Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big One: NW MO at MO Southern

Comment

Wow, you really put yourself out there...................:). I predict the team that scores the most points will win.

Comment

Comment

Comment

NW will only suit up 8 players this week and will likely only play 6

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
              NW will only suit up 8 players this week and will likely only play 6
              This seems to be the only number of players Ben ever needs. His formula for success would be an interesting study. How often have successful teams in almost any sport ever experienced so much success with basically no subs? They never seem to tire, the key is avoiding the injury bug. But even then, such as when Welty went down for a couple of games, the other big 3 just stepped it up.

Comment

I think the matchups in this one will be interesting. Last year, Cam Martin guarded Diego quite a little bit. It allowed him to sag and stay out of foul trouble. Diego is a more confident offensive threat this year, but still not a consistent jump shooter... will Boschee go back to this matchup? Can Diego take advantage of it if he does? I like the control that Hudgins plays with... the moment is never too big or too fast, so having that calming force, especially early in a game where players could be overly amped should bode well for NW. I also feel like foul trouble one way or the other could be a factor... Hawkins and some Dougherty will probably have to guard Martin the bulk of the game. NW will need Hawk's scoring, so he needs to stay on the floor. The reverse is true for Martin, I think he's a matchup nightmare, and if he's saddled with foul trouble that can only help the cause for NW. If I were a betting man, I'd probably go with MoSo at home in a close one... Southern it seems, last year notwithstanding, has always been a thorn in our side.

Northwest winning this game, would nearly lock up hosting the regional, and it would be interesting to see how MoSo responds. NW would have the change to put everything back on track in Maryville next week if they lose this game. I think mentally, it's a bigger game for MoSo.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post

This seems to be the only number of players Ben ever needs. His formula for success would be an interesting study. How often have successful teams in almost any sport ever experienced so much success with basically no subs? They never seem to tire, the key is avoiding the injury bug. But even then, such as when Welty went down for a couple of games, the other big 3 just stepped it up.
                  They've been pretty fortunate... it caught up to us a couple of years ago went Pitts got hurt and it looked like it was going to in the Elite 8 last year when Joey went down. The training staff pulled off a miracle there... his Willis Reed moment. lol Luke Waters got banged up in our last game and has been providing some scoring lately as well as being another 6' 7" body... hopefully, he is able to go. I know you would only want us at full strength. ;) The first game in Maryville last year, Cam hurt his foot and NW kind of pulled away a little bit, so I think they elected to sit him... just hate to see that type of thing for either team. I'm excited... should be a great game!

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
                    I think the matchups in this one will be interesting. Last year, Cam Martin guarded Diego quite a little bit. It allowed him to sag and stay out of foul trouble. Diego is a more confident offensive threat this year, but still not a consistent jump shooter... will Boschee go back to this matchup? Can Diego take advantage of it if he does? I like the control that Hudgins plays with... the moment is never too big or too fast, so having that calming force, especially early in a game where players could be overly amped should bode well for NW. I also feel like foul trouble one way or the other could be a factor... Hawkins and some Dougherty will probably have to guard Martin the bulk of the game. NW will need Hawk's scoring, so he needs to stay on the floor. The reverse is true for Martin, I think he's a matchup nightmare, and if he's saddled with foul trouble that can only help the cause for NW. If I were a betting man, I'd probably go with MoSo at home in a close one... Southern it seems, last year notwithstanding, has always been a thorn in our side.

Northwest winning this game, would nearly lock up hosting the regional, and it would be interesting to see how MoSo responds. NW would have the change to put everything back on track in Maryville next week if they lose this game. I think mentally, it's a bigger game for MoSo.
                    Agree totally, especially on the bigger game for MoSo. What is really fascinating is the fact that NW and MoSo could see each other 4 times in the next month.

Comment

It's pretty amazing to this outsider what NW does with so little depth. Northern has only really played 7 guys in our most competitive games this year and it always makes me nervous that we don't have more that we can trust. Anyway, as for this game it seems like NW is playing really well right now so I can't pick against them. If Martin is able to dominate like he is capable of doing and perhaps gets some home cooking from the refs and stays out of foul trouble, Mo Southern could take down NW. If he doesn't, I don't like their chances. This game is almost enough to make me pay for the MIAA app for a day, but I'm probably too cheap and won't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                        It's pretty amazing to this outsider what NW does with so little depth. Northern has only really played 7 guys in our most competitive games this year and it always makes me nervous that we don't have more that we can trust. Anyway, as for this game it seems like NW is playing really well right now so I can't pick against them. If Martin is able to dominate like he is capable of doing and perhaps gets some home cooking from the refs and stays out of foul trouble, Mo Southern could take down NW. If he doesn't, I don't like their chances. This game is almost enough to make me pay for the MIAA app for a day, but I'm probably too cheap and won't see it.
                        One of the reasons NW can get by with so few is the fact that they like to slow the game down. They allow very few fast breaks from opposing teams and will actually walk the ball up the court when they are on offense. NW really likes the half court game and many times will use most of the shot clock. I personally think they will try and limit 3 pointers from MoSo with their tight man to man def. Obviously NW needs to be on offensively to come away with the win. Come on, Thunder, part with the $8 and enjoy the game. :)

Comment

Comment

It had to be tempting to pull Hudgens redshirt that year, assuming they knew what they had. I'm glad they didn't, but it makes for an interesting "what if?"

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                              It's a bit of a chicken and egg issue for NW. Mac trusts who he trusts and plays them a ton. Therefore, it's hard to recruit and/or keep solid players in the program if they know their time is going to be limited. Injuries or transfers have included Finley (lost for year in game against Duke), Rhodes transfer to Florida Southern (if he could predict the future maybe he's still here and getting a lot of minutes with Finley out), and Blair transferred after about a week on campus but is a heck of a player and showing it at Duluth. Seems like he recruits for depth but can't keep them here most likely due to playing time. Additionally, when you've had 3 All-American point guards in a row, there won't be a lot of playing time for the backup.

Couple that with Dougherty out a few weeks this year with injury and now Waters banged up. Welty missed a few games with injury. They really haven't been lucky in the injury category this year but continue to play well.

I agree with Alfred33 about the Cam/Diego matchup. If Cam guards Diego and Diego can hit the 3 it changes the complete gameplan for MSSU to allow Cam to protect the rim. Additionally, the games NW have struggled this year have been with Hawkins in foul trouble so they have to keep him in the game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X