X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mule4ever
    replied
    Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
    After today, with wins over MSSU and NW, lifetime extension for Coach K.
    How about if MSSU or NW takes him and UCM will take their coach since UCM only has two conference wins.

Leave a comment:

• mosofan1
    replied
    After today, with wins over MSSU and NW, lifetime extension for Coach K.

Leave a comment:

• Shanghai Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

I'm not sure saying "most of the basketball facilities in the MIAA have the feel of a high school gym" is correct. But I don't think FHSU's Gross Coliseum, ESU's White Auditorium, UNK's Health & Sports Center or the NSU Event Center are anything like high school gyms. And Lance Arena at PSU, Looney Fieldhouse at MWSU and the Leggett & Platt Center at MSSU have a very similar feel to the Multi - at least for me.

I agree that it's not that big a stretch to imagine PE classes taking place in Jason Gym (LU), Bearcat Arena (NWMSU), Fugate Gym (Newman), Lee Arena (WU) and Hamilton Fieldhouse (UCO).

And the place at Rogers State is neither a high school gym or basketball arena - its rodeo arena with a basketball floor in it.
    Let me walk back my statement a little bit. I should have said "a few" instead of "most". As you pointed out, there are some decent basketball venues in the MIAA. It sounds like you've been to all of them,so I'll defer to your analysis.

Leave a comment:

• Hornetfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Shanghai Mule View Post

UCM basketball history and good teams for sure. The Multiple Purpose Building (Multi) is the most unimaginative name for a building that I have ever heard. It makes me cringe when it's referred to by its full name. There should be a write-in campaign to rename the facility. I would love to see UCM build a basketball only facility that seats maybe 8,000 and has the intimate feel of a bowl design. It's all about donors with deep pockets stepping forward to make it happen. Unlike large D1 programs, there aren't that many big donors at D2 schools to fund separate facilities for each sport. Thus, most D2 schools are forced to build a multi use facility to support many sports. When the Multi was built it housed basketball, volleyball, indoor track & field, wrestling, swimming & diving and offices for the athletic department. Most of the basketball facilities in the MIAA have the feel of a high school gym. I do think the Multi has a 'big time' basketball feel because of it's size and ability to hold approx 8,000 fans. What hurts the feel of the Multi for basketball are the open site lines on each end that extend all the way to the edge of the building. I've always felt that they could give the court a more intimate feel by curtaining off (floor to ceiling) the vast spaces beyond each end of the basketball court. Seems like a fairly moderate expenditure to enhance the experience of an already nice D2 facility for basketball.
    I'm not sure saying "most of the basketball facilities in the MIAA have the feel of a high school gym" is correct. But I don't think FHSU's Gross Coliseum, ESU's White Auditorium, UNK's Health & Sports Center or the NSU Event Center are anything like high school gyms. And Lance Arena at PSU, Looney Fieldhouse at MWSU and the Leggett & Platt Center at MSSU have a very similar feel to the Multi - at least for me.

I agree that it's not that big a stretch to imagine PE classes taking place in Jason Gym (LU), Bearcat Arena (NWMSU), Fugate Gym (Newman), Lee Arena (WU) and Hamilton Fieldhouse (UCO).

And the place at Rogers State is neither a high school gym or basketball arena - its rodeo arena with a basketball floor in it.

Leave a comment:

• Shanghai Mule
    replied
    Coach K's success at his last employer, Arkansas Tech. was a big reason he was hired by UCM. I'm not sure why he could win at Tech and not UCM. Oh well, no reason to continue beating a dead horse. His fate is sealed and UCM will have a new coach next season.

Leave a comment:

• NWHoops
    replied

UCM basketball history and good teams for sure. The Multiple Purpose Building (Multi) is the most unimaginative name for a building that I have ever heard. It makes me cringe when it's referred to by its full name. There should be a write-in campaign to rename the facility. I would love to see UCM build a basketball only facility that seats maybe 8,000 and has the intimate feel of a bowl design. It's all about donors with deep pockets stepping forward to make it happen. Unlike large D1 programs, there aren't that many big donors at D2 schools to fund separate facilities for each sport. Thus, most D2 schools are forced to build a multi use facility to support many sports. When the Multi was built it housed basketball, volleyball, indoor track & field, wrestling, swimming & diving and offices for the athletic department. Most of the basketball facilities in the MIAA have the feel of a high school gym. I do think the Multi has a 'big time' basketball feel because of it's size and ability to hold approx 8,000 fans. What hurts the feel of the Multi for basketball are the open site lines on each end that extend all the way to the edge of the building. I've always felt that they could give the court a more intimate feel by curtaining off (floor to ceiling) the vast spaces beyond each end of the basketball court. Seems like a fairly moderate expenditure to enhance the experience of an already nice D2 facility for basketball.
    Yeah I agree with this. I think curtains could do wonders for the facility.

Also, completely understand the donor situation. NW has plans and renderings for an update to Bearcat Arena that would add some seats, create open concourses (possibly some suites i think as well), remove the cables that support the roof, etc. but after the indoor facility I have to believe a lot of those funding sources are tapped out. It's unfortunate because this is the time to make those improvements with the recent success of the team. Who knows, in 5 years the momentum could be gone for that kind of change.

OK, back to ripping Coach K. Sorry to interrupt.

Leave a comment:

• Shanghai Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Honest question- what about the multi makes you think it is great? If it's the history and the good teams that have played there then I can understand that. However, I find it (and pretty much any place that uses a multipurpose facility as it's basketball arena) lacking in atmosphere. It feels like there is so much empty space in those types of facilities.
    Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 01-17-2020, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hornetfan
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Justin Balcome no longer on roster, what's up?
    My understanding is that he just doesn't want to play basketball anymore. I think he is still in school and on scholarship.

Leave a comment:

• NWHoops
    replied

The Jennies are awesome and deserve the marquee time slot of 7:30. The Mules should play at 5:30 over in the old Garrison Gym and stop stinking up our great basketball arena (The Multi).
    Honest question- what about the multi makes you think it is great? If it's the history and the good teams that have played there then I can understand that. However, I find it (and pretty much any place that uses a multipurpose facility as it's basketball arena) lacking in atmosphere. It feels like there is so much empty space in those types of facilities.

Leave a comment:

• Shanghai Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post

You are probably correct or they come to see the first place Jennies. Also Brad Loos came to the game. I personally would like to see Coach Anderson come back as the A.D. I think he would be a great improvement and he could pick the next men's basketball coach. It seems to me that the current A.D. (yes I know his name) has an extremely long leash and doesn't know when the ship is sinking. Now it will take a minimum of two or three years to get back in post season contention.
    The Jennies are awesome and deserve the marquee time slot of 7:30. The Mules should play at 5:30 over in the old Garrison Gym and stop stinking up our great basketball arena (The Multi).

Kim Anderson would be a great AD, but I haven't heard anything about Jerry Hughes retiring. Jerry has done a good job and current basketball coach K has been his only whiff in the past few years. When Jerry does retire, I would like to see UCM go get Shawn Jones back from Henderson State. Shawn has done a good job at HS, but I think he might jump at the chance to take over at UCM.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Transferred from Northern to Emporia this year, now no longer listed. 6'10, lots of range, redshirted at NSU and played a little at Emporia.

Leave a comment:

• Donkeydamus
    replied
    Nobody by that name on the roster for the last four years. Obvious inside joke, so I'll bite.......who is Justin Balcome ?

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by ichabodhater View Post

If mules fans are rabid, animal control needs to be in the arena to give them their shots!

Leave a comment:

• Mule4ever
    replied
    Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    The attendance for the Mules home loss to Pitt State on Wednesday was 3,000. I assume half of them came out purely to show support for coach Anderson and sign a petition to bring him back to UCM.
    You are probably correct or they come to see the first place Jennies. Also Brad Loos came to the game. I personally would like to see Coach Anderson come back as the A.D. I think he would be a great improvement and he could pick the next men's basketball coach. It seems to me that the current A.D. (yes I know his name) has an extremely long leash and doesn't know when the ship is sinking. Now it will take a minimum of two or three years to get back in post season contention.

Leave a comment:

• Kiss My Ass
    replied
    The attendance for the Mules home loss to Pitt State on Wednesday was 3,000. I assume half of them came out purely to show support for coach Anderson and sign a petition to bring him back to UCM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X