able to stretch the floor with effective 3 point shooting and lanes for Spencer to puncture.

The Viking D has looked adequate with Warren and Beyer roaming the perimeter and true frosh Lucas Walford trying to block everything in sight down low. Justin Pitts scoffs at adequate and I expect nothing short of a 25 point 8 assist 1 turnover performance from the Mighty Mouse of Maryville.

I see it as a 65-49 win for NW. Augie's best chance for the upset is setting fire to the 3 point line and/or Jordan Spencer being able to somewhat match Pitts' production and making it a battle of supporting casts.
          To be fair, they did beat a pretty good East Central team in Weatherford. They were the GAC Preseason favorites. However, as we all know, the Pre-season rankings don't mean jack squat, especially in the GAC where it seems like the best team in the GAC rotates just about every other year.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

I've tried telling people around campus that this game should not be close. This is Augustana in name only this year. Augie's best 3 players last year were all seniors, and were all great players. NW lost one guy (Crooker) who was a really good player but still had everyone else coming back. I think Northwest will come out and try to make a statement and win by 10-20 points. I have a lot of respect for Augie and they were the best team in D2 last year.
            I will be at the game tonight, should be a good crowd./

Comment

This is going about how I thought it would. Feels weird having a team that isn't EXPECTED to win every game.

Comment

45-21 at the half. Augie has 12 turnovers already. Several plays that resulted in the Vikes literally passing it directly into a Bearcat's hands for easy points.

Short of a legendary, Braveheart-esque halftime speech, I don't see the Vikes making it much closer in the 2nd half. Pitts looked like he was going at about 60%, so if it gets even remotely close and he turns it up to 90-100%, I'm guessing NWMSU will be just fine.

Comment

45-21 at halftime. Pitts has 14 points (4/5 from ). Woods and Ndow with 9 points each. Augie's defense can't stay in front of Woods. Defense keying hard on Pitts and Schnieder. Leaving open lanes for Woods to slice through. I said Northwest would come out and try to make a statement and they have. Northwest is 8/13 for 3.

Comment

Have to give Augie props for getting back into it the 2nd half after being down 24 at half. Won't make Ben happy.
                    Go Hounds!
                    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                    Cyclone Power
                    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Good win for NW.
                      Go Hounds!
                      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                      Cyclone Power
                      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Everything went as expected in Maryville, congrats to the Cats. Hopefully that isn't the last time Augie plays there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                          Have to give Augie props for getting back into it the 2nd half after being down 24 at half. Won't make Ben happy.
                          Totally agree.

Comment

Too bad there had to be a half tonight...NW was blowing Augie out of the gym when time expired at the half. I know they'd make a run on us. Congrats to NW on a great win and kudos to Bearcat Nation on such a great turnout!

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                              If that was the case, then neither coach was very happy. Don't think I've ever heard Coach Billeter more fired up on a post-game radio interview. To paraphrase, he felt like the Vikes came out flat and played not to lose the entire first half before pulling it together in the second half. Very complimentary of NWMSU the entire time, but just frustrated that we didn't come out ready to compete the way we need to against an in-region foe who is a very likely contender to host the Regional.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X