Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-2018 Minnesota State Thread

Mavericks' 2018-19 roster is up. I noticed that Jay Knuth is not listed. Does anyone know why he is not on the team?

Re: 2018-2018 Minnesota State Thread

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
    Mavericks' 2018-19 roster is up. I noticed that Jay Knuth is not listed. Does anyone know why he is not on the team?
    No idea. If I get to the FB game tomorrow I will see if someone has information regarding that. I assume everyone else expected to be back is?

Comment

I'm still in full MSU football and soccer mode. If I run into anyone else from the Hoops Club tomorrow I'll try to find out.

Comment

He was injured all season last year and has been in college 4-5 years already. He likely graduated and/or is done with basketball. Will try to get the info.

Comment

Minn. St. Athletics
          @msumavericks
          Following Following @msumavericks
          More
          Big congrats to fmr @MinnStateMBBall guard Cameron Hodges. Played for Mavericks 2009-11. Named Player Development Assistant w/San Antonio @spurs

Comment

Today is the first day of official practice for D1 schools, is that true for D2 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
              Today is the first day of official practice for D1 schools, is that true for D2 as well?
              Believe D2 officially starts in mid-October.

Comment

Not that it means much but CBS Sports did their annual best team from each state (D1) only.....and they mentioned what I've been saying for years.

"My annual statement of disbelief: Minnesota, the 12th-largest state by area and 22nd-largest by population, only has one Division I men's basketball team."

This state deserves more. I know Laker hates it because we'd likely play non scholarship football but I would gladly volunteer as next school up if it meant we are D1.

See the link below for the article.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...SPM-16-10abi8e

Comment

This state deserves more. I know Laker hates it because we'd likely play non scholarship football but I would gladly volunteer as next school up if it meant we are D1.
                  I kind of like having the #1 ranked football team in the nation and having a great chance of making, and even hosting, the playoffs every year. Besides, football is my favorite sport.

You would NEVER host a D1 NCAA tournament basketball game at Mankato. Ever. I'd rather drive 70 miles than fly- or not go at all. I loved it when the regional was in Mankato.

The state would never give us the kind of money that they give the U. Do you really think that the interest would be there to fill the Taylor Center like it used to be? I think that ship has sailed. Too many people who SAY they would follow D1 basketball and use that as an excuse not to go to games now. D1 would mean much higher ticket prices. I doubt if students would get in for free anymore. It would probably hurt the sports other than basketball. The Summit would be the only likely conference to join- and we would be back to competing with the Dakota schools, all of whom have big advantages.

Comment

Yes yes it's always fun to be ranked #1. We can both agree the football program has been the crown Jewel of the athletic department for a few years now and they are a blast to watch win games.

Football is your favorite sport as it is many Americans, but Basketball is my true love. I would like to see us compete as close to the top level as possible. I truly do believe that the fans would come back to the games if we went D1.

As for ticket prices NDSU at UND a late season conference game between hated rivals in the Summit cost as little as $23. I'd drop that on a D1 ball game every day. I'd be willing to bet the students tuition would rise and pay for tickets just like the tuition does now, as free as they claim it is, we all know we are paying for it.

Just my opinion and I know it's a pipe dream because there's a lot of doubt about being a successful D1 school, but I'd say with a leadership committed to Athletics all sports would in time be successful like the hockey program.

If we were to join the Summit I would be more than willing to bet our non football sports would compete fairly well initially except for women's basketball.

Comment

As for ticket prices NDSU at UND a late season conference game between hated rivals in the Summit cost as little as $23. I'd drop that on a D1 ball game every day. I'd be willing to bet the students tuition would rise and pay for tickets just like the tuition does now, as free as they claim it is, we all know we are paying for it.
                      IMO, but this is an all-around bad idea. Raising tuition to pay for sports programs of all things probably isn't going to sit well with a lot of people. Tuition is high enough as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                        IMO, but this is an all-around bad idea. Raising tuition to pay for sports programs of all things probably isn't going to sit well with a lot of people. Tuition is high enough as it is.
                        The students would probably have a vote on it. The last time I remember having a student vote dealing with athletics included artificial turf and a bubble over the football field like they have at SCSU, Minot and Concordia. It got voted down and a lot of alumni who we had called to raise part of the money for the project were not the least bit happy that the money they had donated wouldn't be going for that.

Most students don't go to games. They are already burdened with debt. I don't see a vote to increase their debt passing.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          The students would probably have a vote on it. The last time I remember having a student vote dealing with athletics included artificial turf and a bubble over the football field like they have at SCSU, Minot and Concordia. It got voted down and a lot of alumni who we had called to raise part of the money for the project were not the least bit happy that the money they had donated wouldn't be going for that.

Most students don't go to games. They are already burdened with debt. I don't see a vote to increase their debt passing.
                          Most students are working a job (or two) on nights and weekends. My old work schedule allowed me one home football game a year and covered about 50% of the volleyball and basketball seasons. That was work alone - that doesn't count studying. I still worked less hours than a lot of my fellow students, even when I had two jobs.

I would not be happy working more to pay the increase in tuition for a benefit that I can't use because I'm working extra to pay it.

Actually, I'll be a PT student at MSU in the Spring and while I want to take in a few sporting events, I won't be able to do much because of the 100 mile stretch in between Mankato and Marshall. Increasing tuition would certainly make me rethink my decision.

Comment

Nice overtime win today for the Mavs at St. Cloud. It looked like they were out of it early in the second half; down by 13 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                              Nice overtime win today for the Mavs at St. Cloud. It looked like they were out of it early in the second half; down by 13 or so.
                              They were down by 14 in the second half. I thought it was over but they kept pecking away. Great comeback. Nice crowd for a mid November afternoon game. Talked to Alex Hanks, former MSU player, and his family. Great people.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X