Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasn't able to watch the games at Northwest, but listened to most. It was good to see TC come alive in the second half after a rough first--a guy that can score 20 points in 27 minutes needs to avoid foul trouble. With nobody else but Milhollin contributing much offensively, it was a good effort to keep it as close as it was.

Good win for the women, never really giving your rival much hope on their home floor.

Hays and Kearney come to town Thursday and Friday--really big games on the women's side, with all three having just two losses in conference play.

Comment

• Both teams remain unbeaten at Looney. Huge win for the women, 75-58 points over No. 10 ranked Fort Hays State. This team can flat out defend, holding Hays to a season low in points, almost 20 points below their average. The 75 points was also the most the Tigers had given up all year (almost 20 points higher than their average). Huge night from Simone Walker with a career-high 21 points, and another double-double from Corbyn Cunningham. Now they face a Kearney team that has won six straight.

The men expected to win over a Hays team that had just one win in conference, and it showed, jumping out to a 12-0 lead and only twice seeing the lead dip below double digits, both in the first half on the way to a 79-63 win. Coach Smith made the observation late in the game that it had been a long time since the Griffons had a wire-to-wire game that was never really in doubt in league play, and that got me curious so I looked back. Last year at SBU was close - the Bearcats scored the first bucket but the Griffons led by double digits most of the way. Otherwise you may have to go back to the upset of Washburn in the first round of the MIAA tournament in 2016, where the Griffons built a 15-4 lead and it got down to 9 a few times but never closer. Not a particularly well-played game, but it was great to see big games from Will Eames (18 points, 8 boards, 7-11 from the field in just 28 minutes) and Jaron Thames (12 pts, 9 rebs) in addition to the usual from TC and Milhollin.

Comment

• Highlights!

Comment

• Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
          Both teams remain unbeaten at Looney. Huge win for the women, 75-58 points over No. 10 ranked Fort Hays State. This team can flat out defend, holding Hays to a season low in points, almost 20 points below their average. The 75 points was also the most the Tigers had given up all year (almost 20 points higher than their average). Huge night from Simone Walker with a career-high 21 points, and another double-double from Corbyn Cunningham. Now they face a Kearney team that has won six straight.

The men expected to win over a Hays team that had just one win in conference, and it showed, jumping out to a 12-0 lead and only twice seeing the lead dip below double digits, both in the first half on the way to a 79-63 win. Coach Smith made the observation late in the game that it had been a long time since the Griffons had a wire-to-wire game that was never really in doubt in league play, and that got me curious so I looked back. Last year at SBU was close - the Bearcats scored the first bucket but the Griffons led by double digits most of the way. Otherwise you may have to go back to the upset of Washburn in the first round of the MIAA tournament in 2016, where the Griffons built a 15-4 lead and it got down to 9 a few times but never closer. Not a particularly well-played game, but it was great to see big games from Will Eames (18 points, 8 boards, 7-11 from the field in just 28 minutes) and Jaron Thames (12 pts, 9 rebs) in addition to the usual from TC and Milhollin.
          That's a big win for the women. I'm going to try to catch their game at MW vs. Pitt St in February.

Comment

• The Griffon men now have three wins over teams ahead of them in the conference standings with an 81-75 win over Nebraska-Kearney. (Importantly for tiebreaker purposes, they don't play any of those three again, but do have second games against three of the four teams that have beaten them). The 7-0 home record is their best start in 15 years. I believe this is the first time above .500 this late in the conference schedule since they were 6-4 and 7-5 in 2010-11 (finished 10-12). A career-high 24 points and 3 assists for Jaron Thames, along with six rebounds--I think as he develops and finishes more drives at the rim instead of pulling up for the jumper he will be a very dangerous player. Off night for Carroll shooting, but still finished with 13 points and 7 assists. Milhollin with 16 and as coach said in postgame, the most important part of his game may have been the shots he didn't take. Beau Baker played the most minutes he's played in a while and tied a season-high with 11 points (4-5 from the field) to go with 7 boards. Will Eames had a career-high 14 points and just missed becoming the fifth Griffon in double figures with 9 points.

Tough loss for the women. falling to UNK 60-57 in a back-and-forth affair that neither team led by more than 8. As well as this team has defended, they let Kearney shoot 50 percent in the first quarter (including making their first four shots) and that was probably the difference in the ballgame. First loss in the Fieldhouse for the women. Big night for Anastacia Johnson with 20 points in 27 minutes. Corbyn Cunningham with another double-double, 15 points and 10 boards. But the rest of the team went a combined 7-36 from the field.

Last edited by GrifFan; 01-26-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• The Griffon men lead wire-to-wire in an 83-74 win at UCO last night to match their conference win total from last year (6) with nine to play. Five Griffons in double figures, including a double-double from Eames (19, 11).

Tough one for the women. Came from 17 down with 7 minutes to play in the game to take a one-point lead with 12 seconds to play, but gave up a put-back off a missed 3 at the other end to lose 70-69. First back-to-back losses for the Griffons all year.

Comment

• Griffon men avenge a road loss and remain perfect at home with a win over Lincoln:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt4a6B5U-N8

Griffon women build a big lead and cruise:

Comment

• Comment

• I agree huge wins for both MWSU teams. Women jump back in the regional discussion imo and men get a win total higher than 12 for the first time in 10 years ( unless I'm just mistaken). Men have some very tough games left but it's encouraging for a young team. For the women the schedule softens a little.

Comment

• NWMSU @ MWSU 2/25 should be a barn burner. NW should bring plenty of fans so should be a great atmosphere

Comment

• Big games left but I told you it wouldn't take long to make strides.

Griff Up!

Comment

• Comment

• Ticket punched for KC with five games to play, seven-game winning streak is the longest in nearly 20 years, etc., etc. This is way ahead of where I expected this year. Yes, the schedule gets tougher, with two games against Southern and one against Northwest, and what could be a key matchup to end the year against Washburn. But after Saturday, the last four will be at home.

Tough loss for the women. Battled all night but gave up the last 8 points to lose 74-71. The Griffons had been playing good defense, but the 74 points tied for the second highest point total they have given up this year. Get a chance to get them back next week on the home floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                              Ticket punched for KC with five games to play, seven-game winning streak is the longest in nearly 20 years, etc., etc. This is way ahead of where I expected this year. Yes, the schedule gets tougher, with two games against Southern and one against Northwest, and what could be a key matchup to end the year against Washburn. But after Saturday, the last four will be at home.

Tough loss for the women. Battled all night but gave up the last 8 points to lose 74-71. The Griffons had been playing good defense, but the 74 points tied for the second highest point total they have given up this year. Get a chance to get them back next week on the home floor.
                              Protect Looney!

Comment

• Not a surprising loss to MoSo, of course, especially with Milhollin not on the trip. Remaining four games are at home, with three of the four against teams that have already beaten the Griffons.

The women bounced back with a needed win at Southern. Big return game Wednesday vs. Pitt State at home.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X